Where are my NVIDIA Drivers for Vista?

@TheRapture

I do not think forcing your own personal opinion is the way to go on this one. Its a frigging Forum and I have never in my life seen Word Force to do the trick on public discussion area. I do think people have right to vent about this issue, no matter how irritating it may seem to some of us with greater knowledge on computers. The sad fact is that 99.9 of people out there are complete idiots whe it comes to computers and if you cannot take all this "moaning" I suggest you stop reading this thread :)

Anyways about the issue in hand. I was very much going to get a 8800GTS in coming months but now I hesitate. By reading multiple forums, in my mind 8800 drivers for XP are not yet up to my prefered standard, so I decided to wait for awhile. I just have a bad feeling that all this Vista Mumbo Jumbo is going to take ALL Nvidias attention and XP support is going to lag behind. I seriously hope Iam wrong about this one.

I think returning your video card to newegg based on the fact that it doesn't work with the O/S you wish to use it with is irresponsible.

I think you must be from nVidia! Let me tell you, I am a customer of yours.

I think selling a card that is marketed as Vista ready and not have certified drivers like ATI is irresponsible. All the hype that this was the card to get for vista because it was DX10 and fast is just wrong. Not until everyone started buying Vista and the card did we learn the truth. The article on the front page if this website was not there a week ago when I bought it. I checked! I bought because this site said it rocked.

Newegg sells a ATI 1900 for $169. A great card for a few months to see which company actually can deliver stability and speed this summer.

To all of those who say their 8800 GTX works with 100.59, thanks for not sharing your settings. Building a PC is easy. There are less than 20 settings on the card control panel and only 2-3 in the 680i bios setting. So which one works? for me, turning everything off and running all setting as conservative as possible leads to driver failures when you move a window.

Swap the card out with a ATI X850 PCI and it runs without an issue. But that card can't drive a 30 inch monitor and of course I want the best that works.

Come on nVidia shill, instead of telling me I am irresponsible, tell us all when the next driver is going to be released. Put a statement on your website telling us the issue and game plan. Come On

My last 3 cards have all been nvidia. However, after being outright lied to by the nvidia PR machine, my 8800 is headed for a dreary life of Sims 2 on my wifes computer the moment ATI releases their new cards. If I could, I would send my card back to newegg but I'm well past the 30 days now (I wonder if newegg would let me send it back because the card doesn't do as it is advertised to do? hrmmm gonna have to make a phone call I think)

You nvidia !!!!!!s can go ahead and put whatever "spin" you want on it but the fact of the matter is, nvidia has outrighted lied about their "vista ready" lineup. ATI is getting my money as soon as their new lineup is out.

My last 3 cards have all been nvidia. However, after being outright lied to by the nvidia PR machine, my 8800 is headed for a dreary life of Sims 2 on my wifes computer the moment ATI releases their new cards. If I could, I would send my card back to newegg but I'm well past the 30 days now (I wonder if newegg would let me send it back because the card doesn't do as it is advertised to do? hrmmm gonna have to make a phone call I think)

You nvidia !!!!!!s can go ahead and put whatever "spin" you want on it but the fact of the matter is, nvidia has outrighted lied about their "vista ready" lineup. ATI is getting my money as soon as their new lineup is out.

I can understand outrage, believe me I can, but this type of thinking just seems "extreme" from my point of view.

What if the ATI card isn't faster? What if the drivers for it totally suck ass? It will be a new unified architecture as well, so you have no idea what their drivers will be like. Usually ATI is worse than NVIDIA in the driver department. I've got little faith that they'll do better with R600. Or even if they do, I'd bet that NVIDIA will have their drivers taken care of by the time R600 is released.

Considering all your variables seems wiser than tossing a card simply because your angry. Frankly, while the Vista drivers do need to be improved, is it all that IMPORTANT to run Vista right this minute? I've got two copies of Vista on the way, but I am not going to blow a fuse if and when I have to revert back to XP for a month or so while this gets straightened out.

I can understand outrage, believe me I can, but this type of thinking just seems "extreme" from my point of view.

What if the ATI card isn't faster? What if the drivers for it totally suck ass? It will be a new unified architecture as well, so you have no idea what their drivers will be like. Usually ATI is worse than NVIDIA in the driver department. I've got little faith that they'll do better with R600. Or even if they do, I'd bet that NVIDIA will have their drivers taken care of by the time R600 is released.

Considering all your variables seems wiser than tossing a card simply because your angry. Frankly, while the Vista drivers do need to be improved, is it all that IMPORTANT to run Vista right this minute? I've got two copies of Vista on the way, but I am not going to blow a fuse if and when I have to revert back to XP for a month or so while this gets straightened out.

