Where's the [H] Review Of The 3800+ X2 ???!!

Scroatdog

[H]ard|Gawd
Seems like there have only been a sprinking of sites to review this new chip. So far I've had to bounce around ocforums and Xtreme forums to find out what this chip is capable of (OC). I'd like to know if this chip suffers from the same poor heat transfer onto the IHS, and if it has problems overclocking both cores. I'd also like to see [H] apply it on their test bench like squeezing a watermelon with a vice!!

Regardless of the 512 meg cache, if people can consistently get a 600-1000MHz gain then this would be the best bang for the buck overclocking X2, sort of the 2.4C of Pentuim Land.

Scroatdog said:
Seems like there have only been a sprinking of sites to review this new chip. So far I've had to bounce around ocforums and Xtreme forums to find out what this chip is capable of (OC). I'd like to know if this chip suffers from the same poor heat transfer onto the IHS, and if it has problems overclocking both cores. I'd also like to see [H] apply it on their test bench like squeezing a watermelon with a vice!!

Regardless of the 512 meg cache, if people can consistently get a 600-1000MHz gain then this would be the best bang for the buck overclocking X2, sort of the 2.4C of Pentuim Land.
what's this IHS talk? please explain what you mean by "I'd like to know if this chip suffers from the same poor heat transfer onto the IHS", and put it in context.

IHS is intergrated heat spreader. When you look at an A64, it is the metal plate like thing on the chip. Its supposed to evenly distribute the heat over an even surface. In some cases however, it seems to trap heat and your chip may actually run cooler with it off by increasing the efficiency of heat transfer. atleast, that is what i think it does. Someone correct me if I am wrong

don't get me wrong, I know exactly what an IHS is.

I want to know, what the OP meant by "if this chip suffers from the same poor heat transfer onto the IHS".

Is he referring to the X2?

Is he referring to all processors with heatspreaders?

The only reason I ask, is that I have heard some theorizing (if you could call it that) that the reason 1 core OC's better than the other core (on the X2) is due to thermal differences brought on by one core having better contact with the IHS.

I wanted to make sure that this isn't what he meant.

Though, I think it is what he meant, as wouldn't all processors with a IHS suffer the same effects of a IHS (of course, I am referring to the benefit seen when the IHS on a A64 is removed). There's no reason for this to have changed with the 3800+.

Now, if he is speaking on the conjecture that "1" of the X2 cores doesn't OC as well due to poor IHS contact, this seems BS to me. It isn't as if the cores are just slapped next to each other. I do not think the IHS could hurt one core, but not the other.

Also, I do not think 2.6-3.0ghz is going to be the average range of overclocks on these (unless everyone watercools the X2, and even then, probably not as high as 3.0, more like 2.4-2.8). The highest end X2s don't even do that on average (little high on the top end), but hey, who's counting.

I'd expect an "average" OC to be 2.3-2.6

No, what I meant was the current crop of X2's................... and how more than a few people are reporting high temps, then removing the heat spreader and seeing much better temperatures. Some of these folks have removed the heatspreader and seen some better temps, BUT it seems to be a dramatic reduction in temps after removing an X2's heatspreader. The "conspiracy" theory is that AMD may have rushed the chips into production too quickly, resulting in not-so-optimal contact between the heatspreader and the core. And my questions about the IHS and whether one core clocks better than the other are unrelated.

Does that clear it up for you, Mike????

Also, with regard to the overclocks, the posts I have been reading are from air cooling. One guy in particular saw 2.7 right off the bat with 1.57 volts. Same guy took it to 3.0, 1.7 volts. A little high volt-wise on air, but maybe less voltage can take it there on water.

oh, I see.

I highly doubt that deal on the X2. Dramatic temp drops (~7C load) are seen anytime the IHS is removed on the rev. e's.

I don't think the theory makes much sense, it is just a different spin on old news, removing the heatspreader on the A64 helps out temps a bit.

Of course, if there is an even greater reduction than 7C load (that's a venice, not a X2), then I'd certainly be game for some theory stuff, but honestly, I don't think it's true, and I'm surprised I've never seen it come up on this forum, though, this place is by no means the be all end all of info, hell I can only think of 5 people at the most that have removed the IHS of any A64 on here, though I'm not exactly looking for them either.

Do you have a thread/site link for the IHS deal?

I don't really see any alarming data that suggest a huge manufacturing flaw that results in poor OC'ing. The pic of the 3800+ with the IHS off in the 2nd thread seems to show the IHS making very good contact. I'd imagine the IHS is better removed off of any chip, and that X2's offer the same benefits (but not especially greater).

Back