Where Sony Went Wrong

HardOCP News

[H] News
CNN Money says that a number of lessons can be learned from where Sony went wrong. Declaring anyone a loser at this point is still pretty premature but the editorial does make some valid points as well.

For Nintendo, the number 3 company in the videogames business, it's a David-vs.-Goliath turnaround. For Kutaragi's team, who ruled the roost of this industry for 12 years, it's a shameful final defeat.

I have personally reviewed all three of the next-gen consoles (PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii) and I think the current standing on the sales charts is due in large part to price. The lowest price console is leading the pack and the highest price console is in third place.

Look at the PS2 still selling like crazy...why? Not because it's better than anything out now...but because it is half the price of a Wii.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

Sony did not respect it's customers.

First, it was the RootKit shenanigans.

Then there was the DVD's with non-standard Copy Protection that wouldn't play on a great many players.

If Sony had not of treated customers so poorly, the PS3 just might have been better received.

I, for one, don't trust them any more.

i kind of agree. Its hard to force someone to buy a GTX class card (price wise ) every time a new console comes out. granted, there are few years inbetween but i think the fan base expects something in the 200-300 range.

The war will not be won until years 2-3 I believe. Think about it. 100m ps2 owners. PS2 still selling damn good. Most people haven't even bought their next gen console yet. Wii is almost a guaranteed success. I think this gen it'll be Wii + 360, or Wii + PS3. You can almost segregate the market.

I think that article has the wrong price for the Wii. It states $150. I got mine at launch so its been awhile, but I'm pretty sure they were more like $250 or something like that.

Or are they only $150?

The war will not be won until years 2-3 I believe. Think about it. 100m ps2 owners. PS2 still selling damn good. Most people haven't even bought their next gen console yet. Wii is almost a guaranteed success. I think this gen it'll be Wii + 360, or Wii + PS3. You can almost segregate the market.

I agree with you and Steve in that this is way to early to make any calls. Let's get a year or two of readily available units on the shelves before we pass a judgement.

I also agree with Steve on the pricepoint as well, it was much easier for me to spend 250.00 on a new console even with a 399.99 option as well.

We all know I'm a huge Nintendo fan, and I'm very happy with my purchase.

Market segregation is definately something I see as well, but I'm leaning towards the 360/Wii combo at this time.

I think that if Sony sales continue, the exclusive list will shrink further giving gamers more choice in their console shopping.

I have personally reviewed all three of the next-gen consoles (PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii) and I think the current standing on the sales charts is due in large part to price. The lowest price console is leading the pack and the highest price console is in third place.

Look at the PS2 still selling like crazy...why? Not because it's better than anything out now...but because it is half the price of a Wii.

QFT;)

Most people can not economically afford a 300 dollar console much less a 600 dollar console.... this is the reason why most of them ends up buying the cheapest consoles.

If I had access and direction to their product development, I would make incredible changes that would revolutionize the way they sell consoles, they would make Wii look unwanted.

Changes I would make:

PS2:
Introduce Blue-Ray
Introduce wireless controllers
Introduce WiFi
Introduce BlueTooth
Market it towards the Wii audience (economics wise)
Market the console as a PS3 alternative.
Keep current pricing (take a hit on the blue-ray drive)

PS3:
Replace BluRay to BluRay & HD-DVD Combo (Kill the format war in one step, people with HD and BR will want this)
Reduce price to $499 (to directly compete with the Xbox360)
Open design for developers for more games and dump licensing to open up the platform more

I would market the PS2 and PS3 side by side instead of being a predecessor. Heck, I would even bring the PS1 back with DVD capability and black color... at a ridiculously low price (ex $49) for foreign markets and younger kids.

Instead of discontinuing, I would improve them and run them side by side. Kinda like what Hummer does, they had the H1, but continue to use the same naming conventions for their future generations but geared towards a different competitor and market instead of replacing them.

Most people can not economically afford a 300 dollar console much less a 600 dollar console.... this is the reason why most of them ends up buying the cheapest consoles.

If I had access and direction to their product development, I would make incredible changes that would revolutionize the way they sell consoles, they would make Wii look unwanted.

