where to purchase

gigglebyte

2[H]4U
I am working on a project and I am looking for some high power LEDs...and when I say high power...I am talking 200-400 lumen. I have found a couple but need to see other prices. Any assistance is appreciated

right now I am looking at white but may also need Green and Blue. I will check both those places out. Think I have already seen digikey though and for a 225 lumen white its $14 :eek:

ok...ordered some 200k mcd whites cheaper than the 265k by .66 each and actually put out about the same considering the viewing angle...now here is another question for you all...this is going to be hooked up to a 12V system on a boat and I have already figured out the circuit for it. I know on an AC system I would need a driver to convert to DC as well as step it to 12V....since I am hooking to a 12V system already...do I need to do something similar?

oh and Adrenaline...I saw those but I would be concerned about working with SMD's...been a long time since I have soldered any of those (18+ years) but I did consider those since you can mount on the rebel star base and get apx 420 lumen out of a single package...never know...might go with those if these aren't bright enough

420 lumen.... it's got to be more than coincidence ;) (Pssst - hey man, got a light? Oh yeah man - here try this rebel star)

Sometimes bgmicro.com has some, and if they don't it's a fun browse anyway - hobbyists can walk away much lighter in the wallet, so beware...

.bh.

I actually just orded a bunch for work to make a high speed camera light.
Do you want big or small?
http://www.componentsuperstore.com/...dentifier=LXMLPWC10050LUMILEDSLIGHTING5538459
is a tiny smd LED up to 95lm at 750mA - 2USD
(3mm wide, 4mm long, 2mm thick at the lense)

Adrenaline - I have some questions about working with those tiny LEDs like how hard is it to work with them....how do they connect to the PCB (or what ever substrate you are using) and what is the heat output? I got my batch of the 10mm 200k mcds and I don't know if they are going to be bright enough at 95 lumen each..won't know for sure until this weekend but from what I saw last night I don't think it will be enough :( (damn prototyping)

The little ones aren't too bad.
There is a "large" electrically isolated thermal pad on the back.

We ended up using a piece of 4"x1/2"x1/16" copper that I tinned. Tweezed the LED and soldered the thermal pad to the piece of copper, keeping the electrical pads hanging off. This allowed the wiring in series to be relatively easy.

Then potted the whole mess in clear epoxy.

We do not need too much light so we are running 8 in series at 24VDC at 200mA. The copper starts to show some heat after a half hour.

At the rated 700mA the copper does get pretty warm but I don't think over 40C.

The biggest problem I see for you, if you want a spot light you will need to make a reflector and maybe a lense. The optical output is labertian, good for our area coverage, bad for a spot light.

Just experimenting I was thinking about stealing a reflector out of a flashlight, or machining a parabolic reflector out of some 6061.

well the prototype went poof last night....resistors are there for a REASON!! oh well...would have liked to make it perfect the first time I knew it wouldn't happen ;) proof of concept is going to be a little different...going to try 50w Halogen 12v and see what that puts out...and if that is bright enough...see what I need to do to get LEDs to that output...should be interesting

Back