...Whew!

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie
I have an eVGA 680i motherboard with an [email protected] w/2 1GB sticks of PC5300

..anyways , if you are familiar with this mobo , you know that there have been a few bios updates recently to address some issues a lot of users were experiencing .. I wasn't having any problems but being the adventurous "cutting edge" individual that I am , I have been grabbing the beta bios updates and all that ..

well ..eVGA put out a P23 final bios and had a hotfix update you could do from windows to get your bios up to current ..

It was 2 in the morning and I haven't slept much all week to boot and with crap running in the background and computer still overclocked in windows ..I ran the hotfix update ..rebooted and get the nice XP-64 boot screen ....then ...

Bam!

..blue screen saying I didnt have APIC enabled or something like that . So I go into bios and moving around in bios seemed delayed and clunky and then it locks up in bios. I then unplugged the power , reset cmos and fire her back up again and relax memory timing and drop multi on cpu and bios locks up before I could save anything ...

I then pulled a one stick of ram out and then booted up and was able to make some changes and save the changes and windows boots up and gives me the blue screen again about APIC not enabled (of which it was). I then grab my floppy disc that had the P23 beta bios on it and unplug all my SATA drives and then I hit ALT+F2 to do a flash back to the beta bios and it gets to the little "flashing" screen and then hangs there ..I let it sit there and fell asleep ..woke up and it was still on that screen ...yay

I then went to where I work and to my computer lab and went to eVGA's site to get their utility to make a bootable floppy and flash via a floppy disc instead of the mobo's built in flasher ..I made 2 discs in case one didnt work as I knew these floppies weren't in the greatest shape..

I came home and first floppy errored out failing to load caldera ...booted off of second disc and it got farther and then gave a different error ...more yay..

So now I grab a stack of floppies that I found in my room and head over to my church to use the office computer and tested the floppies and 3 of them seemed ok so went to eVGA again and downloaded the floppy making utility and made 3 discs ..

I come back home and boot off of first floppy ..it errors out ..I put in second floppy and it boots up and gets farther and gives error but gives me option to retry ..so I put in 3rd disc and then ..... ...... .. I can't stand it so I go into the kitchen and shoot the breeze with my sister and her husband a bit .... ... come back to my room and ...AAAAAaaAAAAHH!!! .. it said it flashed successfully !!! ..so as I trembled a bit with excitement ..I powered down my box .. unplugged the juice , replugged in my SATA drives and put the stick of memory back in that I took out and fired her back up again ...

aaahh ..get back into bios I go and its back to its normal feel ..and I load up bios defaults and save, then reset my computer again ..back into bios and reset my overclocks and mem settings ..and all is good in ThreeDee land once again ..

All I can say about that now is ...Yuh Bonehead!

:)

[F]old|[H]ard

this reminds me of when my friend and i tried to laod sata drivers in the windows xp setup screen.. we had to go through 3-4 floppys before we found one with no errors.... i now threw away those error causing floppys....

I'm always the person never to experience any problems with experimental hardware or software. Never.

I bought the 680i, E6600 @ 3.0GHz with 2GB of DDR2-1000 @1000MHz, and since I updated the BIOS to P23 Final, I've not had a single problem with anything.

Windows XP runs flawlessly, no hard drive corruption - hell, I even re-built my SATA array from my old machine with the same striping and it STILL works.

Sorry to hear all of these problems that you're experiencing. :(

Dark_Legacy said:
I'm always the person never to experience any problems with experimental hardware or software. Never.

I bought the 680i, E6600 @ 3.0GHz with 2GB of DDR2-1000 @1000MHz, and since I updated the BIOS to P23 Final, I've not had a single problem with anything.

Windows XP runs flawlessly, no hard drive corruption - hell, I even re-built my SATA array from my old machine with the same striping and it STILL works.

Sorry to hear all of these problems that you're experiencing. :(
haha that was me as well when I was younger. Seems I'm getting too old to be able to keep up and not have a headache.

As for the floppy situation, I couldn't agree more with you. I don't have any more floppies now. They all died pretty much a year ago when I went through the same frenzy

Sounds like "the nightmare before xmass"

Good your back on the straight and narrow.........

Totalchaos said:
Sounds like "the nightmare before xmass"

Good your back on the straight and narrow.........
floppies are of the devil I tell yuh ..lol :p

..and yes , all is running great and trouble free again .. just a boneheaded mistake of flashing my bios while I had a bunch of crap running and doing it still in an overclocked state to boot = BoneHead!

:D

Merry Christmas Everybody!

[F]old|[H]ard

You forgot rule #1, never flash the bios on an overclocked machine, followed by rule #2, none of make our best decisions about these things at 2 AM ;)

Glad it worked out for you :)

Is there anything else as worse in DA WORLD then your RIG (Especially one you build) out of action!!!!!!

Jesus its a bad feeling!!!!!

Wonda-Boy said:
Is there anything else as worse in DA WORLD then your RIG (Especially one you build) out of action!!!!!!

..especially when you are the culprit of it's demise
:p

[F]old|[H]ard

Back