• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Where is the Audigy 4?

steviep

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
4,985
I see it on Creative's site, but don't see it anywhere else. And why skip 3? And why only a "pro" version? Me no understand.
 
You know, it just occured to me that they might have numbered this one "4" becaue "3" is coming along soon, and they wanted to have the nomenclature be clear for marketing purposes.

FWIW, here's a writeup on the Audigy 4
 
When are the PCI-ex cards due? I'm assuming those are the 3's you're talking about. I am planning on getting a new machine soon, and I'm an audiophile... I currently have a Live 5.1, and was going to get an Audigy 2 ZS, but if the 3's are out soon.... then... lol

BTW, why name the PCI card a 4, and PCI-ex a 3? Just doesn't make sense...
 
I've just ordered an audigy4pro from www.komplett.com .

It's possibly a slightly silly purchase because I already have an Audigy2.

Gaming would be my primary consideration, but I do like to listen to music as well, and the A2 has been somewhat disappointing in that area, from what I've read the A4 is basically just an A2 with better music playback quality, some places saying it catches up with, if not surpasses, traditionally better music cards like the Revo, which may just make it the perfect PC all-rounder.

It seems pretty easy to dismiss the A4 as nothing special (particularly given the price), but the A2 only really had the one weakness, and it looks like the A4 addresses that (though why they didn't just stick the better DACs on the A2zs in the first place I don't quite get), so this could be the last card I buy for quite a while.

This is one of my more expensive experiments, so I'm hoping this guy at least raises the music quality from "meh" to "mmm", I guess I'll find out in a couple of days.

Oh, and it looks like there's no Audigy3 in the works, one of the sites that looked at the A4 asked Creatives Marketing folks what the deal was with the name and were told that the A2zs was as close to A3 as they were going to get.
 
Newegg doesn't ship to Canada :(
The Audigy 4 does a much better job at audio processing than the 2ZS, so no it's not a waste of money. It's not significant, no... but there is an upgrade. I'm thinking of waiting for their PCI-express "Zenith" cards, though.
 
steviep said:
Newegg doesn't ship to Canada :(
The Audigy 4 does a much better job at audio processing than the 2ZS, so no it's not a waste of money. It's not significant, no... but there is an upgrade. I'm thinking of waiting for their PCI-express "Zenith" cards, though.

No, lets be clear, the audio processor is exactly the same one that's in the A2zs (and A2), so it does exactly the same processing job (it even retains the same 44/48khz resampling issue), the only notable hardware difference is that the A4 uses higher quality DACs which means the analogue output (and input) quality is better.

How much better in the real world is the only question, I'm not expecting some dramatic earth shattering improvment, and I suspect that anyone who is would be badly disappointed.
All I'm hoping for is that the DACs do enough to bring the A4 into line with the envy based cards musically.

But I fully acknowledge that it is quite a lot of money for such a modest improvement.
 
It's not earth-shattering, just better. I read a review on the 'net, the link is in this thread. The quality of the Audigy 4 surpasses the Audigy 2 ZS, in just about every aspect, though mostly minimally, from the other writeups on the 'net.
 
steviep said:
Newegg doesn't ship to Canada :(
The Audigy 4 does a much better job at audio processing than the 2ZS, so no it's not a waste of money. It's not significant, no... but there is an upgrade. I'm thinking of waiting for their PCI-express "Zenith" cards, though.
im waiting for the zenith cards too. have you heard any more information on them. i heard it was suppost to be released in march. but i read that a long time ago.
 
tell me more about the zenith.

does creative plan to offer a card comparable to the audigy4 pro in pci express?

I like the 4pro because of the I/O box and high quality DACs, I was looking for a card that does both pro recording and gaming well, and this looks to be it... but its only PCI, a PCI-E version would be a better investment.
 
You're right. I'm waiting for it too. But... I haven't seen any further information other than the link posted somewhere in this forum. Anybody?
 
Back
Top