Actually the fact is that Nvidia had an opertunity to take most of the market share by demonstrating that they had better drivers, product and support, people would of spent the money on an 8800gts/x for the best exp of vista(also i suspect why the mid range has not been released) . heck i was about to dump over 800 bucks Australian on a card of theirs but now wont, simple their drivers suck, the card doesnt work as advertised so now i will wait.

Nvidia for the first time in a few months blew it. plain and simple, utterly blew it. They have had months to play with and improve there drivers on the older cards, even if vista was rc1/2 it doesnt matter they had the chance and didnt use it. they have had an rtm copy for close to 2 months now and yet the driver is terrible. (yes i got ati in my sig, but i also own 2 nvidias too).

If Nvidia had spent the time on getting it too work, and informed people, they would of powned ati thru and thru. yet they didnt, as for ati, even their driver needs a lot of work, tho from what i have exp and read, atis is more stable , but they still have a beta feel to it. i suspect that is why the r600 was delayed, not for want of defects, but driver. i suspect that in a month or so... maybe a bit more .. they will release windows vista ready cards (32bit and 64bit) and their driver will leap forward. as for the unified arch well they have been making those for some time now.. oh another few reasons i suspect they have delayed the launch of the r600 is a complete line up not ready, the xbox360 productions of graphics chips, they want to do a hard launch (nvidia been doing this for awhile, if i remember right it was the launch of the 7000 series - it too was delayed....) and i susepct the biggest of them all is the amd aqusition of ati.

Boy, I guess people have wildly different expectations. Complex products always have problems out of the gate. Early adopters know (or should) this. My sound card has beta drivers, I hear that I shouldn't connect my iPod before an update is released and I'll need to fork out for a Nero update if I want to continue burning CDs/DVDs. Standard stuff for a new OS. This thread covers a case where you've got a new GPU architecture, new OS, new graphics framework. It's practically a perfect storm of complexity.

Heck, I assume that with Vista, apps I need won't work and some hardware may not be supported right away or ever. As for nVidia's "Vista Ready", I take that to mean the hardware will support the new desktop graphics and DX10. I don't take it to mean anything with respect to the day Vista is released, but I would expect that within a few months, the drivers will be solid.

As it is, I have an X800, which replaced a 9700, so I have no reason to stick up for nVidia. Of course, I'll be watching closely before buying my next card, to see who's getting things done. I plan on messing with Vista for months before even thinking about using as my "production" OS.

I am amazed at this ridiculousness. I just spent a small fortune for this system and it screams in XP.

I was just about ready to go out and get a copy of Vista 64 since I have a 64 bit Quad CPU, now I'm not sure what to do.

DC:rolleyes:

Boy, I guess people have wildly different expectations. Complex products always have problems out of the gate. Early adopters know (or should) this. My sound card has beta drivers, I hear that I shouldn't connect my iPod before an update is released and I'll need to fork out for a Nero update if I want to continue burning CDs/DVDs. Standard stuff for a new OS. This thread covers a case where you've got a new GPU architecture, new OS, new graphics framework. It's practically a perfect storm of complexity..

Did your sound card come in a box that said "Vista Ready"? How about your iPod?

Does your sound card's website proclaim "This Product: Essential for the Best Windows Vista Experience"?

If no, then the point is made; neither your sound card vendor, nor Apple promised that their product would be Vista-ready at the time the OS was released.

What a company markets (thereby promising it to consumers) is what they should deliver on. If they fail to deliver what they promise at the time they're promising it, they should be held accountable for it. It's that simple. If you don't want to hold them accountable, fine, but I don't believe you nor anyone else has the right to come down on people who expect a company to deliver what it not only says it's going to deliver, but is currently saying on its website that it already IS delivering, when it currently is not by anyone's reasonable definition.

This sucks...

I just bought two 8800GTX cards.

I bought a new case.

I bought a new motherboard.

I bought a new power supply.

I bought Vista.

I was getting really jazzed up about the eye candy in Vista. I'd been running the MSDN version for a bit and liked what I saw. Now this...

Nvidia, this is really, really irritating and I've lost a lot of respect for your products. If it wasn't for the fact that I only paid $479 for those 8800GTX cards (open-box from Newegg), I would be sending them back ASAP. You guys suck!

It's funny how everyone is jumping on NVIDIA for the whole "Essential to Vista" ad on their website. Why do you think NVIDIA put that up there? Because they're arrogant and they're out to screw you? No, it's because of this:

"NVIDIA solutions offer users the performance and stability necessary to help ensure an outstanding Windows Vista Experience." - Mike Stewart, Corporate VP, Windows Client Marketing

Obviously, Mr. Stewart had no problems with NVIDIA proclaiming themselves "Essential to Vista". What's even funnier is that all you ppl hating on NVIDIA haven't said a damn thing about ATI:

"ATI – The Graphics Power in My Windows Vista™ Capable PC

Dedicated ATI graphics processors (GPU) give you the ultimate visual experience on Windows Vista™ Capable PCs. "

http://ati.amd.com/technology/windowsvista/Consumers.html

That's right, I forgot, NVIDIA's the only one having problems, right? More BS if you ask me.

