Where is the new Apple Cinema HD Displays?!?!

Hello everyone,

I have an Apple Cinema HD 30" display... I really like it out.. gets alot of work done in a short amount of time due to the screen real estate, and compared to some DELL 30" monitors the uniformity of the screen cant be beat, no dead pixels whatsoever and sometimes this screen gets too bright!

my only gripe is when will Apple step up to the plate and produce new Apple HD screens with the new LG panel? comparable to DELL's 3007-HC (High Color) with the 92% gamut, and faster response time?!

Does anyone have any news on this?!?! thanks.

I say when apple release DDR3 Mac Pro's is when they will change the monitors. So late summer? When Leopard release? Who know's...

I say when apple release DDR3 Mac Pro's is when they will change the monitors. So late summer? When Leopard release? Who know's...

Mac Pros haven't and won't ever use DDR(#) memory. What the hell are you talking about?

Mac Pros haven't and won't ever use DDR(#) memory. What the hell are you talking about?

They use FB-DIMM DDR2 right now; it's not like FB-DIMM DDR3 won't exist, with a new chipset and processor set to match; which Apple will likely upgrade the Mac Pro's too...

What are YOU talking about?

They use FB-DIMM DDR2 right now; it's not like FB-DIMM DDR3 won't exist, with a new chipset and processor set to match; which Apple will likely upgrade the Mac Pro's too...

What are YOU talking about?

My apologies, I meant they use buffered, registered memory. And with that, I've just now checked again and I see no documentation supporting FBDIMM DDR3 release dates.

Furthermore, Apple is often very far behind the curve (although their octo-core was a step in the right direction). I don't expect Santa Rosa in notebook based products or DDR3 in the Intel lineup until far after it is released, especially in the Mac Pro.

My apologies, I meant they use buffered, registered memory. And with that, I've just now checked again and I see no documentation supporting FBDIMM DDR3 release dates.

Furthermore, Apple is often very far behind the curve (although their octo-core was a step in the right direction). I don't expect Santa Rosa in notebook based products or DDR3 in the Intel lineup until far after it is released, especially in the Mac Pro.

http://www.idt.com/content/OSA_S008_FB-DIMM-Arch.pdf

Intel Doc stating that DDR3 data rates are fully supported by FB-DIMM. So the only difference is the chips on the stick and the divider in the slot.

Apple just upped the MB's processors, what makes you think they won't move to the new chipset/memory standard?

I really have no idea why Apple's display technology is so far behind though when it comes to the stand-alone models. The iMac's aren't bad and neither are the MB/MBP; but the Cinema Displays are like... What? They're also extremely over-priced.

So, I hope they shape up in that department.

The processor on FB-Dimm can interface with DDR3 IC's already I think, makers can just switch the IC's and most likely the DDR3 FB-Dimms would work even on current Macs because the comunication between the ram and the bus is done by the CPU on the sticks.

Forget just having a better LCD panel. I think Apple will only update its displays when it can implement LED backlighting on at least the 30-inch model (if not the smaller screens, too). Why settle for 92% gamut when you can go over 100% and possibly slim down your display in the process?

Samsung already has LED-lit desktop displays, so there's nothing really stopping Apple except cost and producing the upgrades.

doubtful. i mean why sell new tech at good prices when you can sell old tech at high prices. the peons buy it anyway because its "mac"

It's almost like you think it's wrong that Apple should be allowed to make a profit :rolleyes:

It's almost like you think it's wrong that Apple should be allowed to make a profit :rolleyes:

Is it also right that Apple charges a premium for dated panel? Trust me, they make a killing off their hardware already.

Is it also right that Apple charges a premium for dated panel? Trust me, they make a killing off their hardware already.

Yes. Is there something wrong with that? If you don't like it, buy it elsewhere. But trolling in a thread isn't going to make Steve Jobs think "oh man, we should totally update the displays, because it's obvious this guy would buy one... oh wait, he's a just a troll :("

Yes. Is there something wrong with that? If you don't like it, buy it elsewhere. But trolling in a thread isn't going to make Steve Jobs think "oh man, we should totally update the displays, because it's obvious this guy would buy one... oh wait, he's a just a troll :("

The guy's complaint is legit. Enough said. Yes there is something wrong in that you are defending Apple to be behind the curve. Defend Apple all you like, still doesn't change the fact that their LCD lineup is inferior to almost every major panel manufacturer out there in terms of warranty & price.

We might as well rip out the C2D processor in your macbook and replace it with a celeron since you only care about the styling. Complaints about Apple are legit dude, we complain so that better products are eventually made. Regardless of your opinion, he has a point trolling or not. All he's pointing out is that people are more readily to settle for dated technology when it's in a pretty shiny enclosure.

Like it or not he has a point. I like Apple too, but don't be so blinded by marketing.

It's not a question of marketing or style - it's a question of economics. There are people out there (many of them it seems) who are more than willing to pay that much for Apple's displays (for whatever reason - styling, Apple brand, whatever). Apple of course is more than happy to supply these people with those displays at that price. They'd be pretty bad businesspeople if they didn't.

And the nice thing about economics is that there is generally something for everyone - if you don't want to pay that much for an Apple display, Dell is more than willing to sell you one that's just as good or better for less money.

You can't fault Apple for having a good business strategy. Sure you might want them to sell you their displays cheaper, but nowhere does it say that they have to.

I don't fault apple for charging a tax on their products. I fault fanboys for embracing the bose of the industry, where hardcore fanboys are astounded by incremental upgrades saying apple upgrades are revolutionary.

