Where is the HD 3850 AGP card?

I was wondering the same thing. Wouldn't it be in their interest to release the card as soon they could, since the number of the AGP systems is diminishing with each passing day (or the reasons to keep them running).

You guys might want to re-think that one... Unless ATI/AMD has gotten their act together, I would'nt touch anything AGP related from them with "a ten foot pole". My friend bought a brand new ATI HD2600 Pro at my recommendation....it now sits in it's original box in a drawer having never been used in a stable manner, because the factory CD never came with a useable AGP driver (only PCI-E). As if that were n't bad enough, the driver released afterward still did NOT have AGP support. I'm so irritated with them right now that I blatently refuse to even look at their products....not till they get their act together anyway.

I dunno. Maybe its time to buy a cheap PCIe board.

+1, forget AGP, buy a cheap mobo with pcix and a cheap cpu, and then go for the vid card. I would strongly suggest to hold off on the 3850 AGP even though it seems like a good way to go. I would save that money and go for new mobo/cpu and 3850 pci-x. If you can't afford it now, hold off until you can, because you know that you will need more power very soon.

+1, forget AGP, buy a cheap mobo with pcix and a cheap cpu, and then go for the vid card. I would strongly suggest to hold off on the 3850 AGP even though it seems like a good way to go. I would save that money and go for new mobo/cpu and 3850 pci-x. If you can't afford it now, hold off until you can, because you know that you will need more power very soon.

how do you know we will :eek:

I agree! PCI-E is also cheaper too.

i heard there are some massive driver issues with the 3850agps so the stores are currently not selling the card. so far ive only found one person that has the card thats actually been able to get it to work.

hopefully when the 8.2s come out, the stores will start selling.

totally agree, i am currently looking into upgrading to PCI, ive used AGP as long as i had a PC(just bought a HD 2400 which not too impressed). im buying a Crossfire MOBO, New PSU, New CPU, New RAM, and probably a 2900 maybe even a 3850, but id drop AGP.

In fact, the original poster seems to be using a socket 478 P4. If he grabs one of the rare 478+PCIe boards he may be able to convert without upgrading his CPU and hold out for Nehalem.

We are at the end of January and nothing yet!:mad:

Biostar P4M900M4 Socket 478 + DDR2 + PCI-Express. $55.00

Diamond Viper 3850 512MB PCIe $185.00

Then 2 gigs of DDR2 if you're using DDR1 is like $40.00

So you could get your 3850, convert to PCIe and DDR2, without replacing your CPU, for under $300. That should hold you for a while and if anything cool video-card wise pops up, you can use it because you have PCIe. But this should hold you over until you can afford to replace your CPU.

But to be honest you could get an LGA775 motherboard for the same price as that 478 one, and then spend another $50 on a vastly superior CPU. That would run you about $350 total for a complete overhaul to yuor system :) Not bad IMHO.

did it occur to anyone that agp people may be happy with what they already have and are just looking for something new to stick in the agp slot? also, if it was really important for them to switch don't you think they would have done so by now? there is no need to stone people that are still on agp.

did it occur to anyone that agp people may be happy with what they already have and are just looking for something new to stick in the agp slot? also, if it was really important for them to switch don't you think they would have done so by now? there is no need to stone people that are still on agp.

No one is being stoned, I offered economical advice that will save money and transition the poster to a more modern platform. If they choose to ignore it, that is fine. I have a great many friends who are ignorant about hardware and like to waste their money, I don't force them either.

Agreed. I have already updated to a pci-e system (see sig). Rather than tossing my old system out, I would like to do some moderate gaming on it if possible. I'm not looking to play Crysis on it but playing FEAR would be nice.

No one is being stoned, I offered economical advice that will save money and transition the poster to a more modern platform. If they choose to ignore it, that is fine. I have a great many friends who are ignorant about hardware and like to waste their money, I don't force them either.

We'll I guess you're one of the good ones who just gives friendly advice and I applaud you for that. I have a lot of friends who are ignorant PCI-E users who feel the need to tell people how much money they're wasting and how stupid they are for not converting to PCI-E. For some reason the PCI-E know-it-alls, as I sometimes call my friends, can't visualize a single reason why someone would want to continue using AGP. That's a big part of their problem I think. They just don't know that there are many reasons why people choose to stay on AGP and a number of those reasons don't even concern money. I'm glad you're not like that though, as we have enough trolls already trashing every AGP related thread that gets started.

They just don't know that there are many reasons why people choose to stay on AGP and a number of those reasons don't even concern money. I'm glad you're not like that though, as we have enough trolls already trashing every AGP related thread that gets started.

Well a big part of that, I think, is that the people who make the threads get so defensive. People get frustrated when there is a thread asking for advice and the person only wants to be told what they want to hear.

A lot of the AGP-related threads don't really make clear why someone wants to stay on AGP. I've not really seen any compelling reasons. All I usually see are people getting defensive and argumentative when someone even mentions PCIe. I think if they were to point out logical reasons why, they wouldnt get ridiculed so badly. Saying "Look shut up I dont want to hear about PCI Express I want AGP" doesn't fly so well around here.

