• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Where to mount additional fans

bl1tzk1213g

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Apr 14, 2011
Messages
364
I will be doing a ilttle make over when my watercooling stuff arrives. I have a gigabyte 3d aurora 570 cause and I want to improve airflow if it isn't enough. It currently has 1 120mm high speed YL in front for intake and 2 120mm high speed YL at the rear for exhaust. I already removed the HD bay which was blocking the intake fan. I will be using the glass window so i'm kinda concerned on the airflow. Will it be enough for 1 120mm intake fan? If not I have two extra 120mm fans laying around and thinking of mounting it on top of the case as an intake fan but it would be blocked by some PSU wires or should I put it on the bottom of the case right below the videocard? My only concern placing it on the bottom is the trouble of putting the case on the carpet if needed. Thanks!
 
Looking at the far better selection of pictures that is on Newegg's page for this case, I noticed a couple things.

1. The front fan was primarily put there to cool the hard drive(s) in the sideways cage (not a fan of that design, as there's really no good way to cool them, so I applaud your decision to remove the cage). I'm guessing you put your hard drive(s) up in the 5.25" bays? Hopefully with a cooling fan/radiator on them, so it/they don't overheat?

2. The pictures I saw showed a mesh side to the case, which would be where any additional air flow into the case would occur. If you're putting a window behind the mesh (or in place of it), then yes, you could easily cut a hole with a cheap hole saw (or dremel, or rotozip), plus 4 screw holes, and mount another fan there, for additional in-flowing air. You could also just match the airflow from your two exhaust fans, to the intake fan, by using a fan controller (and maybe cut back on your noise level, too, that way).

One question? Where's your watercooling radiator going to be?
 
Thanks for the reply. Actually this is my case

This is how it looked before.

This is how it looks as of now and this

I will be using a RX360 radiator that will be mounted behind the case. Since I'll be water cooler, i want to install the clear glass window that came with the case. I know when water cooled the water blocks are not affected by the case airflow but the rest are like chipset, hd etc. I know they might not be big heat sources that's why I was thinking if my current fans are enough.

Also, can I switch up the air flow of the case? Making the two exhausts at back as "intakes" and using the front intake fan as "exhaust"? This way I have two intake and one exhaust?
 
Thanks for the reply. Actually this is my case

This is how it looked before.

This is how it looks as of now and this

I will be using a RX360 radiator that will be mounted behind the case. Since I'll be water cooler, i want to install the clear glass window that came with the case. I know when water cooled the water blocks are not affected by the case airflow but the rest are like chipset, hd etc. I know they might not be big heat sources that's why I was thinking if my current fans are enough.

Also, can I switch up the air flow of the case? Making the two exhausts at back as "intakes" and using the front intake fan as "exhaust"? This way I have two intake and one exhaust?

Your fans should be fine the way they are, I mean they are fine now right?
 
I have no idea cause I've been using the mesh grilled instead of the glass window so I wouldn't know how much temp it will increase when I start using the glass window. I currently have the case out for painting.

I was just wondering if I should additional fans, and if ever, where would be a good place to mount it.
 
That's a relief. Thank you very much :)

If anything it would help it by allowing more pressure and airflow due to it not escaping out of the side window. Oh and no problem. post some pic's of you doing it i would like to see, That's a good looking case.
 
I have no idea cause I've been using the mesh grilled instead of the glass window so I wouldn't know how much temp it will increase when I start using the glass window.
You can always cover the side vent with some newspaper and some tape to see how much of a difference it makes on temperatures, before switching to a window.

That side vent is too close to the exhaust fans though, and I imagine quite a bit of air must be coming in through the vent and going straight out the back without passing over the components. So replacing it with a window might actually be a good idea.

But then by substituting the mesh with a window you will have 3 exhaust fans (2 at back + PSU) and the 1 fan at the front as the only intake, and might end up with dust trapped in every nook and cranny imaginable.

The solution: make a hybrid window? (top half acrylic and the bottom half mesh) :p
 
Hehe lol at the hybrid! interesting idea hahaha. But I went on and decided to put a fan at the bottom of the case anyways just in case. I can always cover the bottom with some sort of foam hehehe
 
Back
Top