Where to buy just motherboard trays?

AreEss

2[H]4U
Does anyone know where I can find just motherboard trays? I don't mean necessarily a slide out one or for any specific brand.
I just need an EATX 12x13 motherboard tray from anything. If it's got the expansion slot and backplate retension, that's a nice bonus. I can't find any though. I did check the Lian Li Parts Heaven shop, but they don't have any EATX trays.

Thanks in advance.

Like this?
tray1.jpg

tray2.jpg

Not quite.
That's a 12x9 tray. I need a 12x13 EATX. Also, preferably one that is designed to slide in, or is/was riveted with L-brackets. But it has to be 12x13.

The one above is 14"wx101/2" I guess the end mount holes would hang over a bit with eatx.

If you cant find one get ahold of me. I know the guys that make these and I am sure I could get one made the way you want it.

Hey jman, tell us where the mobo tray you have pictured is sold. I can always use another source for those. :)

Argh. Totally wrong tray for my needs. They only offer standard ATX.
Ever tried to mount an EATX board to an ATX tray? It's like trying to mount an ATX to a MiniITX. You're gonna crack the PCB because large parts of it are hanging out there in midair.

Anyone else? EATX trays? Maybe from LianLis? One they popped out of a case they modded to death?

A little pricey, but try this...

MM EATX

They also sell black powder coat ones for 10$ more. They also have regular ones if you change your mind.

Dangit - CrimandEvil beat me to it!

Hey, another idea is to get yourself a piece of aluminum and drill & tap the holes in it for your standoffs, then screw brass standoffs in and mount your motherboard. I've done it a couple times, and if you're careful, it works out pretty good. The aluminum I used was ~1/8" sheet, but you could go as thick as you wanted, and probably as thin as 3/32" (you do need some thickness for the threads to grab, ya know?).

Standard brass standoffs are 6-32 machine screw thread, and you can pick up a tap at your local hardware store, or even a cheap set at Harbor Freight tools. :)

Oh yeah, and thanks for the link, jman! :D

Ugh. Harbor Freight. Retch.

That can't work because it's going on Lexan. It's only 1/4" lexan on top of it, so I have very limited depth on the attach points to begin with. The other ugly part is that it has to mount at the top of the case. Over six inches from the bottom. So optimally I need a limited number of L-brackets to securely attach it to the Lexan without the taps being too visible on the exterior. (I have plans for the backside of the tray, for the curious.) It also has to mount off the Lexan so there's enough of it between backplate and the thin, rabbited edges of the back panel.

However, I think the MM just might get the job done. If I hack myself some bearings in channeled Lexan, that would reduce the screw points and keep it off the right side panel. I'm just more than a little pissed off that they want more for it than some entire cases!

jman1 said:
Like this?
http://www.thepond.d2g.com/water/images/tray1.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.thepond.d2g.com/water/images/tray2.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

how sturdy is that tray? is it like a lian-li sturdy or like a $5 case sturdy?

thickness of the aluminum used?

thanks!

Back