Where to buy a rack?

TeeJayHoward

Limpness Supreme
I can't figure out where to put this post, but multiprocessing systems are normally associated with server environments, which utilize racks, so I figure this is as close as I'm gonna get.

I'm looking for a rack. 19", between 12U-24U, and with a depth of at least 32". I've got a Supermicro 942i, a Dell 2450, some networking gear, and maybe another 942i soon. It's getting to be a decent hunk of hardware to be just sitting in the corner. As a poor college student, I can't afford to purchase a "new" rack. The Dell 2410 racks are about $900 shipped to me, APC, HP, and even offbrand racks are about the same. I'd love to find a place locally (I live in Pueblo, CO, but would drive to Colorado Springs or Denver for one) that sells them, but I've not had much luck searching. TechForLess.com is in Colorado Springs, but the only rack they have in stock is a 42U - I couldn't take it home in my Cherokee. To boot, it doesn't have the doors, although it DOES have the side panels.

Does anyone know of a place in Colorado that sells racks? Or a place online that sells them cheaply? If I can pick one up for under $400, I'd be a happy camper.

I'd keep my eyes on ebay. I see half racks on there all the time.

The networking forum might be a better choice, but thats just my opinion. Besides ebay you might also check CDW, although new they do cost a fair bit, and shipping is always costly since racks are so heavy.

ND40oz said:
I'd keep my eyes on ebay. I see half racks on there all the time.
Yup. I'm doing that, but shipping rapes ya.

AreEss, thanks for the links. I forgot to mention that I'm looking for one with a front and rear door, 0U PDU, and sides/top. And casters... Can't forget a way to wheel the f*cker around.

mikeblas said:
Did you try Craig's List for your area?
Just did. If I feel like driving a bit beyond Denver, there's a rack (minus sides) for $100. Problem is, it's a 42U. Couldn't fit it in my Jeep. Still, it's encouraging. I'll keep an eye out. Thanks.

ICE_9 said:
I have bought shelves for folding boxen and dealing with the company was great. Very highly recomended.

Two big thumbs up for Gruber. I like their stuff too. Was focusing on cheap above everything else, myself, there. Didn't know they'd come down that much in price either. I might have to make a call to them today. :D

He's looking for enclosed racks with PDU, from what it sounds like. A third for Gruber, though, if you decide the price is right ;)

Aye, what I'm looking for includes sides and doors.

Has anyone ever dealt with TechForLess.com before? They've got an APC Netshelter VS 42U with door for $300 or so after tax. And two Netshelter VX side panels for $25 or so. I'm thinking this may be a good deal, but they don't have a picture of the actual product, and it's listed as having "minor cosmetic blemishes"... I'm a little worried about that. Between that and a paintjob, I'd be out around $400 after picking it up and spraying it (I want a black one).

Its a bit of work but you could call around to some local developers who manage office buildings and see if they have any tennants moving out. Sometime tennants will leave older stuff behind and the developer usually will let you come get it for free. I got my rack and some old folding boxes this way, just had to sign a tax deduction form to make it a "donation" for them and they let me cart it off.

Back