Where do I go to learn about building a NAS? Basics needed.

ZoNe

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay I'm getting parts tomorrow but reading these forums is like being dumped in Tanzania as an English speaker. don't speak Swahili and I don't speak geek. I understand Raid as I've done Raid 1 for years but that's about it. I'm guessing I want ZFS file system based on propensity of posts here about it which I fail to understand. is their a simple guide somewhere to get me up and running? I don't need the technical details which glaze my eyes over, just need mass secure storage everyone in the house can enjoy.

unraid - www.lime-technology.com

any system parts you want, i'm running an intel celeron 1.8 ghz w/ 2gigs ram and as many sata drives as i want since i bought the license for up to 6 (8) drives (i don't remember which one it is).

as for a guide...

buy a motherboard (anything you want), processor, ram, power supply and case. then pick up some 2tb drives (western digital is my choice and i ran green drives, but some kid here may tell you differently).

get the basic unRaid package and a thumbdrive and go from there. if you need more space, pay the $79 for pro and upgrade some.

best investment ever.

i then use synctoy 2.1 in windows to backup my stuff and its awesome.

hope that helps.

I already got the parts UPS truck just has not showed yet.

Supermicro itx atom mobo
6 F4 drives
Li lian itx case
2GB ram
USB drive

I wanted free not proprietary and everyone seems to like ZFS.

If you want to try out ZFS and you are comfortable diving into OpenSolaris, you should take a look at Gea's post over at servethehome.com:

http://forums.servethehome.com/show...uild-a-OpenSolaris-derived-ZFS-Storage-Server

ZFSguru is another good option:

http://zfsguru.com/doc/quick

I know you already bought your hardware, but you may want to reconsider your mobo and amount of RAM if you decide to go forward with ZFS. ZFS is RAM hungry and people normally recommend a minimum of 4GB, but preferably 8GB for a server like you are building. If, as I suspect, you ordered one of the SuperMicro X7SP family motherboards, then you will be limited to 4GB which may limit your ability to increase your pool size down the road. Also, those boards only have 6 SATA II ports, all of which you will need for your data drives. You can install some ZFS solutions onto a USB key, but I don't think it is the recommended way to set up the OpenSolaris based distros (although, I may be wrong about that).

Another choice you may want to consider is freenas: http://freenas.org/

It runs very well on a USB key, is happy with 2GB RAM, and is mature product. Freenas also has a ZFS component, but I would probably just go with one of the other solutions if you really want to try ZFS. They use more recent versions of ZFS and were created by people that frequent this forum.

I guess my biggest piece of advice would be to tell us a little more about your situation and plans so that we can give you better advice. Don't go with something just because it seems to be popular.

Back