Where to start?

peanuthead

Supreme [H]ardness
Long story short I have been using VMWare workstation 7&8 for about 1.5-2 years and that started the virtualization bug. I started to work with it more around the work environment and now I am all in. I am in the near finishing stages of completing my home lab (or so I thing I am nearing completion).

I've been reading countless threads here and articles on blogs. My main question is "Where do I start?" I am looking to first complete out my VCP and MCP first, I think. I have hte Train Signal discs for VCP certification and the local community college offers VMWare Academy courses but I am trying not to step into a classroom until I have at least a chance to swallow the basics first. Thoughts and Suggestions?

Without knowing what hardware comprises your home lab its hard to say. I would suggest you download a free copy of ESXi and get your feet wet with that, assuming your hardware will support it. There are number of good books on the market on ESXi 5, its very capable and scales well. What are your goals with virtualization, where do you see yourself using this knowledge, where do you wan to get a job?

local community college offers VMWare Academy courses but I am trying not to step into a classroom until I have at least a chance to swallow the basics first. Thoughts and Suggestions?
That class is for people like you. It basically starts with "Go to File, Click on File, Click on Open", go take it.

Thanks to all for the feedback. My hardware is definitely capable and supported by ESXi. Off to read some more.

Back