• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Where do you store all your hardware?

BLG

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 21, 2004
Messages
308
I've been building computers for about 8 or 9 years now, and I've accumulated a lot of stuff, that I just can't bare to throw away. I guess I'm just a hoarder of computer parts... but I can't be the only one!

Now, I've hit a point where my apartment has random computer gear everywhere. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of how they store their old/spare parts. Pictures welcome.

Here is a small sample:
http://imgur.com/k7pvv.jpg
http://imgur.com/kXxpG.jpg
http://imgur.com/Y27vM.jpg (my roommates and my lan setup for sc2 :))
http://imgur.com/LPg3x.jpg

I also have a tub from Target filled with wires, cables and fans... but its so unholy I couldn't show it.
 
I pick up old parts for doing work for people and/or from old builds, usually I just try to sell what I can but stuff that I haven't sold yet I just put them in totes and store them in my garage. I need to go through them one day and separate them all, take pictures and see who wants it. I even think I got a Pentium III system in the garage somewhere still.
 
The stuff that can not fit in my computer room goes in the attic and garage. Although that is obviously not kind on hard drives. I have sold some but usually my stuff is almost worthless by the time I want to part with it.
 
That's my problem too. I hold on to things and/or pick up things that are so old, it's not even worth selling.
 
A large box. I recently cleaned through it, trying to find stuff I could sell. Threw most of it away. I don't need 100 molex fan connectors!
 
Used to store extra cables and spare parts in a huge 21" CRT box I had from back in the day. Ended up going to Sam's Club and picking up a nice rack system with bins for around $125. Doesn't fit everything, but what it does fit is nice and organized. Sits in my closet and keeps things from being messy and when I need something it's a breeze to find. Too lazy for pics, might take some later... ;)
 
Shelves and boxes. Throw out stuff when it gets old enough.

For instance, I'd toss that Socket A board in the first picture.

I cleaned out all my SDRAM stuff a few years ago. P4 stuff is getting thrown away soon.
 
Yah I gathered a box of old hardware last week, about to take it outside to the sidewalk and let others deal with my problem haha. But I still have some newer hardware that I need to organize too. I have yet to find a way.

I really wish someone would use this idea and start making them for various hardware. maybe a bigger box that has compartments for delicate small chips (CPUs, RAMs), 2 or 3 mobo, several hard drives, single & double slot cards, optical drives, and a PSU.

hddtray.jpg
 
Last edited:
Yah I gathered a box of old hardware last week, about to take it outside to the sidewalk and let others deal with my problem haha. But I still have some newer hardware that I need to organize too. I have yet to find a way.

I really wish someone would use this idea and start making them for various hardware. maybe a bigger box that has compartments for delicate small chips (CPUs, RAMs), 2 or 3 mobo, several hard drives, single & double slot cards, optical drives, and a PSU.

hddtray.jpg

is that ESD safe?
 
Most of my old hardware has gone bad so I just tossed it. I did just toss out about three or four perfectly good hard drives though. They were old and I no longer had a use for them so I just ran a drill bit through all of them and tossed them in the trash.
 
Shoe boxes and bubble wrap are great for hard drives, video cards, sound cards, CPUs and coolers, PSUs, fans... And they're easy to stack up in your garage/attic (and then you can blame your wife/GF for having so many pairs of shoes when she complains about your computer parts ;) ). For motherboards, I usually keep the original boxes to store the older hardware until I sell it.
 
Shelves and boxes. Throw out stuff when it gets old enough.

For instance, I'd toss that Socket A board in the first picture.

I cleaned out all my SDRAM stuff a few years ago. P4 stuff is getting thrown away soon.


I guess you know you have a problem when you can't part with your socket A. That's actually my 2nd socket A board I have another one in a shoe-box system that I haven't seen/used in a year.
 
I went to walmart and picked up a few plastic drawer sets so everything is in its place. It it doesnt fit in there....out it goes! I end up giving alot of stuff away in the end because it simply isnt used. Sometimes I will sell a lot of stuff for cheap because I was going to toss it anway.
 
I have piles of random crap that I fish through as I need parts.

Should they ever stop charging to cart away electronics, I might actually get rid of most of it.
 
I have a bunch of cardboard boxes full of pc stuff, there is one that is just fans, and another for wires. A box of skrews. Haha, I don't know what I will do with it all.
 
I try to get rid of all of my old stuff, but otherwise I just toss everything in a cardboard box named Computer Stuff.
 
I used to keep a bunch of stuff in an old filing cabinet.
Re-usable things like fans, screws, video cards, HD's etc..wrapped in old static bags.
 
I've been building computers for about 8 or 9 years now, and I've accumulated a lot of stuff, that I just can't bare to throw away. I guess I'm just a hoarder of computer parts... but I can't be the only one!

Now, I've hit a point where my apartment has random computer gear everywhere. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of how they store their old/spare parts. Pictures welcome.

Here is a small sample:
http://imgur.com/k7pvv.jpg
http://imgur.com/kXxpG.jpg
http://imgur.com/Y27vM.jpg (my roommates and my lan setup for sc2 :))
http://imgur.com/LPg3x.jpg

I also have a tub from Target filled with wires, cables and fans... but its so unholy I couldn't show it.

If you play on b.net and are pretty good, PM me, I'm always looking for more people to play with
 
Back
Top