Where to buy operating systems?

wil129

n00b
Hi there has anyone heard of a company called all media wholesale? I am looking to buy a new operating system Win xp pro, they have it for 80.00 dollars, should I be cautious to buy from them? This is the cheapest place I found every where else is 130.00 +. Or should I just stick with newegg,or zipzoomfly?

wil129 said:
Hi there has anyone heard of a company called all media wholesale? I am looking to buy a new operating system Win xp pro, they have it for 80.00 dollars, should I be cautious to buy from them? This is the cheapest place I found every where else is 130.00 +. Or should I just stick with newegg,or zipzoomfly?

I wouldn't trust it, but do you have a direct link to the product page?

EDIT: I think I found them. http://www.allmediawholesale.com/show_detail.php?item_id=53 . That doesn't look like a legitimate OEM version with COA sticker and manual.

Indeed and if you scroll to the bottom, you will see :

"*Note: The words "Not For Resale" are imprinted on the CD however it can legally be used for commercial and educational use."

Xilikon said:
Indeed and if you scroll to the bottom, you will see :

"*Note: The words "Not For Resale" are imprinted on the CD however it can legally be used for commercial and educational use."

I saw that, but didn't know for sure what it was meaning. I just took it as meaning that if a system builder bought to put on a new system, they could. But it still doesn't look legitimate from the image, and the price is just too low. I mean hell Newegg and other only make a few bucks (if any) on OEM versions of MS's software, So there's no way these guys can sell it for about 30-40% cheaper, make money, and still be legit.

Not For Resale normally means MS gave it away as part of a promotion or something. According to the license, it shouldn't ever be sold, or even tranferred to a third party.

The software will install and activate just fine, which some people think makes it ok. Personally I'd rather get an oem copy off newegg (or a student version from my university) to be legit, rather than have karma come back to haunt me.

If you got this in your e-mail and you never heard of this company before, it is probably spam and the software would not be legal. Besides, egg and zzf are both very reputable companies and if you have any troubles, I know both are more than willing to help you out (but I personally recommend newegg just because of some bad experience with trying to return a defective item to zzf).

Those pink CD's are the ones that get shipped to people who purchase them through the MSNDAA program. They cost about 5 dollars to students of universities enrolled in the program. They cannot be legally sold in this manner.

you also get those CD's as part of the education pack at some colleges. you basically pay a flat rate of like $100 and you get xp pro, xp-64bit and usually a student version of office xp / 2003. I have that same exact CD in that case with the coa stuck right on it.

I bought my OEM version of Windows XP Pro from newegg.com. I would not only be very weary of sites that sell it for 80 dollars, like you originally posted, but I would probably avoid them all-together. You know the old saying, if its too good to be true, it probably is.

Jerome36 said:
I bought my OEM version of Windows XP Pro from newegg.com. I would not only be very weary of sites that sell it for 80 dollars, like you originally posted, but I would probably avoid them all-together. You know the old saying, if its too good to be true, it probably is.
Ok thanks everyone I will buy from newegg or zip thanks.

That's also how the OEM versions of the software come with the Action Pack subscriptions and no - not legal to sell it. Go choice to go with the Egg of ZFF...

ryan_975 said:
That also isn't legitimate. They cannot legally sell that because if does not come with the documentation.
Did you notice that they are a Microsoft partner? and as such they have to guarantee that any MS software sold is 100% legal to sell.

BIGDADDY51 said:
Did you notice that they are a Microsoft partner? and as such they have to guarantee that any MS software sold is 100% legal to sell.

then they should know better :)

My last copy of Home came from there, and installed and activated without a problem. As long as it passes the validation , who cares? If it doesn't, they would have to refund your money. We DIYs are really a grey area for MS :D MS has even activated used copies bought right here, without any problems,although it did take the phone call..A couple of the websites on www.pricewatch even have pages with links to court cases that MS has LOST over the sale of different kinds of software, and to wether thier EULA is even a legal document instead of a scare tactic. If I am building a PC to resell, then I do indeed buy oem, but for my own use well lets just say I have a LARGE amount of MB failures. In Vista ,they are now known as Catastrophic Failures :D :D

BIGDADDY51 said:
My last copy of Home came from there, and installed and activated without a problem. As long as it passes the validation , who cares? If it doesn't, they would have to refund your money. We DIYs are really a grey area for MS :D MS has even activated used copies bought right here, without any problems,although it did take the phone call..A couple of the websites on www.pricewatch even have pages with links to court cases that MS has LOST over the sale of different kinds of software, and to wether thier EULA is even a legal document instead of a scare tactic. If I am building a PC to resell, then I do indeed buy oem, but for my own use well lets just say I have a LARGE amount of MB failures. In Vista ,they are now known as Catastrophic Failures :D :D

Well, there's big difference what they can legally do, and they really do. Like you I could care less as long as it activates. I wonder if I could buy two copies of that. hmmm. Are they full retail or just upgrades I didn't see one way or antoher in the listing.

ryan_975 said:
Well, there's big difference what they can legally do, and they really do. Like you I could care less as long as it activates. I wonder if I could buy two copies of that. hmmm. Are they full retail or just upgrades I didn't see one way or antoher in the listing.
Click on the CDO after thr version in the ad .according to that its a full version.

BIGDADDY51 said:
Click on the CDO after thr version in the ad .according to that its a full version.

From the way the CDO description read it's an OEM versionl (being that OEM is basically a full version without any support, or ability to perform upgrade installations). Would it also be tied to the PC like OEM though?

I was expecting it to be one of those Russian scammers. Hell buy some hardware at Egg or, ZZF and, get it then.

^ yeah, you better hope the BSA don't drop by for an audit. I think there might even be a bounty if you feel like reporting him

Back