Where do you hide your multiple 4P rigs?

Whaler_99

Weaksauce
Hey guys - just wondering what kinds of setups some of you have that are running multiple 4P setups? Where do you keep them? Have you run power specifically for them? Cooling in the summer? Etc.

Right now I have two 4P systems in my crawl space pretty much maxing out the 15A circuit and basically heating my basement. I am now looking into a third unit and wondering... where the heck to put it (hide I mean). The Mrs. can get a wee bit touchy as hardware starts to "sprawl".

I thought maybe a 20A circuit into the garage, but that won't work - it isn't insulated, so at +30 in the summer and -20 in the winter, I may have issues. Putting a third in the crawl space is doable, I can run more power in, but venting all that waste heat is near on impossible...

Looking forward to some ideas. If anyone has links to other threads with this type of info, please let me know. Thanks!

sigimage.php

Last edited:
Garage!

Gets fuckn hot in the summer but Ive got some crazy CFM delta's in push/pull..

Garage.

Gets 115+ in the summer, so I have to lower the OC (not to stock of course).

I used to put my "rigs" in the garage as well. Living in South MS, it got hot during the summer.

so for real i have my boxes in my basement in the laundry room out of the way.

Do you leave them in the garage in the winter so that you have a 'heated' garage or do you bring them back in the house to reduce heating bills? Survey says?
Sincerely,

Do you leave them in the garage in the winter so that you have a 'heated' garage or do you bring them back in the house to reduce heating bills? Survey says?
Sincerely,

I just leave them in one spot out in the garage. I live in FL so winter isnt really winter. More like a more mild summer.

I just leave them in one spot out in the garage. I live in FL so winter isnt really winter. More like a more mild summer.

yeah, "winter"

i'd be inclined to leave the machine wherever i set it up at, so if it was in the garage, i'd leave it there for the winter (proper).

Hmmm Office has 2 liquid cooled 4P rigs and 1 - 980X withh GTX680, Living room has 2 - 4P, formal dining room has 1 - 4P, family room has 1 - 4P and one 980X with Gtx680 and Garage has 1 - 4P so as you can imagine Grandma can get a bit pissy at times especially when family is coming to visit.

The bright side for me is I live in a cool climate so heat is not a real big issue most of the time and I did not have to turn the heater on once last Winter so there is a plus. Although it would cost less to turn the heater on than what it cost to run these boxen. :D

I made a shelf for mine.

2013-08-09%2018.58.31.jpg

2013-08-09%2019.05.05.jpg

2013-08-09%2019.17.31.jpg

There are 2 20a breakers for them.

I made a shelf for mine.

[I
There are 2 20a breakers for them.

Wow - that is really nice setup - I wish my basement had an unfinished section. Unfortunately it was all done when we bought the house. I only have my crawl space, which wouldn't be so bad if I had some way to vent heat. I may need to look further into this. I cannot really drill out anything, the crawl space is mostly below grade, and the section that is, well, that is floor joists. And kinda of against building code to go drilling through those. :)

Hmmm Office has 2 liquid cooled 4P rigs and 1 - 980X withh GTX680, Living room has 2 - 4P, formal dining room has 1 - 4P, family room has 1 - 4P and one 980X with Gtx680 and Garage has 1 - 4P so as you can imagine Grandma can get a bit pissy at times especially when family is coming to visit.

The bright side for me is I live in a cool climate so heat is not a real big issue most of the time and I did not have to turn the heater on once last Winter so there is a plus. Although it would cost less to turn the heater on than what it cost to run these boxen. :D

Ya, my wife gets real pissy if my gear starts to creep out of my area of the basement. The whole "for science and research" doesn't wash with her. :)

In my crawl space I have two 4P servers stacked, another server, run teamspeak and things, networking gear. Office has gaming system, torrent system, storage server, and about 4 others in various states of build and repair....

Wow - that is really nice setup - I wish my basement had an unfinished section. Unfortunately it was all done when we bought the house. I only have my crawl space, which wouldn't be so bad if I had some way to vent heat. I may need to look further into this. I cannot really drill out anything, the crawl space is mostly below grade, and the section that is, well, that is floor joists. And kinda of against building code to go drilling through those. :)

My whole basement is unfinished(was). Wife wants a different house and there is nothing w/ unfinished basement.

I assume the crawlspace connects to your finished basement somehow? Can you vent it into there? Having all that extra space to dump heat would likely help you alot. Maybe install a slat door and a decently quiet fan to blow air toward it?

I assume the crawlspace connects to your finished basement somehow? Can you vent it into there? Having all that extra space to dump heat would likely help you alot. Maybe install a slat door and a decently quiet fan to blow air toward it?

Using some fans to pull cool air into the crawl space along the floor ends up "pushing" a lot of the hot air back out into the basement, through the upper portion. Actually now getting a pretty nice thermal flow going in there. :) Cool air in, hot air out...

Just trying to get some ideas from how others do it on good centralized spots. I am probably definitely going to have to have an electrician come out and install a new 20A circuit from some of this.

The neat thing I never realized it, now that you mentioned venting out to the main room, there is actually a double wall between the "house" and this crawl space, with about 8 inches or so of space in between. My electrical panel actually sits there. I think the finished wall in the basement is a secondary wall to hide all that. I bet I could actually vent a lot of heat into that area, it would simply rise up, probably into the attic area. (will need to get flash light and jam my head in there and look). And it's all nice and dry heat... Hmm... now you got me thinking. :)

I "own" the basement and ground floor in our house for my hobbies.
Wife is the undisputed master of the first floor, where we all live.

We have 2 power contracts with the utility:
Home contract for the first floor.
"Business" contract for my world (They couldn't offer a second home contract)

Without this kind of clarity, our 25 year happy relationship would have undoubtly ended 24 years ago :D

Why not keep the servers in the garage but water cool them and put the radiators outside during the summer and move them inside during the winter?

My Totally not a closet "server room"

Yes, empty closet, but 2x150 CFM vent fans in the ceiling to pull air out of the room, and it pulls air from my room. Seems to work pretty well.

Well darn, stuck my head in between the walls of the basement and crawl space and sure enough, like almost 10 inches in between. Went into the crawl space, moved some stuff around, and there isn't even a wall on the inside of the crawl space. Just some insulation kept in place with plastic. Me thinks I will have some work to do this weekend pulling out some pink insulation, figuring our where everything is back there and installing a few fans to vent the air. :)

Then to get an electrician in to run a new 20A circuit and should be good to go.

If I had more then 1 4P rig, I would set it up so I could vent it outside like the dryer vent.
It should be pretty easy to install one.

Back