where to get pci-e 6800's?

i3lacKnyte

Limp Gawd
will pci express 6800 nu/ultra/gt's be hitting retail channels anytime soon? i cant find them anywhere, on google or pricewatch, at least for sale.

not until late august, the only PCI-E cards out right now are low end X300, X600 from ATi and PCIX5900 and PCIX5750 ... the 5900 is like a standard 5900 tho, should hold you over

Dillusion said:
not until late august, the only PCI-E cards out right now are low end X300, X600 from ATi and PCIX5900 and PCIX5750 ... the 5900 is like a standard 5900 tho, should hold you over

thanks for the info, i had just decided that i am going to stick with agp for now until the technology matures. i found some dates, various resellers are going to be getting them between mid to late august just like you said. i thought it would be a good question to ask since i know there are probably others like me, who build every couple of years, and are wondering if investing in all of the new technologies now will help prolong our upgrade path.

MSI is the only company that I know of that actually states that their MSI NX6800 Ultra supports PCI Express. To the best of my knowledge and through lots of research, their card supports AGP natively, but is compatible with PCI Express using nVidia's bridge chip, known as HSI or high speed interconnect. I have an awesome box that awaits one of these cards as I type this. I have preordered the card, an cannot wait to test it. I actually took the plunge on PCI Express, because like you, want to get the most longevity out of my purchase. My hardware consists of this: Abit AA8, 1 Gig Corsair XMS2 Pro 667 MHz, Antec TRUE550, 2 Seagate SATA 160 Gigs, and other stuff. The card is supposed to ship this Friday. I'll let you know what I find.

How about getting the agp cards on the shelves in decent numbers first. (unless of course you bought a pci-e mobo and need a card desperately) :p

Biff said:
MSI is the only company that I know of that actually states that their MSI NX6800 Ultra supports PCI Express. To the best of my knowledge and through lots of research, their card supports AGP natively, but is compatible with PCI Express using nVidia's bridge chip, known as HSI or high speed interconnect. I have an awesome box that awaits one of these cards as I type this. I have preordered the card, an cannot wait to test it. I actually took the plunge on PCI Express, because like you, want to get the most longevity out of my purchase. My hardware consists of this: Abit AA8, 1 Gig Corsair XMS2 Pro 667 MHz, Antec TRUE550, 2 Seagate SATA 160 Gigs, and other stuff. The card is supposed to ship this Friday. I'll let you know what I find.

ye getting a PCI-E 6800U before everyone gets their AGP 6800U's ? hilarious lol

well i didnt buy yet, going to this week definetly. i have had my eye on this because i am a storage whore. but i have been thinking about just going with a regular agp board, and i can always add a hard drive controller card as needed to expand to my storage needs. the price of ddr2 memory isnt exactly easy on the wallet either, heh.

gigabyte makes a pci-E 1x/16x + agp 8x/PCI board called the dua-A , i just made a system with it, great board

Dillusion said:
ye getting a PCI-E 6800U before everyone gets their AGP 6800U's ? hilarious lol

We shall see whose laughing when I post the benchies next Tuesday. :D

lol the fact taht you can get a pCI-E is funny, not the fact of availability :p

i am building a pci-e machine and tonight i'm ordering the last part i need (power supply) except for the graphics card which I am willing to hold out till the end of august (going to college) to get it... i'll prolly go look for my voodoo 3 pci graphics card LOL and run the system with it until I can get my godlike 6800 ultra pic-e card....

Dillusion said:
gigabyte makes a pci-E 1x/16x + agp 8x/PCI board called the dua-A , i just made a system with it, great board

hey Dillusion i need some help man. I jsut bought the Giga-byte 915P Duo-A and i cant seem to get my graphics card to work right on the agp slot. I picked up a eVGA geforce 6800 Standard and it benches like a 9800pro on 3dmark 2003. needless to say im UBER pissed. I might have to drop some money and try to sell this one and buy a pci-e GT when it comes out. you having any problems with the motherboard?

P.S. onboard audio sounds like crap too. my old SB Live! 5.1 owns up on it easy. im hoping maybe i jsut got a bad motherboard.

...someone help me...

Not a lot of demand for the PCI-express versions at the moment, and they are more expensive to produce since it requires their HSI to work since the NV40 core is natively AGP 8X. More than likely Nvidia will continue to just make a few and wait until NV48 (actually NV48e in this case) to make a good number of high end PCI-Express cards as by then the supporting motherboards should be more widespread as Intel wants 50% of their boards sold to be PCI-express by years end.

Back