Where can I buy E8400

Scotch77

Gawd
I cant find a reputable seller at a reputable price that still has them in stock. I already ordered the rest of my pc. so where can I get one.

I checked all the ones I normally go to and found nothing. I checked ebay and there is really not much of a selection. There was a buy it now for 270 dollars. The best advice that I can give you is to go to 3-5 sites and have them auto notify you when they get it back in. I'm happy I got mine 2 weeks ago for 210 bucks from ebay.

They're in stock at Microcenter B&M -- not sure about online (says 5-7 days shipping).

go to a microcenter right now and buy one.
ordering one online right now is going to be more expensive and it's going to feel like a #$&@! waiting for it to come in the mail. (waiting for mine to come in the mail and it feels like a @$&!*)

we don't have microcenters around me, I actually have never heard of the place before.

I am just going with the Q6600

we don't have microcenters around me, I actually have never heard of the place before.

I am just going with the Q6600

Thats too bad, seeing as how I just picked up 4 Q6600's for $200 each. Know anyone who lives near one? :p

you could go with the xeon 3110, in stock all over and it's the same chip. just check beforehand whether your motherboard will support it (chances are if it supports e8400, itll support it)

I'm having a hard time finding the Xeon 3110 anywhere online either. Out of stock most places. At the places it's in stock, it still costs just as much as some places are asking for the e8400. I figure I'm in no super hurry to buy anything. If a good deal on either comes first, I'll buy whichever one it is. If the e8400s come in stock first, I'll buy one of those.

Buy.com has one listed as a 771 socket, which is impossible. Another user purchased and sure enough it was a 775 (as it must be).

As the guy above stated, the Xeon 3110 ONLY comes in LGA775. I think it is in stock at lagoom.com as well if you don't want to risk buy.com.

Buy.com has one listed as a 771 socket, which is impossible. Another user purchased and sure enough it was a 775 (as it must be).

As the guy above stated, the Xeon 3110 ONLY comes in LGA775. I think it is in stock at lagoom.com as well if you don't want to risk buy.com.

I've personally never heard of lagoom or techmicrocenter.... Are they good people?

Should I get a e8400 or a q6600. I'm hearing such great thing about the e8400 as a good OC but they are hard to get.Should I hold out a week and try to get one or go for the q6600?

Should I get a e8400 or a q6600. I'm hearing such great thing about the e8400 as a good OC but they are hard to get.Should I hold out a week and try to get one or go for the q6600?

I've been mulling over that decision myself. e8400 definitely has sex appeal factor, but I think I'll go for q6600 since e8400 is just so damn hard to find for good price and I do quite a bit of video editing/encoding. But then I just might wait it out a bit longer.I imagine q6600 price will go quite a bit once 45mm quads come out, so e8400 might be better 'investment' from pure dollar sense point of view.

Anyone know of a company that can ship to an FPO address? I have all the parts for a new computer, but the processor, and can't find one from someone that will ship it to me.... One of the reasons I use Newegg so much is that they are one of the few that will actually ship to military overseas.

Tankguys has em for 229. (E3110)

That's where I ended up buying one. But they are 224.99 now. 20-30 bux more than I wanted to pay...but enh...
I'm sure e8400s will flood the market and be selling for 150 bux next week since I just bought this one. Oh well......
Now then...can anyone recommend a good air cooler for this?
I don't plan to overclock right away, but I do want to leave that open as an option. And I want to run it cool anyway. I don't think I'm going to NEED to overclock right away though. Coming from an x2 4400 with 2gb ddr ram going to this wolfdale proc and 4gb 1066 ddr2, I think I'm going to notice plenty of difference for my liking...

I've been mulling over that decision myself. e8400 definitely has sex appeal factor, but I think I'll go for q6600 since e8400 is just so damn hard to find for good price and I do quite a bit of video editing/encoding. But then I just might wait it out a bit longer.I imagine q6600 price will go quite a bit once 45mm quads come out, so e8400 might be better 'investment' from pure dollar sense point of view.

It really does XD just saying you have a 45nm wolfdale makes one feel all warm and fuzzy but if im correct a q6600 will perform a bit faster since it is a "quad". I'm mostly gonna be gaming and using photoshop which is threaded, so a e8400 with an oc to like 3.6 would be about the same as a q6600 with a mid oc? This will be my first ever intel cpu so still testing the waters...

Can anyone confirm/disprove what I said?

Also instock at Tankguys at the time of this posting. The e8400 and e3110. 259.99 for e8400 and 224.99 for e3110...go figure..

Glad I bit when they were around $220. Whats up with these procs being so high above MSRP?

supply and demand.

i got 2 today and paid 209.00 apiece for them.

also, Hito, you have a PM.

cheers,

dave

You mean you received them in the mail today and you paid 209 for them or you paid 209 for them today? And if so..like...where?

It really does XD just saying you have a 45nm wolfdale makes one feel all warm and fuzzy but if im correct a q6600 will perform a bit faster since it is a "quad". I'm mostly gonna be gaming and using photoshop which is threaded, so a e8400 with an oc to like 3.6 would be about the same as a q6600 with a mid oc? This will be my first ever intel cpu so still testing the waters...

Assuming that you can oc e8400 higher than q6600, it will be faster in most things even in Photoshop unless your doing something heavy with 24bit files and such. I don't think there are too many everyday task that takes advantage of quad core actually. Video encoding is one of the few that I know, and that's why I'm leaning toward it. That and I refuse to pay over msrp for e8400.

You mean you received them in the mail today and you paid 209 for them or you paid 209 for them today? And if so..like...where?

i received them today in a box and paid 209.00 per processor.

1 of them is actually up and running on a Formula/SE right now.

they're a pain in the ass to get ahold of.

cheers,

dave

$209 plus about $8 or so in shipping.

The e3110 is basically the same chip as the e8400,
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1276003&highlight=e3110 :D

I posted this at another forum yesterday:

You will need to pick up a separate heatsink/fan for the chip, but exaliberpc has the E3110 for $209 plus about $8 or so in shipping depending on where you live. Just ordered one from them earlier today and was notified this afternoon that it shipped.

http://www.excaliberpc.com/parts.asp?stxt=e3110&x=28&y=8

Lagoom.com has the e3110 cheaper, $198.54, with shipping about the same, but they charged tax to me in NJ so Excaliberpc had it a total a few dollars cheaper. Excaliberpc also had better reseller ratings at resellerratings.com

http://www.lagoom.com/INTEL_CP...artinfo-id-579903.html (edit - does not have it today!)

Don't bother with TechMicro - they claim they have it but don't. Found out after sending them paypal funds.

For retail boxed chip with Intel heatsink and fan, this place, Kaanaz, has the e3110 for $ 229.42 plus shipping and perhaps tax depending on where you live.
http://kaanza.com/Search.asp?frmMode=SimpleSearch&smode=basic&keyword=e3110

Hope this helps. :)

On typical PS benchmarks, a quad core CPU is about 10% faster than a dual core running at the same speed. PS is written to only use two cores. I don't think any games make effective use of more than 2 cores. Applications have to written to use multiple cores and the task has to be able to be split up to run on separate cores. Video rendering is a natural application for quad cores, since each frame can be rendered on a different core.

An E8400 can be clocked much higher than a Q6600 with very little effort. Until Adobe completely rewrites PS it will run faster on a E8400.

Back