I would very much like to know why anyone would stick with AGP for their primary gaming system at this point. Even for people with Socket 478 and Socket 754 CPUs there are cheap PCI Express boards. A cheap motherboard, plus 2GB of DDR2 is $100, or less depending on sales/rebates. A new CPU is another $50-75. That is so extremely affordable.

I would very much like to know why anyone would stick with AGP for their primary gaming system at this point. Even for people with Socket 478 and Socket 754 CPUs there are cheap PCI Express boards. A cheap motherboard, plus 2GB of DDR2 is $100, or less depending on sales/rebates. A new CPU is another $50-75. That is so extremely affordable.

=Main Machine=
Gigabyte K8U-939 - AMD Athlon64 x2 4400+ (Toledo)
2 gigs of ddr400 - ATI Radeon x1950pro 512mb AGP

That is my main rig. Note the gigabyte mobo. I purchased it initially to go alongside an A64 3500+ and my trusty ole 9800 Pro. At the time, the 939 platform was the new hot thing.... Over time, I've swapped out the gpu twice. Once to a 7800gs and again to my current x1950pro. I have also upgraded the cpu to the current toledo core (4400+ x2). Now, I admit fault in not switching to pci-x when I went dual core. My bad, I was trying to save a couple of bucks. It all comes down to dollars and cents. Can you blame me for wanting to spend $200-250 (on a 3850) versus $500-700 (new mobo, new proc, new ram, new vid card )????

Well a big part of that, I think, is that the people who make the threads get so defensive. People get frustrated when there is a thread asking for advice and the person only wants to be told what they want to hear.

OK, the first thing wrong with what you said was that most AGP threads are not about people asking for advice, just like this one. Most AGP threads begin with just a simple question asking when an AGP video card is going to be released or which AGP card should I buy? Then within 1-3 posts, they’re descended upon by the PCI-E “Enthusiasts” trying to convert them and if they don’t listen they’re either ridiculed or forced into the AGP Club thread where it’s safe. PCI-E advice givers are frustrated??? OMG, that’s laughable.

A lot of the AGP-related threads don't really make clear why someone wants to stay on AGP. I've not really seen any compelling reasons. All I usually see are people getting defensive and argumentative when someone even mentions PCIe. I think if they were to point out logical reasons why, they wouldnt get ridiculed so badly. Saying "Look shut up I dont want to hear about PCI Express I want AGP" doesn't fly so well around here.

I’m sorry, I beg to differ. I see thread after thread filled with AGP users giving “compelling” reasons, it’s just that no one wants to listen to them because they're are too busy linking to PCI-E motherboards on Newegg.

All you usually see are people getting defensive and argumentitive? I think you need to take part in more AGP threads my friend. The only time I see AGP users getting defensive is after they are told how ignorant they are for throwing their money away and how stupid they are for not upgrading.

You want people to give logical reasons why they wish to remain on AGP? AGP users have been giving logical reasons why for 4 years, and none of them are good enough apparently for certain PCI-E “Enthusiasts” (Not referring to you NKDietrich). Personally, I could give you three very logical reasons why I chose to stay on the AGP platform up until last year, but after so many years of repeating myself, I’m done justifying my actions. I will say this though, money was reason number three for me, not reason number one.

Also NO AGP users have said “look shut-up I don’t want to hear about PCI-E Express”. They have a little more respect for their fellow forum members than that, unlike certain PCI-E “Enthusiasts” I know of (Not referring to you NKDietrich). However, I have seen some AGP users forced into qualifying their threads/posts sometimes by saying something like, “Please I’m not interested in PCI-E” which is fairly self explanatory, yet that doesn’t stop the ensuing barrage of AGP bashing.

If you would really like to know why, I would suggest you do a forum search for AGP in the thread title. I bet you’ll find a lot of reasons, none of which you'll agree with of course. Also if you do choose to read through the some of the threads, allow yourself extra time as you'll need to sift through all the AGP bashing posts first.

Finally, after 4 years I think AGP users know that PCI-E cards are less expensive. AGP users all know PCI-E is the future of the PC. AGP users all know it has more bandwidth. AGP users all know you can buy a cheap PCI-E motherboard for peanuts and a CPU for the shells. AGP users all know that PCI-E 2.0 is here and PCI-E 1.x is dead. What AGP users don't know is why the hell they can't be left the hell alone or why the PCI-E "Enthusiasts" should care so much?

Ex-AGP Club Member # 93

I upgraded from a p133mhz & win95 to a p300mhz & win98, then to a PIII 933mhz & win2000, then to a p4 2Ghz & XP pro, and my last uprade was to a P4 3.0ghz & XP pro and Vista Ultimate. In all these upgrades I have used hard drives, video cards, cases and PS from previous setups and have bought many components to enhance performance. Perhaps my next upgrade will be the new socket cpus, once prices settle down:D

Well, to make it more relevant into the "When this AGP card is coming out". I should say that I need it so I could wait to the new socket CPUs while I play COD2 and COD4 @ 1280 x 1024 or 1600 x 1200 native resolutions.

