• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Where to go from 9700 pro?

ZeroMaxx

n00b
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
43
OK. My video card still gets me through everything. However I am wanting to go to s939 and pci-x now and be more prepped for the future. My loyal barton just doesn't cut it any more. I want to know what everyone thinks i should go with as far as pci-e ON THE CHEAP. Less than 200$. I was thinking one of the x700's. Oh and if you have an opinion on the new ram give that too.

Current setup:
Barton 3000+ /333
2x 512mb mix-n-match ram ddr 333
Biostar M7VIT Pro mobo
Radeon 9700 Pro

New setup:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D
GeIL Ultra 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR 400
(Insert good but affordable PCI-e video card here)
 
Hot Deals section has a BFG 6800OC (12pipe) currently on sale for $199.00. People have been softmodding these to GT's.

EDIT: Sorry as Nuc_E pointed out, its AGP
 
ncantador said:
Hot Deals section has a BFG 6800OC (12pipe) currently on sale for $199.00. People have been softmodding these to GT's.

The BFG in the Hot Deals section is AGP.



To the OP: If you must be under $200, the 6600gt is the way to go. I wouldn't bother with the x700pro. If you must go with ATI, save up a little and go with the x800xl or x800pro. Also its PCIe not PCI-X ;). PCI-X is an entirely different interface from PCIe.
 
mentok1982 said:
The best card is the X800XL but you will get near the same performance with the X800 Pro.

If you buy two 6600 GT's you will get about the same performance as the X800 Pro depending on the game.

You must be smoking something.

The Xl kills the pro and the dual 6600gt's kill the pro as well, in fact never buy a pro, ever. The pro is a hack this run around, really I consider the XL the pro of this generation.

~Adam
 
Oh screw it.... I want you guys to know I am holding you personally responsible. I am going to go with the 800xl. If I am short on a vehicle payment I am coming back here and taking donations. I swear you are like crack dealers.... :D
 
The Xtasy line of video cards from Visiontek are guaranteed for life. All of them incl the hi end platinum line. Thier prices are also lower than most venders out there. I would not recommend ordering a platinum series because the demand is far higher than the supply. Therefore you will probably have to wait several weeks for the product. The have most all lines of the cards, and you can purchase directly from the mfg. Yes they do sell to end users. Look at www.visiontek.com and shop around.
 
ZeroMaxx said:
Oh screw it.... I want you guys to know I am holding you personally responsible. I am going to go with the 800xl. If I am short on a vehicle payment I am coming back here and taking donations. I swear you are like crack dealers.... :D

I actually planned on emulating your rig in a SFF system. And yes...this place is crack :)

-tReP
 
Don't buy it until you pay the vehicle payment dude, some stupid gfx card isn't worth f*cking your credit up and/or possibly messing up and losing a car or house or whatever.

Get a 6600gt, it's a really good card and it is about 20% better than that 9700pro + you can dual it up later or sell it, it'll have some decent selling power I'm sure.

Edit: OR get the X700pro/X800 nonpro, the X800 non-pro is a good option too.

~Adam
 
CleanSlate said:
Edit: OR get the X700pro/X800 nonpro, the X800 non-pro is a good option too.

~Adam

Negative, no reason to get these

X800XL, 6800NU, or 6600GT... no other cards
 
The x800 non-pro is a great option, it rocks the 6600gt's socks off.. it is a 12 piper for about 180-200 which is sweeeet. Perhaps not the x700pro, I concede that that's not a good option.

~Adam
 
Tigerblade said:
LMAO....not for the prices OP wants to pay.....or if he wants his card soon :D

tru.dat, these cards are a ways off in both availability and price range!
 
Back
Top