• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Where can I get a *silent* pump?

Matrices

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 5, 2003
Messages
5,254
Endless rhetoric about the "quiet" of WCing systems, so where the hell are the QUIET pumps? Every damn pump I hear about produces some noise, like an electric shaver. I want a *silent* one, one I can place in my case on a foam mat to kill vibration and then just not hear, period. Does one exist that doesn't plug into the wall?

I am looking at parts - namely dual 120mm rad, Zalman GPU block, TDX waterblock - but I want a pump that will produce no more noise than that caused by its vibrations AND plugs into a molex.

I seem to recall my Eheim 1250 I briefly tried out a while ago was very quiet, so anything like that quiet among the Laing or DD5 or MCP-655 or whatever the hell they are called, that plug into molex?
 
Laing DDC is silent, DD D5 is silent, Eheim 104X series is silent....
 
DD D5 -12V is the same as the swiftech MCP655.

i'd say that it's quiet, but not silent, you can still kind of hear something, if you try.

the DD DDC 12V is the same as the swiftech MCP350 and is pretty much silent.

that's getting down where most people can't hear it, even if they try.

the eheims are par with the DDC in terms of noise and have an extensive history of being long-lived, quality, aquarium pumps.
 
Thanks guys. Yeah I'm just wary of the smaller MCP 350 because I am going to ultimately run this pump through an Opteron 146 and SLI 7800GTs with a dual 120mm Rad, looking at all 1/2 OD, so worried that small pump won't provide enough throughput.

Reason I'm all obsessed with quiet is because I'll have my 2 120mm fans on rheobus, and the only other fan I want to run is my 120mm CPU fan...so I don't want to hear anything obtrusive over that.
 
The Ehiem 1046 & 1048 are reputably the most quiet pumps available and there are premodded versions that run off 12v from Aqua Computers & Innovatek
 
I've got the Ehiem 1046 and I put foam under mind and you cant hear a thing. It is absolutely dead scilent.

Highly recommended.
 
Matrices said:
Thanks guys. Yeah I'm just wary of the smaller MCP 350 because I am going to ultimately run this pump through an Opteron 146 and SLI 7800GTs with a dual 120mm Rad, looking at all 1/2 OD, so worried that small pump won't provide enough throughput.

Reason I'm all obsessed with quiet is because I'll have my 2 120mm fans on rheobus, and the only other fan I want to run is my 120mm CPU fan...so I don't want to hear anything obtrusive over that.
MCP 350 puts out more head pressure, resulting in better flow through a restrictive system than any of the eheim pumps. you need to use 3/8" tubing with it, however that's not usually costing you any performance as compared to what you are loosing by running slow/quiet fans.
 
Yeah but 3/8 OD tubing? I don't understand how to mix and match this stuff...if my blocks and rad are 1/2 OD then won't it muck things up to use, what, an adapter?

I see highspeedpc.com sells some kind of molex adapter for the Eheim, but it doesn't say if it actually means you don't have to plug it into the wall anymore or that it just lets you turn it off with the computer specifically:

http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Pump

EDIT: I see that does not remove the need to do 12V. There is the modified Eheim with 12V there, but come on, that is absurd, $110 for a pump...the MCP is already too expensive at $80. If and when there is a 12V pump around $50, I will do this.

Because frankly I'm not spending $200+ for a freaking cooling solution. ($80 pump + 30 GPU block + 40 CPU block + 20 res + 30 radiator + whatever else for tubing/clamps).
 
Matrices said:
Yeah but 3/8 OD tubing? I don't understand how to mix and match this stuff...if my blocks and rad are 1/2 OD then won't it muck things up to use, what, an adapter?
not quite. the pump is made to work with 3/8" ID tubing, which fits easily over 3/8" OD hose barbs. what you usually do is replace the barbs on your block, rad, and res so that they can accept 3/8" tubing natively. the barbs just thread in and out of the block or rad. you can often order the parts you want fitted with either 3/8" OD barbs, or 1/2" OD barbs, if you don't feel like replacing the barbs once you have the equipment in-hand.

just by the by, the swiftech MCW6000 is a better waterblock for use with a quiet pump like the MCP350 or any of the eheims than the TDX is. that zlaman GPU block that you want to use isn't goin to play nice with either swiftech or dangerden equipment. it is made to run with bitty little 1/4" tubing, which is too small to run in combination with most of the domestics.

watercooling tends to be expensive. it would be a really good idea to have $200 put aside, or just stick with air. you can do cheap watercooling, but that means no nice 12 V pump for you.

head on over and read up in the watercooling forum to read up on the subject if you don't believe me, and make any future posts on the subject of watercooling over there.
 
If your looking for incredibly silence and performance. Look into a DDC 12V.

Thats only incredibly silence right there, it lacks performance though. However, if you do the 1/2" barb mod, you can pull out some serious numbers out of it and still retain its silentness. That, and the mod itself is INCREDIBLY easy.
 
TehRoflcopter said:
If your looking for incredibly silence and performance. Look into a DDC 12V.
which is another name for the MCP350.

they are both re-brands of the laing DDC pump, called different names by DD and swiffy.
 
"watercooling tends to be expensive. it would be a really good idea to have $200 put aside, or just stick with air. you can do cheap watercooling, but that means no nice 12 V pump for you."

Thanks for all the help. Maybe another time, I guess...I'd rather stick with my XP120 and rheobus, and 92mm fan slapped on a 7800 GT, for quiet, and save the $200 to go SLI rather than do watercooling. Maybe when I have more disposable income and I see a good FS deal in the forums that includes a GPU block I'll try this out.
 
Matrices said:
"watercooling tends to be expensive. it would be a really good idea to have $200 put aside, or just stick with air. you can do cheap watercooling, but that means no nice 12 V pump for you."

Thanks for all the help. Maybe another time, I guess...I'd rather stick with my XP120 and rheobus, and 92mm fan slapped on a 7800 GT, for quiet, and save the $200 to go SLI rather than do watercooling. Maybe when I have more disposable income and I see a good FS deal in the forums that includes a GPU block I'll try this out.
ah well. the XP 120 is an amazing heatsink, and it takes some pretty high end watercooling gear to get better temps than that is going to give you, with less noise.

you can porbably do something good for around $150 US, however it depends on what comprimises you are willing to make and where you are willing to make them.
 
Back
Top