Changes I would make:

PS2:
Introduce Blue-Ray
Introduce WiFi
Introduce BlueTooth

PS3:
Replace BluRay to BluRay & HD-DVD Combo (Kill the format war in one step, people with HD and BR will want this)
Open design for developers for more games and dump licensing to open up the platform more

I would market the PS2 and PS3 side by side instead of being a predecessor. Heck, I would even bring the PS1 back with DVD capability and black color... at a ridiculously low price (ex $49) for foreign markets and younger kids.

Instead of discontinuing, I would improve them and run them side by side. Kinda like what Hummer does, they had the H1, but continue to use the same naming conventions for their future generations but geared towards a different competitor and market instead of replacing them.

So basically a PS2 refresh at a much higher price tag just to incorporate Blueray? Lets just release VCRs that upscale to 720P while were at it. How many bluetooth devices are there that are useful for the PS2? Its not like there are a whole lot of games that use keyboards...

SDTV sets still dominate the market, and how much better does blueray and hd-dvd look on a 27" or even 32" SDTV? No enough to justify $500+ on a player and $30-40 per movie when you can get DVD players for $30 and DVDs for under $20. Could you imagine the HD equivilant of CSI season 1 or any other boxed set MSRP? With DVD box sets being $40-200 for a complete season and HD equivilant media being priced 2-3 times higher its just obsurd.

Lets just release VCRs that upscale to 720P while were at it.

Sony screwed up. This has been coming for a long while, and I for one am glad to see other companys stepping upto the plate and offering quality alternatives, some of which are much better.

I keep remembering the famous video of Steve Ballmer (at least I think that was the Microsoft guy) shouting over and over...

Developers...Developers...Developers...Developers...Developers...

Only I would change that over to PRICE...PRICE...PRICE...PRICE. This past holiday season I bought both a Wii and a 360 for roughly the same price it would have coost me to get a single PS3. Up until this whole console thing came up, I was pretty uninfromed about things like HDMI and Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD.

Now as time is going by, I want to upgrade my TV to a 1080p set (instead of the rear projection 1080i one I have now) with an HDMI interface. Chances are, I will just snag a 360 Elite since I already have dozens of games for the 360.

The Wii that I have sits in the corner and is collecting dust. The kids play it..but 90% of the time, I'll head to the 360 because I've finally gotten used to using its controller and I find the Wiimote and Nun-chuck to be woefully inaccurate. The kids on the other hand love it...and thats great. I will continue to get them games for it for as long as they show interest. However, I don't see many adults saying...Hey lets play on the Wii!

Releasing a refreshed PS2 would be an excellent idea. There is still a huge market for the console, I bought one recently on ebay for somebody. I doubt it will end up like the Game Boy Micro, as the PS2 has games that are streets ahead of anything on the PS3, forgetting about graphics.

However it should all change when GTA4 comes out, that is when I'll buy a PS3. The 360 has six months to impress me, a big Sony fan.

I was reluctant to buy a next gen console, due to price, but one day I saw the Wii in stock and it was a quick decision to buy it. And you don't even need to spend extra money on games, as Wii sports is the best.

Sony did good keeping the price of games €25 below the 360, at least in the Irish market anyway.

Slimline PS2 with 8" monitor, about the size of a DVD case, as a console that package is hard to beat.

It may be too soon to tell, but installed market base is what software developers care about. Also PS2 being the cheapest, also has the largest software base (not necessarily all gems but someone is buying all those Barbie games).

The article got most of it right, Sony had a Corporate mindset, not just SCEA. Hence the CELL processor and BluRay. Great tech, but it made the console too costly in hopes of showing off their new tech they want to dominate the world with, instead of making a better game console that the masses can afford.

Then all the marketing blunders, sheesh if they kept their mouth shut and showed actual gameplay, they might not have pissed off alot of the early adopters.

Also agree with the lack of controller innovation, I may be one of the few, but I hate the PS2 controller. But this is minor.

Sony has a huge battle ahead, they have to make up market share fast, or it will be too late for them. The war isn't over, but you can only afford to lose so many battles for so long before it won't matter.

