Where is my bottleneck?

Uncle Humjaba

Limp Gawd
So my rig is in my sig (q6600 3ghz, 260gtx/196, 4gb ram) and i'm getting somewhat sluggish performance in bc2 and just cause 2. I play at 1920x1200. Would my aging processor be able to take advantage of an upgrade to, say, a 5850? I leave my task manager open in my second monitor during gaming and I dont see spikes of 100% usage other than when loading so that leads me to believe I'm GPU limited. I suppose I could turn the settings down, but what's the fun in that? :p

Thanks

Last edited:
So my rig is in my sig (q6600 3ghz, 260gtx/196, 4gb ram) and i'm getting somewhat sluggish performance in bc2 and just cause 2. I play at 1920x1200. Would my aging processor be able to take advantage of an upgrade to, say, a 5850? I leave my task manager open in my second monitor during gaming and I dont see spikes of 100% usage other than when loading so that leads me to believe I'm GPU limited. I suppose I could turn the settings down, but what's the fun in that? :p

Thanks

I have a friend with a very similar system

q9550 @ 3.2, 260gtx/196, 8gb ram @ 1920x1080

he has been bitching about upgrading for a while, and also gets really poor performance in fraps.

the 260 is definatly your bottleneck, and a 5850 would be a sweet upgrade. that being said if you up your q6600 to 3.4-3.8ghz you might find it helps alot. BC2 does love the multi processors @ high speed

dude turn your settings down to medium, there is not much difference, and also run DX9 if you want more speed. the 196 core doesnt have the power to run that res @ full settings @ 60FPS, or even 30FPS constant

I agree, get an HD 5850 and bump up the OC on that Q6600 a bit more (the chip and HDT-S1283 should be able to handle more than 3Ghz).

umm... No ^^ That might increase loading times but I think he is referring to lack of FPS and possibly artifacts in the game itself. I would say that a GPU upgrade would most likely take care of your problem, but to be honest, with your setup there shouldnt be too big of an issue playing that game. Steps I would take are first, Make sure you dont have V-Sync sometimes called Vertical Sync or Vert Sync for short on. This will drop the FPS, and it is not necessarily needed (there have been long and extensive debates over this) But I do not notice much of a difference. I would also turn Anti Aliasing down if you have that set at max. You should be able to run all of the graphics settings at max as long as you arent stressing your system too much with these two settings that honestly don't make that large of a difference in terms of quality.

Hope this helps! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.
-Massacre

I agree, get an HD 5850 and bump up the OC on that Q6600 a bit more (the chip and HDT-S1283 should be able to handle more than 3Ghz).

^this. If you really have a spending bug you could also look into an SSD, it would only really help your game load times but other tasks would go much quicker (loading applications, transferring files, etc)

I don't need an SSD, and massacre i've done all those things. I have to have BC2 on medium in order to get playable framerates (30fps minimum for me). It seemed to be less choppy for me when I was on Vista, but when I upgraded to Win7 framerates dropped. HBAO and vsync are off.

so from what I can see your options are as follows;

1) upgrade the gpu to a 4890/gtx275/5830/5850+
2) drop your gaming res to 1680x1050.

Back