Where are the 2550k's?

I thought they were supposed to be available by now?

Despte that, the i5-2550K is actually less desirable than the i5-2500K: Much of the new i5's have no integrated IGP capability (or rather, the IGP is permanently disabled at manufacturing level). That means that a Z68 board with a video-out would then become wasted since the 2550K cannot use QuickSync or Lucid Virtu at all. The 2550K will also render all Z68 mobos as little more than P67 mobos with SSD caching slapped on.

Despte that, the i5-2550K is actually less desirable than the i5-2500K: Much of the new i5's have no integrated IGP capability (or rather, the IGP is permanently disabled at manufacturing level). That means that a Z68 board with a video-out would then become wasted since the 2550K cannot use QuickSync or Lucid Virtu at all. The 2550K will also render all Z68 mobos as little more than P67 mobos with SSD caching slapped on.

There are many people don't use IGPs however, and never intend to.

to me the 2550K seems like an excuse for intel to offload some chips where neither the IGP or the ECC support works properly.

True. However, such chips will also completely negate most of the "worthwhile" features that make the Z68 chipset the way it is. In fact, if you're not going to use a very small SSD for SRT caching, you might as well go with a P67 or P61 chipset (which cannot use the IGP at all even if the CPU has it) for these CPUs.

These processors were released last week for our distributors to order. As of this morning none are showing up in stock at any of the distributors. I would expect another week or two before some show up at any of the online resellers.

These processors were released last week for our distributors to order. As of this morning none are showing up in stock at any of the distributors. I would expect another week or two before some show up at any of the online resellers.

Intel do you know when Newegg 600 3930 order might be recieved?

umm IntelEnthusiast? Can you tell us if the Ivy 3770Ks are still on track for an April 8th release?;)

sorry, I know this thread has a different subject, but I have never seen an Intel rep at HardForum before.

True but the 2550k just being a 2500k with disabled igp and a higher default multi means it's probably not going to oc much if any better.

It's really just a way for intel to sell cpus with faulty igps for full price.

umm IntelEnthusiast? Can you tell us if the Ivy 3770Ks are still on track for an April 8th release?;)

sorry, I know this thread has a different subject, but I have never seen an Intel rep at HardForum before.

If he had the permission to tell us, there would be an official announcement already.

Microcenter has the i5 2550K in stock. But aren't the 2550K's just 2500K's that had malfunctioning IGP's so they just disabled them and added 100MHz ? Why would anyone want to buy an essentially crippled 2500K ?

Last edited:
Hopefully it drives down demand for the 2500K and prices drop :)

It might not. As someone else noted, it is a way for Intel to continue to milk its customers with premium pricing for a CPU that has certain portions of it disabled due to defects. That's why I deemed that CPU as one of the less desirable ones at its estimated street price.

The same people that would pay a premium for a 2500 will now buy the "better" 2550 thus reducing demand. It is unlikely that they are reducing production of the 2500, so in essence they are creating more from less.

Quicksync is nice but its not the end all. I used it for a bit on my 2600K before I sold it, then my 2500K before I sold it. My 3930K has been producing high quality results, which I noticed now that quicksync did not as much, and it takes an inch longer than before with the 6 core software conversions. I do not think the IGP is useful at all unless you are going to run uber low power HTPC or want QSync. I'd say go for it if you plan to exclusively use add in GPU cards.

Back