The CNN Money piece was ok, but I think it misses a few points.
For all that innovation in the PS3, one thing didn't change: the controller, that handheld mess of buttons so confusing to non-gamers. Sure, Kuturagi made it work wirelessly, which has no doubt saved the world from a few broken ankles and smashed glasses, but the controller itself looks identical to the one found on the PS2.
Not that I want to defend Sony, but as I remember Sony did show off a new controller at E3 (the boomerang) and everyone hated it. They switched back to the standard controller because of the outcry as far as I know.

Nintendo took a different tack. When you buy a videogame console, the company says, you want to play games. Period. A console is not a Swiss Army knife. It makes sense to squeeze more functionality into your cell phone because you carry that device around everywhere. When it comes to the interactive fun box in your living room, however, it makes sense to simply make that more fun. If you want a DVD player, you'll buy a DVD player.
Oh, so that is why the next Wii will have a DVD drive. And, doesn’t the Wii support other functions besides games like web browsing, and such?

Fifteen plus years ago I was a Sony *!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*! and would only buy Sony products. I loved their products and hated all others. However, I have since made a complete 180 and will not touch a Sony product with a 10 foot pole. They burned me way too many times and I have since found far superior products in the marketplace. Sony’s products have always commanded a premium, but that just doesn’t work anymore. The PS3 is overpriced, plain and simple. Nintendo, on the other hand, recognized that the market is price driven and marketed the Wii as such. The continued selling of the PS2 is perfect example of this.

Now, as for me I really don’t care of the Wii. It’s just not my sort of thing. The 360 is more my style. But, then again, I probably not the target audience that Nintendo was shooting for.

Final Defeat? Perhaps for Kutaragi as he has stepped down, but I don't see it for SCEI as a whole.

I think the entire article is only PARTLY right. The article fails to see the whole picture. This article assumes only the GAMING side of the console war is important but Sony has much higher goals in mind.

Sony isn't JUST gaming. They are a movie studio, record company, drive maker, blank media, computer, laptops, etc.. etc.. all rolled into one.

What Sony did with the PS3 is pure genious. I mean.. how ELSE are you going to virtually guarantee that your new Blu-Ray format will win the war, or at the very least put up a MAJOR fight, then by putting millions of drives into people's homes. So what if Sony loses money on the PS3 and "loses" on the console side? They stand to make A BAJILLION back from all their other products tied in with Blu-Ray.

Interesting that you say that, it's as if 360 *!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*! and PS3 *!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*! don't care if they also own Wii.

I think the entire article is only PARTLY right. The article fails to see the whole picture. This article assumes only the GAMING side of the console war is important but Sony has much higher goals in mind.

Sony isn't JUST gaming. They are a movie studio, record company, drive maker, blank media, computer, laptops, etc.. etc.. all rolled into one.

What Sony did with the PS3 is pure genious. I mean.. how ELSE are you going to virtually guarantee that your new Blu-Ray format will win the war, or at the very least put up a MAJOR fight, then by putting millions of drives into people's homes. So what if Sony loses money on the PS3 and "loses" on the console side? They stand to make A BAJILLION back from all their other products tied in with Blu-Ray.

What you said might have been right if the PS3 was at a more affordable level. I just read walmart is going to be releasing a $299.00 HD-DVD drive. This will effectivly kill off Sonys Blue-ray drive in one knock out punch. Walmart has way more influence then Sony ever will.

Blue-ray is going to die like the beta did back in the day. The only thing the PS3 has done for Blue-ray is make it last a few more years tops. As soon as Walmart starts pushing out cheap HD-DVD drives blue-ray is finished. WHat makes more sense...PS3 with blue-ray for $600 CAD or a HD-DVD drive for $300 CAD?

Now as time is going by, I want to upgrade my TV to a 1080p set (instead of the rear projection 1080i one I have now) with an HDMI interface. Chances are, I will just snag a 360 Elite since I already have dozens of games for the 360.

You might want to study a little bit more on 1080i and 1080p before investing that much money. If your rear projection takes 1080i and outputs 1080p -- then you might not be gaining much. Main differents between 1080i and 1080p is the refresh rate from 30hz to 60hz, and that it's not progressive. I have a DLP that only take 1080i, but always outputs 1080p through de-interlacing.

