• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Where to go from here? E8400

Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
3,343
This morning I've been looking at my options for the near future. I know that i7 is coming soon, but I'd like to get a little boost before then.

I run my e8400 @ 3.6Ghz with DDR2-800 RAM. I was thinking of replacing the RAM with something higher-clocked so I could get 3.8-4.0GHz out of the CPU, but I would have to run at well above stock voltage to do so. I'd rather just grab an E8600 and run 1:1 with my RAM at 4.0GHz at stock volts, that sounds amazingly sweet.

Assuming I can sell my e8400 for $150, what's the better option:

E8600 for $130, or new RAM for $~90 and deal with a rebate and higher temps? :(
 
?!?!

Keep the E8400 @ 3.6 .. what real world gains are you going to get from a new chip? basically none.

3.6 vs 4.0 .. meh.. no difference.
 
Yeah, this is what happens when people have more money than common sense

I guess reading the e8600 thread at Xtremesystems got me a little too excited
 
Tell me about it - I just bought an E8600 to replace my 4GHz E8400... Ugh. :)
 
Tell me about it - I just bought an E8600 to replace my 4GHz E8400... Ugh. :)

Let us know if there's any difference!

I'd especially like to know if you can run it at the same speed as your 8400 with a significantly lower voltage.
 
unless you have some super strong cooling, don't expect anything over 4GHz on either chip. In reality, don't "expect" any overclocking at all. You can get 2 of the exact same chips, one may OC to 4GHz, the other may not be able to break anything over 100MHz over stock...
 
For reference, this is the Retail e8600 thread I mentioned: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197505

According to the Xbit labs review, 3.9-4.0 is possible on stock volts, 4.5GHz+ possible at 1.4V and above. Since the stock VID of these is lower than that of the non-E0 Wolfdales, this means 4GHz and undervolting compared to the previous revision.

It gets here Wednesday, I'll update this thread with results. Yes, the E0 E8600 is a freakin beast. Almost every owner is able to do 4GHz on stock volts or much lower. Considering that's where my E8400 is at 1.375V, that's huge. My hope is to hit 4.4GHz-4.5GHz with 1.4V/1.45V max. Pretty sure it's doable. I've got good air cooling.
 
please...

I've seen this in practice, though most often with the E2xxx series chips. It happens.

OP, your chip is plenty fast. Hold on to it another 8-10 months until Nehalem and DDR3 are more or less affordable and upgrade then. You won't see any appreciable different without an architecture switch at this point, no reason to throw money at a non-existent problem.
 
unless you have some super strong cooling, don't expect anything over 4GHz on either chip. In reality, don't "expect" any overclocking at all. You can get 2 of the exact same chips, one may OC to 4GHz, the other may not be able to break anything over 100MHz over stock...

All the posts I've seen from people who have E0 chips have shown excellent overclocking results. Obviously it's possible to get a lemon, but pretty much all reports point to it being a piece of cake to get these chips to 4GHz with decent cooling (read: Xigmatek HDT-S1283, which is hardly an excessive cooler), and even higher speeds aren't too hard to achieve either. Basically, you can expect these chips to hit 4.5GHz at around the same rate as the older chips hit 4GHz. You aren't wrong to be a little pessimistic, but chances are looking very good that most of these chips are kickass overclockers.
 
imho I'd keep the e8400 and only upgrade if...
a) you are going to Nehalem
b) can find a cheap q9650 when Nehalem comes around.
 
read the 8600 thread at xs more closely. admittedly, i havent read it in a day or 2, but exactly 1 guy did 4500 or better at less than 1.44v vcore. and zero guys did 5ghz at less than 1.55v vcore and used at least water cooling.
in the last 4 or 5 years i have had at least 35 intel and amd cpus and i can remember maybe 2 or 3 that overclocked 33% on stock voltage. if you have an 8400, dont bother buying an 8600.
 
Dangit! UPS shows mine being delivered tomorrow, not today. ARGH. Gotta wait another day! The suspense is killing me! :)
 
Back
Top