Where are printer drives stored in Windows XP pro?

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
Ok, heres my scenario, its wacky...

I have a printer that NEEDS to have the HP laserjet 8150 driver that comes standard with windows XP installed. Don't ask me why, but thats the ONLY driver that works well with this printer, all other one work extremely slowly.

I can't get the 8150 driver off of HP's site, no luck. I've tried other drivers, all are bad.

The 2 machines that need to use the printer just happen to have something funky happen with the 8150 drivers. I have no idea why, but when I try to use that driver, After clicking "Ok" in the printer settings dialogue box, it says "The Laserjet 8150 print driver is not installed, would you like to install it now?" then a Yes/No option. If I choose yes, it copies the files again, as if its re-installing the driver. Then if I try to use the printer, or go into the printer properties, I get the same error message as above.

Just my luck right?

This works on my PC though, I don't get the error messages. So I decided if I could find the files on my PC for this printer driver, I could bring them on a CD or floppy over to the computers that need it, and can do the "have disk" thing. I just don't know where the driver files are stored. I have the printer installed on my machine, so either the source of the driver files, or wherever they are copied to when you install the printer, doesn't matter. Just as long as I can get those files.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

They're probably in the inf directory in the Windows folder. Are you sure it's not a networking or settings issue on the printer? We have quite a few of them, using the latest drivers from our website, using Direct IP printing without issue.

Yea, I tried a lot of things, I'm 80% sure its the printer driver. Let me check that out, thanks!

Back