I think sony's strategy is off -- They don't think too much about consumers. Their arrogant attitude, that we'll buy it just because it's Sony's product. We'll work harder to buy Sony's product.

I'm not saying they don't have good products -- Majority of their products are good. But they think that there's no substitude and you'll be buying it even another product has superior quality or features.

This is why I don't even look at Sony's computer products -- They sometimes have the crappiest hardware and they're selling it to consumers just as much as other brand's top model. An SiS or ALi motherboard chipset is not equivalent to an Intel in price.

So basically a PS2 refresh at a much higher price tag just to incorporate Blueray? Lets just release VCRs that upscale to 720P while were at it. How many bluetooth devices are there that are useful for the PS2? Its not like there are a whole lot of games that use keyboards...

SDTV sets still dominate the market, and how much better does blueray and hd-dvd look on a 27" or even 32" SDTV? No enough to justify $500+ on a player and $30-40 per movie when you can get DVD players for $30 and DVDs for under $20. Could you imagine the HD equivilant of CSI season 1 or any other boxed set MSRP? With DVD box sets being $40-200 for a complete season and HD equivilant media being priced 2-3 times higher its just obsurd.

Lets just release VCRs that upscale to 720P while were at it.

Sony screwed up. This has been coming for a long while, and I for one am glad to see other companys stepping upto the plate and offering quality alternatives, some of which are much better.

Whats with all the influx of noobies here? Dude, chill out... damn, thats what I would do... it's called an opinion. No need to bash anything here.

And an upconverting VCR would be cool.

Your slant agianst sony is pretty clear here. Oh and bluetooth isn't all about keyboards, perhaps you want to wonder how remotes connect to the consoles? headsets? remotes? you name it....Guitar hero without cords... imagine that.

What you said might have been right if the PS3 was at a more affordable level. I just read walmart is going to be releasing a $299.00 HD-DVD drive. This will effectivly kill off Sonys Blue-ray drive in one knock out punch. Walmart has way more influence then Sony ever will.

Blue-ray is going to die like the beta did back in the day. The only thing the PS3 has done for Blue-ray is make it last a few more years tops. As soon as Walmart starts pushing out cheap HD-DVD drives blue-ray is finished. WHat makes more sense...PS3 with blue-ray for $600 CAD or a HD-DVD drive for $300 CAD?

i disagree. The whole Walmart deal has already been denied by the drive manufacturers. see:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/26/fuh-yuan-retracts-299-wal-mart-hd-dvd-statement/

But EVEN IF Walmart DID come out with a $299 player, it would still be a hard fight for HD-DVD as blu-ray is still content king. there are way more BR movies and way more studio support then hd-dvd. Content drives sales. cheap players may be nice.. but if you have nothing to play on it.. then what's the point?

i disagree. The whole Walmart deal has already been denied by the drive manufacturers. see:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/26/fuh-yuan-retracts-299-wal-mart-hd-dvd-statement/

But EVEN IF Walmart DID come out with a $299 player, it would still be a hard fight for HD-DVD as blu-ray is still content king. there are way more BR movies and way more studio support then hd-dvd. Content drives sales. cheap players may be nice.. but if you have nothing to play on it.. then what's the point?

Well, it's still kind of in the middle anyway. It's not really swinging either way, but I think there's more supporters of HD-DVD on the PC enthusious side (Major supporter Microsoft, HP, and PORN industry). Blu-Ray is more for movie/HT buffs. Again, It's just what I think and what i've been reading.

Well, it's still kind of in the middle anyway. It's not really swinging either way, but I think there's more supporters of HD-DVD on the PC enthusious side (Major supporter Microsoft, HP, and PORN industry). Blu-Ray is more for movie/HT buffs. Again, It's just what I think and what i've been reading.

again.. i have to disagree.

