Where to buy a 3.0GHz overclocked Q6600?

piratepress

[H]ard|Gawd
Wondering if any places online sell a Q6600 guaranteeded to hit 3GHz? I seem to recall several years ago azzo.com sold pre-tested and overclocked CPUs but they are restructuring after being out of business. I don't want to spend $300 and gamble on whether I can run it at 1333 fsb instead of the stock 1066. Any help would be appreciated!

if you are to buy a q6600...rather a B3 or G0 stepping, you will hit 3.0ghz easy. There's a 99.99% that it will do 3.0-3.2 most G0 should do 3.2- 3.6 I am talking air cooling here. Even a B3 should do 3.0 to 3.4....You have to be the world's unluckiest bastard to get a Q6600 and cant hit 3.0ghz

Thanks, I'm going to buy a G0 just to be on the safe side. Any particular mobo and memory combination that works best? I'm looking at an evga 680i and 2GB OCZ DDR2-800.

if you are to buy a q6600...rather a B3 or G0 stepping, you will hit 3.0ghz easy. There's a 99.99% that it will do 3.0-3.2 most G0 should do 3.2- 3.6 I am talking air cooling here. Even a B3 should do 3.0 to 3.4....You have to be the world's unluckiest bastard to get a Q6600 and cant hit 3.0ghz

^^ don't need a g0 if you're just looking to go to 3.0 ghz.. but if its the same price.. def. pickup the g0

Are you going to do SLI?? unless you are going dual gfx card, there's no reason to go nvidia chipset. Any P35 motherboard will go great with the Quad. I prefer Abit or Gigabyte's p35 mbs Any name brand memory Pc6400 and up will do.

How about the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L board? It's $100 at Newegg and got good reviews. I don't need the SLI or RAID.

It doesn't really matter what board if you're only going for 3ghz. That's 333fsb, and just about any board out there that supports quads should be able to do 333fsb.

Just bought a Q6600 from Newegg...happened to be a G0 stepping. Hit 3.0Ghz with ease.

An important item not to over look is some quality memory. It's hard to go wrong with 2GB of Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 for $160 US.

If you have an extra $25 then you might want to step up to some PC2-8500.

The 6400 memory can run at almost 500 MHz ( DDR2-1000 ) with CL4-4-4 timings on a good board with a little bit of luck and about 2.25 volts. At CL5 it will go higher yet. Both of the above modules use D9GMH ICs.

NCIX has even better deals for Canadian customers. These prices beat ordering directly from Crucial.

An important item not to over look is some quality memory. It's hard to go wrong with 2GB of Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 for $160 US.

The 6400 memory can run at almost 500 MHz ( DDR2-1000 ) with CL4-4-4 timings on a good board with a little bit of luck and about 2.25 volts. At CL5 it will go higher yet. Both of the above modules use D9GMH ICs.

NCIX has even better deals for Canadian customers. These prices beat ordering directly from Crucial.

If our friend here decides to drop multi. Otherwise, he won't need anything more expensive than generic DDR2-667 RAM (assuming he has a 1:1 divider)

Paypal me $150 and I'll buy a chip, OC it. If it hits 3Ghz Paypal me $200 more and I ship it to you. If it doesn't hit 3ghz you get your monies back. :cool: (hey, if you care that much...)

Th results are varied with all of them, most people have reached 3.2 ghz on air with their B3 Q6600. Steppings are basically different revisions of processors. The G0 is the best revision as it is an amazing overclocker, it runs cooler than the B3, and can also handle more heat than the B3 can. Its most common variant is in the power saving version of the Q6600, which uses less power. Because of this, it has more space for overclocking. It normally costs about £2 than the normal versions of the Q6600, which is great value if you ask me as that means that you will definitely get a G0 core. Unfortunately I don't know how muh more they cost in the US as I don't really review prices on them, but I would say that they would cost about $10 more than the norm.

if you want a Q6600 that sure to be a G0. Club it sells Q6600 that are G0's, there seperated from the B3's and have there own sells ID so your sure to get a G0.

And yes the DS3L is a great mobo. it doesnt have raid so unless you need raid you be fine with it. I Dont have any problems with the DS3l mobo either.

Worst link ever. You can get CL4 800MHz RAM (Ballistix, XMS2, whatever you want) for ~$70 after rebates at NewEgg. You can even get OCZ Reaper for <$100 if they still have the deal going.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

How can Identify a G0 when going to buy one, naturally I would like this one over the other options.

You can't. You have to buy it, and check the stepping in CPUZ.

But if its been made recently, its most probable that it is indeed a G0.

You can't. You have to buy it, and check the stepping in CPUZ.

But if its been made recently, its most probable that it is indeed a G0.

No, you are wrong. You can check for the steppings outside of the box.

Check the production code on the box, if it ends with SLACR it is G0 stepping, if it ends with SL9UM it is B3 stepping.

if it ends with SLACR it is G0 stepping, if it ends with SL9UM it is B3 stepping.

Well, that's assuming you already knew the coding. Otherwise, there's no way to tell.

Not that you have any choice from Newegg. (Would have digged around for a M0 if that were the case)

Yea clubit does have G0 q6600’s for sale @ $275. How reliable and “legit” is clubit.com? My new build is about $40 cheaper than newegg after shipping. Just want to know because I never ordered anything from them before. Was wondering if i should stick with newegg.

Quick note on the P35-DS3L: default RAM voltage is below the voltage that the RAM should be at. If you wanna OC, make sure to bump the voltage up a bit so it'll be able to handle the faster speeds.

I should have made the jump to a Quad :(

Yea clubit does have G0 q6600’s for sale @ $275. How reliable and “legit” is clubit.com? My new build is about $40 cheaper than newegg after shipping. Just want to know because I never ordered anything from them before. Was wondering if i should stick with newegg.

Reliable. Probably not quite as good about customer service as Newegg with RMAs and such. Otherwise comparable.

I just got my mobo and g0 from ClubIT and I highly recommend them. Great customer service too, they made sure I got my order on time to honor a warranty that was coming due.

Back