which $150 video card?

se4b4ss

Gawd
I am planning on upgrading my PC and have decided on everything except which video card to get. My budget for the video card maxes out at $150 although I am ok with mail-in rebates.

Here's what I have now and will be reusing (rest is in sig):
Antec LifeStyle SONATA II
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129155

LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106014

Here's what I'm ordering:
Intel E6420
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115016

GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 LGA 775
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813128017

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820231098

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822148140

I have a 19" 4x3 monitor now and will probably move to a larger widescreen or dual 4x3s this year. I will continue to run Windows XP Pro for a long time and am not buying a video card so that I can play Crysis or any other DX10 games. I do game, but not much, I also video edit and use Photoshop for web design.

Which current, established card(s) do you guys recommend that will fit my needs and my planned system?

TIA,
Steve

fyi, 19" is 5:4 and not 4:3. Having said that, I would suggest a 7900GS/GT or x1950 Pro/XT for that price range.

I second the 7900gs and x1950pro for your price range. Since you said $150 max, the1950xt is out of your range, but it is a bit better than pro (15% faster or so at stock). As for the 7900GT, I didn't know they still sold those new, only the 7950gt. You can probably find those used.

i would pay the little bit extra and get the x1950xt... a lot of muscle for the price... even beats a 512mb 7950gt

Why's that?

It's just a terrible board if you plan to overclock - lots and lots of problems. Check my 10 page thread on how much it sucks, and why, and proof it does, and then many others also chime in to explain why it does.

It's just a terrible board if you plan to overclock - lots and lots of problems. Check my 10 page thread on how much it sucks, and why, and proof it does, and then many others also chime in to explain why it does.

Gotcha. I don't plan to overclock so I guess that's a moot point.

I hate gigabyte too it sucks

i had a board it craped out after 2 months
what a pos

I hate gigabyte too it sucks

i had a board it craped out after 2 months
what a pos

:/ I must be very lucky... I have an gigabyte/939/agp *$70* in my amd system and yet it still has been running pretty well for almost 2years now... well except that the onboard sound/nic died but other then that still great.. But I avoided gigabyte and went with the intel d975xbx for my intel build... but takes some time to boot :/

:/ I must be very lucky... I have an gigabyte/939/agp *$70* in my amd system and yet it still has been running pretty well for almost 2years now... well except that the onboard sound/nic died but other then that still great.. But I avoided gigabyte and went with the intel d975xbx for my intel build... but takes some time to boot :/

im not talking about the brand, I'm talking about the chipset/motherboard in specific he selected - the S3/DS3 are horrible for overclocking NOW - the very first rev 1.0 and 2.0 models were not too bad, but the rev 3.3's are horrid.. there are hundreds of threads to show it.

im not talking about the brand, I'm talking about the chipset/motherboard in specific he selected - the S3/DS3 are horrible for overclocking NOW - the very first rev 1.0 and 2.0 models were not too bad, but the rev 3.3's are horrid.. there are hundreds of threads to show it.

I guess the fact that I run 3.2ghz @ 1.425v and have run 3.44ghz @ 1.5375v, without pushing further, means that my rev3.3 ds3 is horrible at overclocking?

I guess the fact that I run 3.2ghz @ 1.425v and have run 3.44ghz @ 1.5375v, without pushing further, means that my rev3.3 ds3 is horrible at overclocking?

oh boy I just knew you would follow me in here to disagree with me in another thread once I saw what motherboard you had. The threads on the issue speak for themselves, some get lucky, but many get terrible results.

oh boy I just knew you would follow me in here to disagree with me in another thread once I saw what motherboard you had. The threads on the issue speak for themselves, some get lucky, but many get terrible results.

Too each their own. I've had great experiences with this board in my own system, as well as the two other systems I've built for friends.

And as a sidenote: don't flatter yourself, I'm not following you around. I'm simply giving my opinion on a motherboard you've made a claim about, but have no personal experience with.

Too each their own. I've had great experiences with this board in my own system, as well as the two other systems I've built for friends.

And as a sidenote: don't flatter yourself, I'm not following you around. I'm simply giving my opinion on a motherboard you've made a claim about, but have no personal experience with.

I like how you don't even bother to consider that I might have owned one. I've owned 4 - if you read my post explaining the 10 page thread I had revolving around this board you'd realize I'm probably more knowledgable about the DS3/S3 than many on this forum. Don't troll.

Post a link next time then. I didn't see one in here.

"Don't be a dick."

Try not being one yourself?

Post a link next time then. I didn't see one in here.

"Don't be a dick."

Try not being one yourself?

I edited it to "Troll" as I thought it was more appropriate. I was merely supplying information to the poster in an attempt for him to avoid the troubles I, and several others have encountered - something I never had the benefit of. He won't be overclocking, so I told him he's fine. Then, you interjected in a rather rude way to insinuate that I personally and intentionally insulted you and all owners of the motherboard by saying it's plagued with problems. I played it off, and then you again ran off trying to provoke me again. I assume you perceived me as being some inexperienced shit talker you were going to show up, but quite the contrary I do know what I'm talking about, and i wouldn't make a blanket statement like "highly suggest another motherboard" unless I really had experience and concerns for him. I could drudge up 50 threads to show the S3/DS3 is junk for overclocking -- I've done it before in the exact same type of confrontation, but I'd hope you would just take my word that some people have had problems with it, and leave it at that.

Thanks for sh1tting all over this thread guys...

hahahah, at least they worked out their differences (kind of).

In response to your original inquiry, I would take a look at this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102061

X1950Pro. Compared to the Nvidia 7 series cards, this one gives better Image Quality. For the current gen, I think Nvidia is in a VERY strong lead, but every gen previous, I always bought ATI.

But the 7950GT is faster in some games, so that's also a pretty good buy.

Thanks for sh1tting all over this thread guys...

it was for your own benefit - you'll be owning that motherboard in question soon enough :)

If I were you... and I *really* suggest thinking it over - I was in your position just a few months ago, and I decided on the 8800GTS (and a DS3 but lets not go there again) and I definately made the right decision - hold your build off until you can get yourself an 8800GTS - DX10 is important - and it's a big jump over all the other cards - you want to get your foot into the next gen, and not the last step in the prev gen.

Back