Where to get small window

malingjc

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all. I just got a Antec Minuet case. It is freaking sweet. Unfortunately, due to its small size, it is extremely hard to find a window kit to fit it and I don't have the modding skills to cut plexiglas in straight lines...heh.

I would guess I need about a 9" by 7 1/2" or 8" oval or rounded square. Heck I'd be happy with a 8" circle window. I'd also like a rubber-grommit surround type window.

If you don't feel like looking up the case, it is a flex-atx style case with the glossy black sides like the Sonata.

Also, for lighting, since the case isn't even 12" high, are there constant-on blue or red LED strips I can get in like 3"-6" size just to get a little bit of light? Or is there a cheaper alternative?

I don't know if you guys saw that EL AMD logo on FrozenCPU, but it is ridicuously cool.

I would appreciate some opinions on what I could do to make the case a little cooler for LAN partying and make it a little more of a conversation piece.

If by chance you're interested, since I'm not made of money, and this being my 3rd most powerful PC, it is a:

Athlon 1Ghz (200Mhz Socket A)
Asus A7N266-VM nForce1 mobo
512mb PC2100 ram
40gb Maxtor 7200rpm HD
48x $8 CDROM :p
Using onboard LAN, graphics (GF2), and audio
Dlink DWL-520 WLAN-b low-profile card

Go to home depot or lowes or any other hardware store and knab a piece of plexiglass/lexan for about 5 dollars a sheet. Go to autozone or another auto parts store and grab some of the moulding.

You could probably make 3 or 4 windows with these materials and make your own designs. Looks much better and more original.

Check out DRxAndy's recent example (minus the moulding)

Pictures of Case, and dimensions

I figure a 7" or 8" round window would look pimp. 7" would probably be better. I've done some plexi work before but not a ton.

I know I could get home depot to cut it to 7" x 7" square for me, but is there an easy way to dremel the circle and the circle for the case?

Maybe some tips?

If you didn't use the moulding, you could easily do a circle because you wouldn't have to cut the plexi in a circle... you could just use epoxy on the backside...

but if you REALLY REALLY REALLY must have a circle, check your local phone book for glass shops and see if they can cut it for you... if you buy the plexi from them and have them cut it, you might get it for the same price (or close) as if you bought it from home depot or such...

As for a hole in the case, what tools do you have a available? A jigsaw would probably be your best bet. Cover the panel in masking tape and use a compass or a large bowl as a "stencil" for the circle.

Oh, and in all truth, I think your case would look better without a window ;)

Do you by chance know where to get a pre-cut 8" round plexi circle? That would make things ulitmately easy.

Also, has anyone used the 4" cold cathodes from Shattered Web? They looked pretty impressive and not all that expensive. I also got a mid-sized AthlonXP logo (7 1/2" or so wide) to put on the window, being that you all know that I love my Athlons...heh.

I ended up making about a 8x7 rounded rectangle. Unfortunately the rubber surround is such a bitch that my finger joints are killing me and it won't stay on right, any tips?

Back