Pathmark?

Waldbaums?

A&P?

Stop N' Shop?

Rite Aide?

Duane Reade?

Walgreens?

Walmart?

Isopropyl Alcohol is just plain rubbing alcohol.

However you probably want something that is > 80% Isopropyl. I'd suggest a good pharmacy for that.

Drug stores. If you want really pure Isopropyl, look at home depot, lowe's, or some comp stores (never been to Future Shop, but I've seen some comp stores selling big bottles of 95% pure or higher Isopropyl alcohol).

Originally posted by Imp
where can I get isopropyl alcohol

Future shop perhaps?

I take it you are removing thermal grease, yes? Any variety/brand of rubbing alcohol ($0.99) will suffice. Walgreens as good as any.

holy shit I just msged one minute ago...and I allready got several answers!! very nice example of good hardforum technical support!!!

thanks guys!

Originally posted by Imp
holy shit I just msged one minute ago...and I allready got several answers!! very nice example of good hardforum technical support!!!

thanks guys!

We are [H]ard. Period.:cool:

:)

It's easier to just go to a hardware store and pick up denatured al-kee-hol. Works better than isopropyl in my experience too.

haha I just went to the shop and got a 70 percent isopropyl alcohol...but I see dat u guys suggested 80 percent or over concentration, is 70 percent ok tho?

sure, you'll just have to use 10% more on the job...:D :D

which reminds me, i have 2 nice juicy bottles at home that i got for 69 cents, and my athlon has been runnin kinda hot lately

....the issue with "rubbing" alcohol is that it more often than not has water and fragrance and / or lanolin in it as well (read the label). Sure, it'll work, but if you use this, you'll want to "dry" the surface off after cleaning it.

You can get small cans of very pure Iso in the paint sections of stores like Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.....

Regards - B.B.S.

The more % the better as BBS says go with stuff that doesn't have "fillers". They will fill the micro pors and retard heat conduction!

Originally posted by BlindedByScience
....the issue with "rubbing" alcohol is that it more often than not has water and fragrance and / or lanolin in it as well (read the label). Sure, it'll work, but if you use this, you'll want to "dry" the surface off after cleaning it.

You can get small cans of very pure Iso in the paint sections of stores like Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.....

Regards - B.B.S.

water/fragrance/lanolin etc. = fillers

but you're good with the 99%..no worries

I got some 91% Isopropyl Alcohol from my local copps food center. Only ingredients are the isopropyl alcohol, and water...later:)

I've got >95% from the lab at work. I just take a vial or two when I need to.
There's GPC grade >99.99% but that's overkill (and too expensive for me to take without feeling guilty)

Originally posted by Imp
Can I apply it on motherboard?

I had no idea what you were talking about, but I saw your other thread. Yes, you can, as long as you let it dry. Which should take only a few seconds, as it evaporates very quickly...later:)

Most drug stores/grocery stores with a semi-pharmacy/full-pharmacy in them, sell isopropyl alcohol in 70% and 99% varieties. Usually not too much price difference between the two, so go for the 99%. It'll dry faster, and leave less behind after it does. With 70%, you'll probably find that you'll have a bit of water left behind, with 99% you shouldn't really.

Originally posted by Imp
Can I apply it on motherboard?
Iso is used industry wide as a GP cleaner during assembly (less so as time goes on but that's another issue). Other than washing off a QC stamp, you probably have no worries......

B.B.S.

Back