Where to buy acrylic sheets?

JRW21

Gawd
I am looking for some acrylic sheets, would prefer local stores but would buy online if they cannot be sourced at a hardware/craft store.

Please let me know where you get yours. Looking for 12x18" btw. Thanks.

I will check out homedepot and ace tomorrow. If no go there I will check out the online links some of you provided.

Thanks for the info.

local hardware stores should have everything you need for plastics work. Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace etc... if you don't have other means of cutting it, pick up a cutting tool, what it does it allow you to score it and snap it along that score, it makes for perfect edges if done right. You can also pick up "cement" specially for acrylic or plycarbonate, which isn't really a glue but breaks down the plastics and allows them to bond with a more permanent bond.
remember that plexiglass is a brand name for acrylic sheet and lexan is a brand name for polycarbonate.
Because you asked for acrylic I'm guessing you already know most of this.

also if you can't find what you need locally check out mcmaster carr's website. They carry acrylic and polycarbonate in so many thicknesses and sizes as well as rods and blocks etc...
http://www.mcmaster.com/

picked up a nice piece of 18x24 at home depot for $6.97. It is a bit larger than I would prefer but, I will be experiementing tomorrow on the cleanest way to cut it.

Thanks again for all the help.

picked up a nice piece of 18x24 at home depot for $6.97. It is a bit larger than I would prefer but, I will be experiementing tomorrow on the cleanest way to cut it.

Thanks again for all the help.

I used a fine tooth metal blade on a jigsaw to cut mine and it worked great. I wouldn't recommend using a Dremel or other rotary tool... it tends to melt the plastic while cutting.

SIGN SHOPS DAMNIT

goto sign shops with CNC routers and say "cut this by eg 300mm x 900mm at 3mm thick"

if you want to be fancy you could get them to lightly etch a design into it so when you insert an LED through a drill hole at the bottom of the panel the design will light up.

For those who might look in this thread for advice, I ended up calling a local art store when looking for acrylic and they put me in contact with a good plastics supplier.

Get a quick quote over the phone but go see them in person to get the stuff with cash in hand. Be friendly and with any luck not only will you get good advice on how to work with it. They may even be able to find an off cut and sell you that cut to size for a nice discount. Especially if your paying in cash. They don't normally deal with small orders but beer money is beer money. Hell i even got the off cuts from my peices for free to experiment on.

I practiced the scoring method and the jigsaw with fine metal cutting blade. Both worked, however I would recommend the jigsaw. I may have not performed the scoring method 100% correctly, I scored fairly deep then attempted to break. It broke perfectly approx 3/4 of the way down the sheet then it sharded off slightly.

The jigsaw method was simple, fast, easy, and clean. You just need to "debur" some of the plastic, which is very quick just run your finger nail over the edge and it "peels" right off.

End product attached to my custom watercooling standalone: (short from completing: tubing and 1 more triple rad.)
100_1435.jpg

SIGN SHOPS DAMNIT

goto sign shops with CNC routers and say "cut this by eg 300mm x 900mm at 3mm thick"

if you want to be fancy you could get them to lightly etch a design into it so when you insert an LED through a drill hole at the bottom of the panel the design will light up.

I agree with the sign shop idea, maybe not have them cnc it because it takes time and might cost more than you want. They usually do have scrap stuff lying around they will part with for cheap, either they can sell it to you or throw it away. Next time your looking for specialty piece for your next mod, something either thicker or even tinted, check them out first.

Back