Where does outlook express store the .eml's?

smdion

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 30, 2003
Messages
447
Trying to find the folder that outlook express stores the emails... any help
 
Well it depends on what version of windows you are using what the default place will be but there is a sure fire way to find it.


Open up OE (open the identity that you are looking for) and goto:
Tools \ Options

Select the Maintenance tab under the new window and hit the button that says store folder.

The box that opens is the location of the folder that holds the Message files. I don't believe that this location is where you address book is however.
 
Alternatively, getting the files manually (I prefer) is possible;

C:\Documents and Settings\Your User\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{SomeRandomNumber}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Those my friend, are you outlook express files. If you format, and wish to restore them, do this:

1) Backup the files
2) Format/Install XP/2000
3) Setup Outlook (without restoring the files), your account info etc etc, then close it.
4) Restore files into the folder (the "SomeRandomNumber" will be different)
5) Reload Outlook

Be sure you setup outlook first, or the "SomeRandomNumber" won't be there.

Luck.....:D
 
Ok I got a question related to what The Donut said.
I found the files I want to restore. I have already installed OE on a new disk drive. My old disk drive has email that I want to transfer to the new drive I created. But there is already a .DBX file in my new XP install.
So the question is, do I just drop in my old .DBX files so that is overwrites the new file? Or will it add to it? If it overwrites the old with the new, not a big deal. I am fine with that.
It's just that I have my old disk drive still in my computer so I can try and move stuff to the new disk drive and that includes OE email that I want to keep. Well recover for now. I don't want to loose the data. So as soon as I get it, I am going to send all the email I have to keep to a web based email such as Yahoo so I don't loose it. I wish there was a way in Yahoo email to password protect each folder you create with a different password than login password. Now that would be cool! :D
Anyhow, to review, I just want to move email on my old OE disk drive to my new OE on my new disk drive. So it's as simple as dragging and dropping old OE files on new? Is that it? If not, please enlighten me. :)
 
Back
Top