• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Where can I get 1/2" fitting valve?

Vlad_13

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jun 22, 2006
Messages
1,830
Here is my delema.
I'm planing to build my dream PC (which is in my sig) water cooled and everything.

I have:
1 MCP655
1 Black Ice GT Stealth 240
1 Tanky - Single 5 1/4" Bay Reservoir
1 Danger Den Copper TDX Block for Intel 775 (version 2)
1 Danger Den MAZE4 Chipset Block for AMD and Intel
1 Danger Den ATI-X18 Ultimate Full Coverage Water Block
1 Danger Den Low Profile Acetal MAZE4 GPU

What I want to do is to split the flow from radiator in 2, one goes to CPU>Chipset and other goes to GPU>PPU and than back together back to the reservoir>pump>radiator.

But......there is one thing, the TDX is very tight on the flow because of the design, as much friction as posible. I know you will tell me to get the nozels but its not what I want. Thing is when I split the flow in two, #1CPU>Chipset and #2 GPU>PPU the #2 will have more flow than #1 (cuz of the TDX friction)
What I want is to get a 1/2" valve and put it on the begining of the #2 and close it up a little just that the presure of the both will be the same.

I searched 3 websites, frozencpu.com, performance-PCs.com and dangerden.com, none of the have those valves. I'm looking for somethink like >this< but1/2" not the screw thingee.
If you guys saw those somewhere pls post a link, that would be greatly apretiated.

Oh yeah, what you think about my setup :p
Also here are some pics of my Antec P180
Like it? :)
 
The Swiftech MCR220 has tested better than the new GTS240 and is in the same price range if not cheaper.

If you want to simply increase the resistance in your GPU/PPU loop you could get the Cooltechnica MP-01 GPU block for the PPU. It performs as well as (or better than) the Maze4 and are higher restriction.

I am not going to try and talk you out of splitting the flow, but just want to make sure you understand that each component has a negligible impact on the temperature of the water. So you dont gain much benefit from splitting the flow...you most likely do more harm than good although it can be hard to tell sometimes.

As for the valve, any home improvement store has them. Go to the plumbing section and look for ball valves. You can get them in PVC or brass in sizes ranging from very small up to 2-3"
 
From the research I have read (which makes sense) that the water as most things in life will take the path of least resistance. So the more restrictive block will get less flow. JMO

I too would go with the Swiftech rad.
 
SiGfever said:
From the research I have read (which makes sense) that the water as most things in life will take the path of least resistance. So the more restrictive block will get less flow. JMO

I too would go with the Swiftech rad.

You are exactly correct which is why the OP wants a valve to put in the loop with the least resistance. That way he has some control over the flow so he can make it more even. That is why I also suggested a more restrictive block in the secondary loop as an alternative as well.
 
Guys, problem is I already have those blocks and radiator, and I dont want to buy something else...

Didn't thought of the home improvement stores, gona go to homedepo and look for one.

Thnx :)
 
Erasmus354 said:
So you dont gain much benefit from splitting the flow...you most likely do more harm than good although it can be hard to tell sometimes.

If you have time, could you explain pls?
 
Vlad_13 said:
If you have time, could you explain pls?

You are definitely doing more harm than good. You are adding unnecessary restriction with that valve you are planning on adding, and by splitting flow you are decreasing flow rate to the two branches. While your loop is somewhat restrictive i highly doubt you will benefit from splitting the flow. Your chipset/gpu/ppu do not need as high flow rate, but your cpu does. Just put the entire loop in series.
 
Ok here is the explanation as simply as I can put it.

The performance of a waterblock relies upon a few things. Chiefly the speed of the waterflow, and the turbulence. The objective of a waterblock is to move heat from the processor to the water. As you increase the flow and/or turbulence of the water the waterblock becomes more efficient at doing its job.


The main reason why people think splitting the flow is good is because they have the notion that the water at the end of the loop is very hot, and if you split it then all components get cool water. To a degree this is correct. However, water has an incredible ability to absorb heat energy without increasing its own temperature. In your loop with all 4 waterblocks you are looking at a 1-2C increase in coolant temperature from beginning to end....not nearly as high as some people think it might be. This small increase is in part because water can absorb a lot of energy, but also because the water is moving very quickly through the loop.


The biggest disadvantage to splitting the flow is that...well you have split the flow. So to each branch of the loop you are effectively halving the flow they recieve. Since waterblocks perform less efficient at lower flow rates...while the water may be 1C cooler, the flow is much less which often times will counteract having cooler water.

The reason why parallel vs. series loops can be hard to debate however is that while a series loop each component gets the same flow, there is much more restriction. So a parallel loop (your configuration) has less resistance, and greater total flow (which is then cut in half to each loop).

When everything is said and done, I think you will see just about the same temperatures from simply plumbing everything in series (CPU>GPU>NB>PPU or whatever) as you will from splitting the flow. So it is up to you whether or not you want to try and go through the hassle of messing with a valve. If it is something you want to do...go for it, have fun, experiment and do let us know your results!
 
Thnx for all of your posts, but I'm still looking for the valve, homedepot got none only big ones. :(
 
Back
Top