Wow, and I thought this thread was about when the AGP card was coming out. I should've known better. :D

A thread could be titled "Look at this aftermarket cooler I just put on my AGP card" and it would turn into this.

Nice post HonestJohn. Like I have stated previously, I have a current day gaming rig (see sig). That doesn't mean I should throw away the P4 system I have laying around. It also doesn't mean I need to settle for the 9600 Pro currently installed in it. I want what I want & I don't need to be lectured on what I should have. I appreciate the comments but as HJ stated, we asked a specific question. So tell me, where are the 3850agp cards?

Wow, and I thought this thread was about when the AGP card was coming out. I should've known better. :D

A thread could be titled "Look at this aftermarket cooler I just put on my AGP card" and it would turn into this.

That's usually why I don't even bother posting in threads such as this anymore, but every once in a while I suffer from AGP flashbacks and need to vent a little. But you're right, AGP after market cooler, my Grandpa died and left me his AGP card, I just got $50 for my birthday what AGP card should I get? All the threads end up the same way.

Nice post HonestJohn. Like I have stated previously, I have a current day gaming rig (see sig). That doesn't mean I should throw away the P4 system I have laying around. It also doesn't mean I need to settle for the 9600 Pro currently installed in it. I want what I want & I don't need to be lectured on what I should have. I appreciate the comments but as HJ stated, we asked a specific question. So tell me, where are the 3850agp cards?

They're available outside of the US at the moment. I've seen two or three posts from users complaining of driver issues and another from someone stating his is working fine. If I come across anything more, I'll let you know. Also in the ATI Forum, there's another thread going on about this card at the moment and Another_User who is posting in that thread is really staying on top of things. So you you may want to monitor that thread.

They're available outside of the US at the moment. I've seen two or three posts from users complaining of driver issues and another from someone stating his is working fine. If I come across anything, I'll let you know if I come across anything.

Excellent. Thanks.

tagged so I can monitor this...

I want one these cards for my A64 Venice @ 2.7ghz ;)

Chaintech VNF3-250 / BIOS VN120916
Athlon64 3000+ Venice @ 2.73ghz / Zalman Fatal1ty FS-C77
2x512 Gskill PC4400 @ 2.5-4-3-8-1T
Sapphire x1950 Pro @ 615 core/ 1500 memory
WinXP Pro Corp SP2 / DX 9.0c / CAT 8.1
2x74GB WD740GD Raptor SATA / Raid0
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS / Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1
NEC ND-3550A / PLEXTOR PX-230A-BPS
RAIDMAX Storm / APEX AL-B500E
Hitachi V810 21"

Well expressed honestjohn...thanks for spending time and taking the effort...once again.

They just don't know that there are many reasons why people choose to stay on AGP and a number of those reasons don't even concern money.

im sorry but im not seeing any other reason besides higher cost/lack of coin why someone would want to stay on agp. care to enlighten me?

im sorry but im not seeing any other reason besides higher cost/lack of coin why someone would want to stay on agp. care to enlighten me?

I'm sorry, No I wouldn't. See previous post.

Personally, I could give you three very logical reasons why I chose to stay on the AGP platform up until last year, but after so many years of repeating myself, I’m done justifying my actions. I will say this though, money was reason number three for me, not reason number one.

I only recall seeing Sapphire claiming a 3850 AGP in the future, that might point you in the right direction.

I scored a 7950 GT AGP for only 180 bucks :) I am sooooooooo happy. Can't wait till it comes. will be great for my goon-rig!

Is it really that hard just to take people at their word when they say they want agp? Every time a thread is created with the letters "agp" in the title, it takes about two seconds before people start lauding the greatness and affordability of pcie.

What you fail to understand is that while that is often true, some of us understand all the benifits thereof and have still decided that we are not ready to do a full system upgrade, and therefore want to just upgrade our videocard. Take me for example, I have a nice old 754 agp system... it works, and cpu is plenty fast for what I do (bf2, far cry, guild wars) but I only have a 128mb graphics card. I game at 1600x1200, and consequently I run out of graphics ram before I hit the limit... I can play bf2 at 70fps, but if I turn up textures above low, I start having memory shortages. Therefore, since the system works for me, is it more economical to by a new system now, or spend ~$50 on a new card on ebay, since both will get me where I want to go? the second is obviously better, and will let me buy a nicer system when I do upgrade.

I also have a very overclockable Pentium D matx rig that will probably become my lanparty rig at some point... this card would be nice for that.

Because they want to waste money on an AGP card rather then just saving and getting a ton more for their video/computer purchase.(Doesnt apply to people who dont really game)

If they choose to stay with it then more power to them I say.

Back