Where are the VR power gloves?

tybert7

2[H]4U
People keep talking about the virtues of 3d controllers, but isn't that a sideshow?

Isn't what we all really want a modern version of this?

image00.jpg

Ideally I'd want some sort of futuristic material that could stiffen and act as a virtual wall when you tried to interact with an object, we just need a material that has its own momentum and can choose when to halt its own motion or give resistance in freespace. Insane? Impossible? Sure, but that is no excuse to come up with approximations or try to get a similar effect.

This is the next generation in 3D controller, its true. And like the OP describes, it would be nice to have those haptics. It isn't really impossible - just expensive. There are plenty of materials that when you run a microcurrent through them, change form in some way - becoming rigid or pliable etc. All the new 3D controllers for existing headsets are neat, but with the exception of things like MagicLeap - where the VR is actually present in your "normal" visual reality as an overlay, we'll need more realistic ways to interact with the game worlds. We're just at the beginning of VR interaction with say, HTC Vive controllers or WiiMotes. Being able to have full, 5 fiinger interaction with the game world (ie you need to actually shape your hand to grasp a lever to open a door, or pick up and hold a gun) is the next step. This requires those kinds of gloves.

Allowing said gloves to give us resistance through microcurrent, giving you an approximation of a pool cue or a torch in your hand, 1 to 1 motion with a quarterstaff and more. That's the next objective.

I wonder what ever happen with this. Control VR. Still not to sure about that contraption vest you have to wear.
Control VR was also a kickstarter project.
Control VR- The Future of Virtual Reality, Animation & more

Control VR was a giant scam. While they had a working prototype, they ripped off 600+ dollars from tons of people on kickstarter, and never delivered a single thing to them. Now everyone associated with the company hides.

There is a real product out there called the magnus glove: Manus VR - The virtual reality dataglove for consumers.

I wonder what ever happen with this. Control VR. Still not to sure about that contraption vest you have to wear.
Control VR was also a kickstarter project.
Control VR- The Future of Virtual Reality, Animation & more

As cool as this looks I highly doubt this will ever have a practical application especially in games. Using the Vive, teleportation and movement is still a work-in-progress as far as what is the best way to do it. Teleportation is the best way to avoid motion sickness, and walking regular is very nauseating. These gloves have no input so how would you reload, how would you use, jump, go through menus? That's the problem with gloves. As much as I would love some haptic feedback gloves for some extra presence in VR I don't think it's practical let-alone useful for anything other than picking up and touching things in a virtual world. There are too many variables beyond just touching and picking things up in games that we need to be able to do.

Buying a Leap Motion with the Vive (like below) is the only practical application for this, but it's also entirely aesthetic. There is no actual use for this as of yet, but hopefully maybe there would in the future be a way to switch between touch controllers like the Vive controllers or the Rift Touch controllers and some true hand-tracked device.

Back