Where do you draw the line between "Too good to be true" and "Too good to pass up"?

JDanser

Limp Gawd
I just pulled the trigger on one of these.

Seagate Momentus XT 750gb - $33

Now I'm really wondering if it's gonna wind up biting me in the ass.

So where do you guys draw the line?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Great feedback, protected by Paypal, hard not to bite when those are in your favor.

Shipped from China, possibly using parts from Thailand flood, possibly mislabeled or misrepresented. Use every hardware tool you know about to verify that it is what you paid for, test it till you're satisfied that it won't fail on you, and if there is any issues quickly proceed to the dispute phase of paypal.

If I was needing one, or thought that I would need one soon, I probably would have bit too.

Okay good to know I'm not thinking crazy on this one. The second it shows up it's going in my laptop and getting abused in Linux.

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdX

Should write random data to the drive until full and only stop when it's full. Check the log output for total bytes written, Then just to be sure, image the drive. If the image size matches log output I'm golden.

These so called "deals" come up every once in a while, and they never pan out.
Its not even worth the effort it takes to try and "get in" on it.

You may get a package in the mail, but I assure you,it wont be he hard drive your expecting

The project is a new and real, the Chinese New Year festive season the hereby activities, the price is back to normal after the New Year.

^Scary^

For $33 it's worth the risk. Worse that happens is you have to get a refund through PayPal. I won't be surprised if you get the real deal. Someone probably jacked a truck and is selling them overseas to get rid of the evidence ;)

No way this is 100% legit. Look at the other items for sale by the same seller:

WD 4TB My Book Essential USB 3.0 External Hard Drive 3.5" $39.99 and free shipping

BrandNew Intel Core i5 Processor i5-3470 $49.99 and free shipping

That cpu is over $100 off what anyone else in any store on the planet sells it for, and there is free shipping on top of that. Free international shipping from China too. How is that possible?

Private feedback only? Another red flag.
Then read the feedback. The only feedbacks that mentions anything specific about an item mention a CD. There are 6 to 8 that mention a CD. None mention anything else. No computer parts.

If you buy from this seller you are throwing your money away. When you get a brick in the mail or get nothing ebay or paypal may step in and help you, but that's a big maybe and it will take time for them to "investigate", especially when many people are getting ripped off, as the case will be here.

No way this is 100% legit. Look at the other items for sale by the same seller:

WD 4TB My Book Essential USB 3.0 External Hard Drive 3.5" $39.99 and free shipping

BrandNew Intel Core i5 Processor i5-3470 $49.99 and free shipping

That cpu is over $100 off what anyone else in any store on the planet sells it for, and there is free shipping on top of that. Free international shipping from China too. How is that possible?

Private feedback only? Another red flag.
Then read the feedback. The only feedbacks that mentions anything specific about an item mention a CD. There are 6 to 8 that mention a CD. None mention anything else. No computer parts.

If you buy from this seller you are throwing your money away. When you get a brick in the mail or get nothing ebay or paypal may step in and help you, but that's a big maybe and it will take time for them to "investigate", especially when many people are getting ripped off, as the case will be here.

+1 This guy was selling CD's for more than that hard drive and processor just go to the end of his feedback. Defiantly must be a scam.

Looks like the account got hijacked. I just received an email about an item i tried purchasing and this is part of it:

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]The listing was removed because the item appears to have been listed without the account holder's permission. At this time, we're restoring the account to its original owner. You're no longer obligated to pay for the item. [/FONT]

Back