Where Netflix Sees Potential And Risks

HardOCP News

[H] News
As odd as it may seem, listening to Reed Hastings explain how his company greenlights a show in terms of joy, made absolute perfect sense in a joy-joy kind of way.

MR. BERMAN: Take us through the economics of greenlighting a show.

MR. HASTINGS: We’ll collect this year about $8 billion of customers’ money. We say that money’s in trust to create joy. We have to turn that into the most joy possible. We look and we say, for every show, if a show cost $100 million, how much joy, how much viewing did it create? If it costs $50 million or $200 million, of course you want different amounts of joy. So we look at it as how much joy can we create of your money. And if we turn it into joy effectively, then you’re happy and you tell your friends and we grow.

I love their show Marco Polo. I don't know how much "joy" it gives me however.

Are we on the "Demolition Man" alternate universe timeline because Mr. Hastings train of thought is right out of that movie.

So in other words TV shows are expensive to make, but if they can make good ones they increase their subscriber base. Though his "joy" explanation is more fun.

Price increase will be incoming.... for shows that I don't even watch. Hmm, that sounds familiar. Joy.

Just ended my Netflix subscription yesterday, after they wanted me to agree to the price increased to $10. I would be fine with the old $7.99 for one client, but they do not allow to watch HD with it.

All company's greed usually ends up their demise in the real world. The problem is, it takes time to go through all the people and piss them all off. Netflix will be profitable for some time until they get through the customer base.

One persons joy is another persons disappointment.

Beside, money can't buy happiness, but at least with money you can be unhappy in style.

Just ended my Netflix subscription yesterday, after they wanted me to agree to the price increased to $10. I would be fine with the old $7.99 for one client, but they do not allow to watch HD with it.

What comparable, and legal, service did you replace it with that is far cheaper then $10?

Back