1. There are already WAY more blank media and PC drives in the Blu-Ray camp.
2. Microsoft does not make drives. HP swings both ways. They already showed a desktop PC with a blu-Ray drive: http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2006/01/hp_bluray_media.html
3. Porn does not dictate winner. Seriously.. when was the last time you bought porn on a disc? or even bought porn period? There are way too many outlets to get porn nowadays that it's not even a deciding factor anymore. And besides, it's not like porn can't be on Blu-Ray. It's just Sony doesn't like using their own press factories to release porn titles. The porn companies are free to go to any other replicator to do produce their blu-ray porn if they want.
4. Blu-Ray is both PC AND movies/HT/gaming. The fact that the discs store more capacity, as well as more drive manafacturer support = clear winner on PC side.

Interesting that you say that, it's as if 360 *!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*! and PS3 *!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*! don't care if they also own Wii.

actually thats basically it, its almost as if its expected for most gamers to have a Wii + another console, i was reading articles with xbox devs and xbox live guys and they all have Wii. Its approaching gaming from a different direction, and at the pricepoint nearly everyone seems to get themselves a Wii and another system.

as for the ps3...meh i don't get why people bash it. Best doorstop i've ever seen

Whats with all the influx of noobies here? Dude, chill out... damn, thats what I would do... it's called an opinion. No need to bash anything here.

And an upconverting VCR would be cool.

Your slant agianst sony is pretty clear here. Oh and bluetooth isn't all about keyboards, perhaps you want to wonder how remotes connect to the consoles? headsets? remotes? you name it....Guitar hero without cords... imagine that.

I was stating my opinion. Not bashing. I loved my PS1 and love my PS2, but Sony has become very arrogant and its catching up to them. Maybe this reality check will push them to be innovative, and not just high tech.

And in my opinion, I dont see a use for a Blue ray and bluetooth integration into the PS2 unless it remained $200>. Even then, Id rather put that money towards a PS3, 360 or a Wii since I already own a PS2.

Till then Ill wait till the PS3 is around $200 or EOL so that I can finally play FF13+ and GT5.

Changes I would make:

PS2:
Introduce Blue-Ray
Introduce WiFi
Introduce BlueTooth
Unless they somehow put a dedicated processor in the blue-ray drive, I don't see how a pre-existing PS2 could possibly play Blueray?
Sure the video subsystem and processor of a 5+ year old gaming console can't compete with HDCP decoding requirements. Would not a "coprocessed" BD player for a PS2 be cost prohibitive? You also have to realize the PS2 doesn't support HD resolutions, so you'd be down sampling.

PS3:
The only line of that that could ever happen is the 2nd one. Sony will not support a competing product, and that still wouldn't "end the war" anyhow.

Now this is just silly..

“Content drives sales [of players].” True, but the inverse is also true; players drive sales of content. If it wasn’t true then Sony wouldn’t have bothered to put a Blu-ray drive in the PS3. If a cheap HD DVD player does come out, and sells, then you will suddenly see more content show up on HD DVD. The studios doesn’t really care what format their content is own as long as they make money. And they are not going to pass up a bunch of sales just to favor one format over another (unless they have other interest involved). And if you don’t think a cheap device can move the market, remember the Wii.

“Content drives sales [of players].” True, but the inverse is also true; players drive sales of content. If it wasn’t true then Sony wouldn’t have bothered to put a Blu-ray drive in the PS3. If a cheap HD DVD player does come out, and sells, then you will suddenly see more content show up on HD DVD. The studios doesn’t really care what format their content is own as long as they make money. And they are not going to pass up a bunch of sales just to favor one format over another (unless they have other interest involved). And if you don’t think a cheap device can move the market, remember the Wii.

I'll add the this that devs are scambling to convert their games to the Wii. It's a perfect example of of player sales causeing a lot mroe content to become available. Expect a lot of ports for the Wii by the end of the year and a host of Wii centric title by the end of 08.

It's also that PS2 has a huge library of games that are really good. Price alone isn't enough to win a console race, if it were, the Gamecube would have throttled last generation with an iron grip :)

True but I think it's more a factor than a sole reason.

Sony and N are on a pretty level playing field ATM, fresh launch not a huge library.

Maybe price comes into play there. I know for me I bought a Wii because I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but the pricetag also made it a lot easier to swallow.

