• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

where is my SSD space going?

stang3O2

n00b
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
21
I have a 30gb OCZ SSD and a 500gb HDD. My SDD is getting uncomfortably full. When I first installed Windows 7 and a couple of everyday programs that I use on it I had about 7GB of space left on it. over the past few months it has been eaten up without me (knowingly) putting anything on it. Yesterday after a windows update (which included Microsoft.NET Framework 4 client profile KB2533523 which i uninstalled to try and restore space) it went from 3.5gb of free space down to 2.6gb of free space and the C drive graph turned red. So I went looking for ways to free up space and found that I could disable hibernate and I did. After doing so my free space went up to 8.7gb, but today it installed the same update from yesterday that I uninstalled and restarted, and now I'm down to 1.9gb of free space and that is with me again uninstalling that update. I also went into cmd to make sure the hibernate didnt get turned back on somehow and it did not, in fact now it will not let me turn hibernate on because it is too low on space, so now I have very little space left and I'm wondering what is using up all this space?

So somehow I lost 1.5gb from an update that was uninstalled and I lost the extra 7gb I gained by turning off hibernate, all while not changing/donwloading anything

Also if I click on My Computer it shows that I am using 27.67GB of the available 29.7, but if I click on the C drive then highlight all the folders in it and click properties it says there is only 24.4GB (size on disk)

I have ran CCleaner and file indexing is off.



*(first part of this post was written last night below is an update)

This morning I changed page files to off and gained 8GB of space putting me at 10.1GB free and 2 hours later after only web browsing and running CCleaner my free space was down to 9.3GB.




 
You might check to see if it has restore points and where they are, link.

While Win7 can certainly work on a 30G drive, it is a minimum. My Windows folder alone on my C-drive is a little less than 27G.
 
I just noticed something. I just downloaded Tweetdeck to the SSD before I downloaded it I had 9.25GB left, after the download it had 8.75GB CNET said the download size was 13.39MB so it should not have used that much space, but then I uninstalled it and it only went up to 8.79GB, this is just like the updates that i uninstalled where it would take a bunch of space when it downloaded it but when i uninstalled it, it barley gained a fraction of the space back. Shouldn't I get all the space back if I uninstall it?
 
Sometimes download files are expanded in one of TEMP-like folders, check that. Also the download folder but I assume you've checked that.
 
As alluded by deeppow, almost everytime hard drive/SSD space seems to disappear on me, System Restore is the culprit. You mention installing Tweetdeck.. System Restore would have made a backup of your system when you installed Tweetdeck. Use CCleaner to see how many system restores are on your machine. I doubt you need more than the latest couple. In CCleaner, go to Tools, then System Restore.. you can then delete any old System Restores on your machine. I am almost always surprised how much hard drive/SSD memory that gets freed up when I do this.

CCleaner is suppose to go delete things like temporary files, old prefetch data, clipboard, memory dumps and such but still good to follow deeppow's suggestion to check everywhere for files CCleaner might be missing. If you do find such files, can always manually configure CCleaner to delete those files whenever it is run.. I do that for Flash super cookies. Also make sure you have everything in CCleaner Windows and Applications checked (except wipe free space and compact databases) especially whenever CCleaner gets updated.
 
Empty out \windows\temp and users\username\appdata\local\temp You will also get install files left in \windows\installer. Another space and cpu hog can be the windows search indexer, you should kill that and go with Everything in its place (voidtools.com) much better, faster and smaller. Also, cut down on your system restore points.
 
Have you considered upgrading to a larger SSD?
30GB with Win7 in any instance is pushing the limit.

+1 to CCleaner.
 
You need to dig into that disk usage analyzer tree and see where the culprits are. (The image is too small to see anything here.)

The winsxs folder seems to be Microsoft's latest CF they've heaped onto us. Might want to check there first.
 
You need to dig into that disk usage analyzer tree and see where the culprits are. (The image is too small to see anything here.)

The winsxs folder seems to be Microsoft's latest CF they've heaped onto us. Might want to check there first.

maybe this will be better-

cdrive3.jpg
 
My impression is that the winsxs folder is just going to keep growing and growing and growing until you have to just re-install Windows.

You can probably do a web search on clearing out the winsxs folder to see what can be erased without borking your system. Be careful though.

And just think... Microsoft is pushing to get Windows on phones and tablets. :confused:
 
My impression is that the winsxs folder is just going to keep growing and growing and growing until you have to just re-install Windows.

You can probably do a web search on clearing out the winsxs folder to see what can be erased without borking your system. Be careful though.

And just think... Microsoft is pushing to get Windows on phones and tablets. :confused:

Just be very careful with the winsxs folder and deleting items in it. This folder keeps specific dependencies for programs, which may be different or older that the installed version or specific to the functioning of a particular program. Tinkering around in there can cause unexpected and unfortunate complications for your installed apps. If you are at the point where you just have NO space available, you could create a directory symbolic link to another drive and move the entire winsxs folder there.
 
Yup 30GB is simply not enough for Windows. My Windows install (which I've run since 9/2009) is now taking up 24GBs of space alone. You can try to move your page file to your HDD but that's only delaying the inevitable.
 
I'd say it's your winsxs folder. That folder by design grows larger and larger over time. There is no way to shrink it safely.

Other than that it's some temp files from your web browser and such.
 
Learn to love "mklink /j" aka junction links (aka symbolic points). For my 40GB SSD, I moved my Steam, game save folders (800 megs surprisingly), iTunes backup from the "roaming" folder (a whopping 8GB), and a few other gems that took up way to much space. This also makes a fresh install easy as I just save the files on my D: and just recreate the links.

As for the winsxs folder, you can absolutely shrink it safely, but don't expect it to get to 0. As long as you understand what it is used for, and know what you are removing, simply go into the command prompt (start menu, cmd) and type in "dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded" without the quotes. This lowered the folder size from 12GB to my current 6.77GB.
 
Something else is going on. My Windows folder, with all updates current, is 16.3 GB's. I run Win 7 64 Ultimate.
 
Do you have iTunes? My iPhone backups took something like 60GB on my old install

Edit: didn't see the screenshots above. Dunno what's up with your windows folder, though to be fair mine is probably as large
 
after wondering the same thing for a while, just saw this thread - glad to see someone else was thinking the same!

i did this;
Empty out \windows\temp and users\username\appdata\local\temp You will also get install files left in \windows\installer. Another space and cpu hog can be the windows search indexer, you should kill that and go with Everything in its place (voidtools.com) much better, faster and smaller. Also, cut down on your system restore points.

and also ran the "dism" command i found here http://forums.techarena.in/operating-systems/1323437.htm

i went from 29.1GB free to 36.1GB free after all that, thanks :D
 
update- I just got off the phone with my friend who built this pc for me and he had me run the disk cleanup again and had me check the "Service Pack Backup Files" which was 920MB. This is what baffles me...Before I ran it I had 3.1GB free on the SSD and my Windows/WINSXS folder was 10.5GB

after I ran the disk clean up which was supposed to clean up 923MB total My SSD Free space went up to 5.70 GB (gaining 2.6 GB or 2662 MB) and my WINSXS folder dropped from 10.5 GB to 7.0 GB (gaining 3.5 GB)

How is this possible?! The math does not add up. I deleted 0.9 GB on the disk clean up and it freed up 3.5 GB in the WINSXS folder but only gained 2.6 GB in the SSD
 
Back
Top