• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Where to limit guess access?

Thall860

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 7, 2009
Messages
98
I work for a Private High school and we are going to have a Zayo fiber line brought to the building to feed our 1300 student iPads and other stuff in the building. We have a full HP wireless/wired network. Currently the set up is for the guest VLAN to port to our DSL modem on its own switch port off of the cores. This leaves it separate from everything else and slow enough to not make everyone jump on and use it.

My question is this- Now that we are eliminating our DSL in favor for 100Mb Zayo and 50Mb comcast backup/load balance and the guest will now be routed with the rest of the traffic out to the Internet, where should I rate limit the guest?

I would like to tune the guest network down to 10-15Mb to not hog up the rest of the traffic.

Our network is as follows Core (acting as gateway)->ASA5510->Peplink Load balancer->Modems

I am figuring the best place would either be the HP core switch or the ASA... Is there simply a way to put a bandwidth restriction on a VLAN?
 
I'd look at imposing a layered approach to limitation. You should be able to set a limitation via the HP Wireless system on a per client basis. Where is the gateway for the Guest VLAN? I'm assuming that your network diagram says that it's the core, or does it pass to the 5510 also? I'd look at a global limitation for the guest network as well.
 
Last edited:
The current gateway for the guest is Core->modem. No firewall.

PS our cores are 5406zl's
 
The current gateway for the guest is Core->modem. No firewall.

PS our cores are 5406zl's
A quick Google query shows that bandwidth shaping is available on the 5406zl's with the premium software. As I'm not an HP switching expert, I'd start there and see if you have the correct software and what the commands are.

Usually the password :p
Smartass :D
 
Back
Top