Apple hardware is not cutting edge no matter who claims it to be. It's all smoke and mirrors with statistics to decieve you to believe you're buying something incredible.

People didn't realize that the powerbook G4's they bought a couple years ago were slow as hell compared to their PC counterparts at that time, but as soon as Apple transitioned over to Intel, people were like "OMG!".

I'm glad PPC is dead to say the least since now that Apple runs the same hardware as other manufacturers, they will be forced to upgrade their product lines quicker which makes price reductions more immediate with the consumer.

Expect quality to slide a little for the change in prices. I've experienced it, I bought a brand new black macbook with a dead airport card. It's funny how Applecare tried to blame me for it being Dead On Arrival.

I don't fault apple for charging a tax on their products. I fault fanboys for embracing the bose of the industry, where hardcore fanboys are astounded by incremental upgrades saying apple upgrades are revolutionary.

Apple hardware is not cutting edge no matter who claims it to be. It's all smoke and mirrors with statistics to decieve you to believe you're buying something incredible.

People didn't realize that the powerbook G4's they bought a couple years ago were slow as hell compared to their PC counterparts at that time, but as soon as Apple transitioned over to Intel, people were like "OMG!".

I'm glad PPC is dead to say the least since now that Apple runs the same hardware as other manufacturers, they will be forced to upgrade their product lines quicker which makes price reductions more immediate with the consumer.

Expect quality to slide a little for the change in prices. I've experienced it, I bought a brand new black macbook with a dead airport card. It's funny how Applecare tried to blame me for it being Dead On Arrival.

PPC wasn't a bad architecture when it came out, but alas IBM/Motorola couldn't keep up with the speed increases they promised at a reasonable cost.

Yes, you do pay a premium for an Apple system over a comporable equiped Windows box, but that is the only way to legally get the MacOS at the moment. Is it worth the huge price premium for just the design and the OS ? That is up to the consumer to decide. If you think so, Apple does have a great product line, if you don't, there are tons of PC manufacturers out there, or you could always side-step the law and run MacOS on a homebrew box.

Defend Apple all you like, still doesn't change the fact that their LCD lineup is inferior to almost every major panel manufacturer out there in terms of warranty & price.
Not to mention features!

But, hey, I bought a 20" for $799 when I could have gotten a Dell 2005FPW (and did...long story) for about $450 -- and that display has a plethora of features. To put it bluntly, I've never been so satisfied with a product than I have been with the Cinema Display. I'd do it again, even if it were $1000. Maybe $1200.

I make my choices, you make yours. Welcome to America. Now, if you would please, stop trolling.

Oh, and Apple intends to go fully LED backlit by the end of 2007, so I expect we won't be waiting too much longer for new Cinema Displays.

Oh, and Apple intends to go fully LED backlit by the end of 2007, so I expect we won't be waiting too much longer for new Cinema Displays.

Apple will NOT Have a full LED lineup by the end of 2007 - they are just going to introduce theri first LED models in 2007.

This is from Apple.com

Arsenic and mercury are industry standard materials used in liquid crystal displays (LCDs). Arsenic is added during the manufacturing of the high performance glass used in LCDs to prevent the formation of defects, and the fluorescent lamps used to illuminate LCDs contain minute amounts of mercury. Apple is on track to introduce our first displays using arsenic-free glass in 2007. A small number of high performance integrated circuits (ICs) will continue to contain a minute amount of arsenic as an element of the semiconductor substrate.

To eliminate mercury in our displays, we need to transition from fluorescent lamps to light-emitting diodes (LEDs) to illuminate the displays. Fortunately, all iPod displays already use LEDs for illumination, and therefore contain no mercury. We plan to introduce our first Macs with LED backlight technology in 2007. Our ability to completely eliminate fluorescent lamps in all of our displays depends on how fast the LCD industry can transition to LED backlighting for larger displays.

Apple plans to completely eliminate the use of arsenic in all of its displays by the end of 2008.

Apple plans to reduce and eventually eliminate the use of mercury by transitioning to LED backlighting for all displays when technically and economically feasible.

The keye here is "when technically and economically feasible". I just don't think the technology is out there to do it at a cost they can pass off on the stand alone units, for at least 12 - 18 months. Yes, LED on large screens is out there - but the cost is several times that of tubes. They might introduce a 24 inch LED by the end of 2007, but that is a long shot.

Not to mention features!

But, hey, I bought a 20" for $799 when I could have gotten a Dell 2005FPW (and did...long story) for about $450 -- and that display has a plethora of features. To put it bluntly, I've never been so satisfied with a product than I have been with the Cinema Display. I'd do it again, even if it were $1000. Maybe $1200.

I make my choices, you make yours. Welcome to America. Now, if you would please, stop trolling.

placebo effect ftw.

hehe the thread got side tracted for a moment about "ddr3" ahah... anyway......im loving my apple cinema 30" everyday..... wouldnt trade it for a Dell 30" HC thats for sure.. everytime someone sees this display they are lost for words..and they say what size is that?!?! is that a 32" ?!? i say nope.. its a 30" ... how come it looks bigger than the dell 30"!? i say i guess its the aluminum surround that makes it look bigger... then they say tahts aluminum?!? is ay.. yup.. not no cheap plastic...

anyway.. hope apple doesnt change the way the cinemas look too drastically... hope they keep the clean and simple brushed aluminum look :D but just cant wait for new panels to come out.... LED backlighting sounds so nicer...

Back