True but I think it's more a factor than a sole reason.

Sony and N are on a pretty level playing field ATM, fresh launch not a huge library.

Maybe price comes into play there. I know for me I bought a Wii because I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but the pricetag also made it a lot easier to swallow.

I'd buy a Wii if I could actually find one. Every store around ME is STILL out of stock (believe me, I'm @ target, wallyworld, or bestbuy at least once a week.
(I don't buy consoles online, too much of a hassle to return if defective)

The attraction to Wii for me is what I like to call "FunFitGaming" - Active games. Could care less about games where you sit in a chair and shoot virtual aliens. That's what the PC is for.

I agree with you as well. I really enjoy the playing the unit, period. I've got three titles, with two more I'd like to buy already. For me that's a great selection right out of the gate. I'm just not seeing that from Sony. I fall into the 'I just play the games' slice of the pie, so for me that's what it's all about, I don't give a shit about BluRay personally.

I just see Sony in a horrible horrible position right now, and that isn't to say that I won't be eating those words a year from now.

Keep calling though bro. BB ran a Sunday launch last week, when I got mine, so write that down, they'll have one around the same time next month.

Blu-ray lost the first moment we ripped and uploaded the first HDDVD. ;)

bah! buy it all, then and only then will waste of text articles such as this one will cease, but typical of today. let the ps3 mature, who gives two shits about how its doing now vs somewhat similiar products. as with all hardware, the most vocal are those who can't afford all the toys so they gotta spout off online feeling better about their purchases. its subjective. as someone said the ps2 still sells with pretty impressive numbers and most only play a few titles regardless of console. sony is one of the major manufacturers. although I recognize this as a forum, and "bobby opinion" has his say, get a clue :confused:

I now pwn both high def players, so I win, not them! keep it up both camps, pump that shit out! to all those other sony gripe's?, I feel for ya :p

What is the "killer app" on the PS3? The answer is that they don't have one. If I had $600 to blow I still wouldn't buy a PS3 just because there are no "must have" titles for it yet imho. Wii had Zelda at launch, and now Paper Mario. Xbox 360 had a console port of Oblivion, the biggest PC title of the year, and since then huge games like Gears of War.

Still, developer support for Wii is not a given; Nintendo better start working harder at it than they have been. We should see A-list titles from 3rd-parties by the end of this year or I think the Wii will just be a repeat of the GC's library and then we'll be left with only the 360 as a viable option which isn't good for the industry. I think Nintendo runs a risk of having another Gamecube on their hands though unless they can attract some high volume third-part developers other than Ubisoft who just throws together ports. (I mean, 3rd-party developers who do more than just 1 game every 2 years. :rolleyes: )

The PS2 is still selling like hotcakes not just because it's cheap, but because the games are there. FFXII, God of War 2, and other great games have come out very recently for PS2 so it's still going. Where are the games? Right now, older games for PS2 and GC are cheap. After I beat Zelda on my Wii I probably won't play it much for the rest of the year and might even Ebay it. I believe in the Wii's model, but I don't have faith in the big N's ability to draw support from developers...

not only is there no fully good reason yet to buy a Wii but neither is there a PS3, citing sales seems rather abritrary at this point since it doesnt really mean one console is more worth buying or even winning, it just means for the impulse first timers Nintendo cut out a good strategy with its price, but that doesnt mean a whole lot once people start buying either system specifically for games, the true reason of getting either of these things.

first the article faults sony for not targeting gamers enough with its swiss army console, and then it praises nintendo for not targeting gamers by having a less "confusing" controller interface than the rather up front (and lets face it, despite the articles complaints, is familiarity due to its predecessors popularity) PS3 design retaining it's usual look (and thankfully not the horrid boomerang). I'm just not sure the article is giving a very balanced opinion and outlook on the matter, as neither system has done more than fail or suceed in initial hype, but in terms of worthy substance they still need to work to retain or gain a lead, and the article replaces that with a declaration of victory and defeat.

I dunno, i just think, as hardocp said, to try and talk about how "history" will look on this and see it as some david and goliath battle before the one thing the article claims to notice will even happen, and that's the GAMES.

Back