Where do you get a decent replacement display PSU?

cortexodus

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm poking around trying to find a replacement PSU for a monitor I've got laying around. It requires 12V 5A and it's probably a 2.5mm barrel plug. There are about a million options on Amazon, Egg, etc.. However, my "Cheap Chinese Shit That Will Burn Your House Down" radar is going off left and right when I look at these things that cost $7.

Can anyone recommend a good way to search for a reasonably high quality replacement brick-style PSU?

just look for good brands. See if chicony or liteon make anything with those specs

just look for good brands. See if chicony or liteon make anything with those specs

I guess I should have clarified further. I don't necessarily trust that what I'm ordering is what it's supposed to be. Counterfeits are pretty much rampant in this product category. Does anyone have suggestions about reputable vendors?

I guess I should have clarified further. I don't necessarily trust that what I'm ordering is what it's supposed to be. Counterfeits are pretty much rampant in this product category. Does anyone have suggestions about reputable vendors?

I've never been burned on anything with good reviews from a seller with high ratings on Amazon or Newegg. Reviews can be faked, but if you just take a minute to read through some it's super obvious when that's the case. It's also my experience that the junk products are pretty much always the ones being sold suspiciously cheaper than the majority of other offerings. If a dozen people are selling cords for $15-20 and one guy's got them for $8, you pretty much know something's up.

Basically though just read the reviews and you should be able to make a sound decision. You can also check for a UL or CSA certification on the unit when you get it. They're the ones that guarantee products won't set your house on fire.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I actually went on a tear through my basement because I just couldn't possibly believe I would toss out this display's PSU and, happily, found the original PSU for it.

I simply choose only things sold by Amazon if I want to make sure I'm not getting a counterfeit.

I simply choose only things sold by Amazon if I want to make sure I'm not getting a counterfeit.

Buying from Amazon directly does not protect you from counterfeit goods.

I've had two customers in the last six months that got counterfeit items shipped to them directly from Amazon. The Amazon marketplace is obviously completely flooded with counterfeit and misrepresented goods, just like Ebay or any other online marketplace.

Buying from Amazon directly does not protect you from counterfeit goods.

I've had two customers in the last six months that got counterfeit items shipped to them directly from Amazon. The Amazon marketplace is obviously completely flooded with counterfeit and misrepresented goods, just like Ebay or any other online marketplace.

Then what is the best alternative? Buy direct from the manufacturer? At least buying direct from Amazon has one of the best online customer service in case of any problems.

Then what is the best alternative? Buy direct from the manufacturer? At least buying direct from Amazon has one of the best online customer service in case of any problems.

Buying directly from the manufacturer is the best option if you want to avoid being potentially on the hook for counterfeit goods. Buying local is another option if you can find a good deal, many places do online price matching and you have the bonus of being able to inspect the items before you buy them.

As for Amazon having good customer service, that only applies to Amazon and not their marketplace.

Back