Where to get a system built?

LabRat

2[H]4U
A co-worker of mine wants to get a comp for some light gaming (will get heavier as the kids get older), internet, and word processing. He is likely to need decent tech suport (which is why I'm not building it for him). Any suggestions on companys to go with?

Thanks.

"Dude, you're getting a Dell!"

For the internet and stuff, don't really need much there. Dells are pretty good if you gotta go OEM.

Interesting bit of advice i learned last night: Since 98 dell has used a proprietary Power supply, physically similar to a regular atx but ass backwards. If the psu or motherboard dies, youll fry either hooking up a regular psu. Why this isnt more common or reported im not sure.

Get it from a local computer store or order a complete system online.

Of OEMS id go with tigerdirect.

Research your locals.

Go with him when he narrows it down to 1 or 2 stores, and ask the questions he doesn't know how to ask to judge the quality of the store/employees/tech support.

You can usually get a system (at least you can here in the PacNW) similarly priced to Dell/Gateway etc - or even approaching homebuilt - and have LOCAL tech support. The negative is that that tech support is often 9-5 instead of 24 hour.

BB

Yes, Wixard is right. The Dells these days use proprietary PSUs that have been rewired. If the PSU goes or whatnot, you'll have to go through Dell or buy a special Dell-compatible PSU from PC Power & Cooling.

That might factor heavily into your decision, but remember that almost all OEMs use some form of proprietary parts either way.

I agree billy, but there are some people who argue for OEMs like most OEM products are actually good or something.

By and large they cut corners when possible, the scanner/printer/webcam you get with that computer probably cost them 70 bucks for all 3. The ram/proc/mobo/psu etc are always going to be bare minnimum.

I mean c mon...They could easily subsitute an ATI IGP for the damn "Intel R4g3 crap" graphics,.

OEM cases also dont need the crap plastic all over them, as though that makes them look "ergonomic" Thats the look they go for nowadays, every OEM computer needs to have the look of the jetsons.

If they wanna put plastic on a case they could at least secure the plastic properly and not use junk. Then they stick that stupid flimsy cd holder that no one ever uses on it. That thing is so weak to begin with. Just shoddy, i could fill a day pissing on OEMS.

Yes, stay away from those proprietary parts crap. To do this it sounds like local is the best way to go or TigerDirect as suggested. Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice, all. The problem with Dell/Gateway is that if you want to avoid integrated video the price goes WAY up (not to mention the proprietary crap). As for local shops, there are none here that are trustworthy IMHO. The only decent one died when Bestbuy arrived.

After speaking with him, he seems to like my setup. AMD Barton, NF7-S using the onboard sound, 120gb HD, 9700pro (though for him a 9600 would be sufficient). I'm hoping to find an online builder that can do this sort of system for a reasonable price. It seems like if you want quality name brand components you need to go with Alienware or Falcon anymore, and while those people do great work, it's too pricey for this guy.

So any other suggestions?

Many nforce2 motherboards come with integrated geforce2 video. Not the best but for older games or more casual games (like the sims or even quake 3 gen games) itll work like a charm. You can get a decent nforce 2 mobo for not a lot of money.

yes, visit 3dfx, he will make you an awesome PC, just try him, he is awesome, ive got quite a lot of experience to make a PC that is extremely fast and stable

Originally posted by Wixard
Many nforce2 motherboards come with integrated geforce2 video. Not the best but for older games or more casual games (like the sims or even quake 3 gen games) itll work like a charm. You can get a decent nforce 2 mobo for not a lot of money.

Yeah, but I'm pushing him away from inetrgated video because it limits his vid card upgrade path, which is likely the first thing he will need to upgrade (he has an 8 year old kid who is probably going to want to play some of the newer games). For now it would work, but soon it'll be "Daddy, Doom3 blows monkey nuts on this box!". ;)

without spending 100+ on a doom 3 capable vid card (although we'll have to see what it takes to run) There isnt really a way around it.

BTW nforce boards have integrated video and an agp slot for upgrading.

For OEM's try tigerdirect. A friend of mine ended up buying one from there and is pretty happy about the purchase.

Interesting bit of advice i learned last night: Since 98 dell has used a proprietary Power supply, physically similar to a regular atx but ass backwards. If the psu or motherboard dies, youll fry either hooking up a regular psu. Why this isnt more common or reported im not sure.

Sorry to threadjack, but do you know whether or not this is true for other OEM's such as IBM or Sony? I've got a friend who's going to try and switch out the mobo that came with his sony with one that has more features (such as an agp slot :rolleyes: ) and buy my case to use instead of the sony. I'd prefer him using the power supply that came with his Sony, but if he needs a psu as well, I'll be willing to sell him that as well. I really don't know what sony model it is, but will try and find out. I can tell you the specs though, it's a 6 month old computer with a P4 3.06, onboard everything just about, 512 megs of PC2100 ram.

www.ibuypower.com

my friend bought one from them and said it's the best computer he's ever had. you can get really REALLY good non-generic parts for not that much money. for about 1400$ you can almost get all top of the line parts. i understand they are fairly reputable.

without spending 100+ on a doom 3 capable vid card (although we'll have to see what it takes to run) There isnt really a way around it.

BTW nforce boards have integrated video and an agp slot for upgrading.

Really! I didn't know that. Thanks!

Originally posted by misfitsfiend
www.ibuypower.com

my friend bought one from them and said it's the best computer he's ever had. you can get really REALLY good non-generic parts for not that much money. for about 1400$ you can almost get all top of the line parts. i understand they are fairly reputable.

I forgot about them. Thanks, they may just fit the bill, I'll show him the page tomorrow.

do you know around what he is willing to budget for it? And does he need a monitor included?

You can also try http://www.motherboards.com ... They are not the cheapest 'per item' (compared to NewEgg), but their combos are decent. They have a few complete system combos under the 'Combos' listing, and will build the complete system from individual parts if there isn't one already configured to the way you want (may include a small fee).

Pretty good support, though only M-F 9-5 CST.

Isn't best buy starting to sell "there brand" computers built from off the shelf components?

Yes, they have been for two years now, They are called VPR Matrix.

I had one a year ago, it really was a great PC and used all quality parts unlike the other retail PC's out there.. I actually just emailed them asking them where they are now cause i dont see them selling them online or in the stores anymore

Back