Where to get a HD appraised?

pigpen

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
2,408
I need to get an appraisal (verification) of a non-working hard drive for a fraud claim.
This is what it says in the email:

"2) Appraisal of the Received Item

(Note: An appraisal is not required if the merchandise has already been
returned to the seller or if no merchandise was ever received)

The Appraisal must be based on an independent authenticator's physical
inspection. Please take the item and a copy of the item listing to a
store or neutral third party that specializes in the product and have
them determine the value and condition of the item. Have them write
their response on store letterhead. We will also need the name and
phone
number of the person who does the evaluation for verification purposes."


anybody know where i could get that?
 
local computer store or perhaps the best-buy geek squad or whatever they are...
 
jmanlp said:
local computer store or perhaps the best-buy geek squad or whatever they are...


Thanks man. Called best buy and they said they can do it :)
 
Do I count as an expert? :D

Naaw, better leave it to a big company. Unusual request, good luck. As an added bonus, I hope Geek Squad coughs up an inflated retail value for the drive that matches what they'd charge to haul a comparable drive out of the store, especially a rebate free price :)
 
DougLite said:
Do I count as an expert? :D

You know, i never thought about that. Anybody here work for / own a legit computer related business that would be willing to do this? It seems like all they want is official letterhead and a contact name. It's a western dig 74gb raptor. Give me the appraisal for free and you can keep the (dead) drive. Pretty sure it's the circuit board.


DougLite said:
Unusual request, good luck.

ebay :(
 
DougLite said:
WD says a new one is worth $199.99

the best thing for me is for somebody to appraise it as worthless. Which i'd imagine it pretty much is since it doesn't power on, has no warranty, and WD doesn't sell replacement circuit boards. That way ebay will reimburse me the full amount for what i paid for it, $117.
 
I'd pay $1 for a paperweight, which is about what a drive like what you describe is worth. Any halfway cogniscient technician will say the same thing.
 
DougLite said:
I'd pay $1 for a paperweight, which is about what a drive like what you describe is worth. Any halfway cogniscient technician will say the same thing.


:)

So any tech out there that would want to do this for me? You'll get a really cool paper weight. And if you ever come across a circuit board for it you'll get a free Raptor too.
 
I can do it for you Pigpen. I'm a registered sole proprietorship so I guess that'd be official enough for eBay. JTech Systems of Amarillo is the name. PM me if you're still interested.
 
It's Best Buy. The price is guaranteed to be inflated :)

Or you'll get a quote with a an MIR coupon :)

-Larry

DougLite said:
Do I count as an expert? :D

Naaw, better leave it to a big company. Unusual request, good luck. As an added bonus, I hope Geek Squad coughs up an inflated retail value for the drive that matches what they'd charge to haul a comparable drive out of the store, especially a rebate free price :)
 
Hmmm... I wonder if the letterhead "Mr. Evil, Inc..." will cause them concern :)

Especially if little flames come up off the page.

-Larry

Mr_Evil said:
I can do it for you Pigpen. I'm a registered sole proprietorship so I guess that'd be official enough for eBay. JTech Systems of Amarillo is the name. PM me if you're still interested.
 
Mr_Evil said:
I can do it for you Pigpen. I'm a registered sole proprietorship so I guess that'd be official enough for eBay. JTech Systems of Amarillo is the name. PM me if you're still interested.


very cool. Thankyou :) I emailed the guy handling the case just to make sure that's cool. Before i go through the trouble of shipping it and stuff.
 
Back
Top