where did all the molex go?

J-Will

[H]ard|Gawd
Alright, I need the power (pun?) of your brains to assist me in finding my PSU, with some fairly odd requirements:

I need a min of 10 molex connectors (this is pretty hard to find), 12 would be ideal
700w - ish range.
quiet (fanless would be great, but a fan with auto throttle control would work)
Either modular, or essentially the bare min connections.
Only need 2 SATA connections, but dont mind 3 or 6 as that seems pretty common.

This is going to power a X9SCL+-F with E3-1245 in a Norco 4220 w/ backplane (why I need to many molex). This chassis accepts ATX, so an expansive server PSU is not needed.

Power efficiency is important, but so is price... so a nice compromise here.

I haven't checked, but if the backplanes are the same as on the Norco 4224, which I have, there are two molex plugs on each backplane. You only need to plug in one of the two for each backplane. There are two plugs for redundant psus, which you aren't using, and plugging in both sets won't give you a benefit.

If you need 6 additional molex connectors in addition to powering up your backplanes then it might be easier to purchase molex adapters/Y splitters.

You could go modular and order extra molex connectors for the the plugs since I am pretty sure most of them use the same 6 pin ports for connecting either sata power or molex (just choosing which and how many).

Also don't fear splitters.

Back