Where to get a good punch down tool?

Sometwo

Limp Gawd
I'm probably going to need a punch down tool to rewire some ethernet outlets in my house. I'm searching Amazon and am surprised to see they cost more than crimpers!

Why do they cost so much, and can someone recommend one?

Also, can I reuse the jacks if they are wired wrong, or do I have to buy new ones?

Last edited:
Why does it cost so much? I need something cheaper. I'm not doing this professionally, just to get my home wired right.

+1 for haastility's recommendation & Monoprice. Great products and great customer service. I have that particular punch down tool and it works flawlessly.

Last edited:
I use Fluke's 914S tool, but it is not $20. I like the spudger for pulling individual conductors or pairs. It replaced my Ideal punch tool which was losing it's impact efficiency.
If you really want to save money, just use the little plastic tool that comes with Leviton QuickPort jacks.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Home Depot carries a Klein branded non-impact punchdown tool that also flips over to a multi-function screwdriver set, I think it was around $25.

Alright, I fixed one wire. According to the cable tester, the other one is wired wrong at the wall outlet. So how do I get the jack out of the outlet, and is there a way to reuse the jack or do I need to buy a new jack?

If it is quickport style, you need to unscrew the faceplate from the wall, then use a screwdriver to release one of the tabs from the back.
Smartest is to replace the jack, they are pretty-much one-time use, but I won't tell anyone if you use it again in a non-mission critical application.

Back