:mad:
What a bunch of drama. Could you put a few more tears in your article please?

Without question, nvidia needs to (and eventually will) come out with a fully-featured WHQL driver for Vista x86 and x64. I think we can all agree there.

While I do not yet have a copy of Vista, I do own an 8800GTS. I do not upgrade very often (once every 2-3 years), so when I do, I try to buy into the future a little bit... which especially made sense to me with something like a DirectX release. Once things get ironed out (be it drivers or software), I will also run vista so I can take advantage of my DX10 capable hardware.

But am I really missing out on anything today?? Not really. Sure, with all the excitement and buzz about the new OS, it intrigues me. I want to be a part of the action, and I know that eventually I will. I ask myself this: What would DX10 gain me today? AFAIK, there are no DX10 games available or anything to take advantage of the technology today. Ok, that will someday change, but I expect nvidia to continue working on their drivers in the meantime.

Reading your editorial is like racing to a red light... a big hurry to get nowhere. Now if you were actually deprived of some experience, I would be in agreement, but from what I have read, the 100.59 drivers can satisfy most of today's needs. It supports SLI for the G80's, DX10 for single cards, and gaming performance is getting close to Windows XP. It's just a matter of time until nvidia gets it right and I would expect DX10 SLI support in time for you to ever need it.

WHQL will be nice someday, but I would guess that doesn't bother the majority here. I am more interested in a stable product that works. Add in the DX10 SLI, ensure stability, and I am happy as a lark. All in due time. Until then, I challenge you to explain exactly how you are deprived. Your article makes it sound like nvidia has crossed you wrong or really done everybody some sort of injustice. Wares get delayed sometime, lets just hope they are still getting it right.

Vista 64+86 Drivers what the heck what about 32 bit vista sufferes remember us.I have always been a Nvidia custumer since G-Force2 and they should of been more then ready for this release.major DISSAPOINTMENT :mad:

Number one, this should teach people not to jump the gun when buying hardware. Especially when we are not only talking about brand new hardware, but an entirely new OS, w/new standards, as well.

Nvidia should never have released the 8800 series w/o a working driver for it. It seems to me that ATI, though late, probably will having a working Vista product at around the same time that Nvidia finally gets their 8800 series working. Maybe it shows that ATI is a lot more careful than Nvidia is.

As things stand, I wouldn't be surprised that by the time Nvidia gets "everything" working w/the 8800, their next product line, the (8900?), will be coming out. So what did you 8800 owners really get for your money?

Besides all this, when do people seem to expect to see any, fully supported, DirectX 10 games? The game writers will have to learn how to write games that utilize DX10. I suspect it'll happen little by little, and not in one large punch, w/all the bells and whisles running. Have we really seen any games that really utilize physics yet?

Number one, this should teach people not to jump the gun when buying hardware.

Honestly, is that what people should be learning? To expect something to fail upon purchase? I think there's something seriously wrong if buying a product when it comes out is considered foolish. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but it's nice to buy a product and then have it work.

I dunno how many times we've answered this in the OS forum...NON-WHQL DRIVERS STILL WORK FOR X64!!!!! I dunno where ppl heard they didn't work. You still get the same old "Are you sure you really want to install this driver" box. As soon as I got to that point in that article I stopped reading lol. I was like OMG!!!!

Yeah it sucks the good drivers aren't out yet. Guess we just have to say don't upgrade just yet. There are no DX10 games to speak of that are out yet. So just hold off. For those of you that have and did a fresh format...guess you should put XP back on or use it in dual boot for the time being.

Maybe you should have continued reading because it says that despite the warning box and agreeing to it, the drivers did not install.

Number one, this should teach people not to jump the gun when buying hardware. Especially when we are not only talking about brand new hardware, but an entirely new OS, w/new standards, as well.

Nvidia should never have released the 8800 series w/o a working driver for it. It seems to me that ATI, though late, probably will having a working Vista product at around the same time that Nvidia finally gets their 8800 series working. Maybe it shows that ATI is a lot more careful than Nvidia is.

As things stand, I wouldn't be surprised that by the time Nvidia gets "everything" working w/the 8800, their next product line, the (8900?), will be coming out. So what did you 8800 owners really get for your money?

Besides all this, when do people seem to expect to see any, fully supported, DirectX 10 games? The game writers will have to learn how to write games that utilize DX10. I suspect it'll happen little by little, and not in one large punch, w/all the bells and whisles running. Have we really seen any games that really utilize physics yet?

What did we get for our money? Let's see.. Ugly buggy .Net drivers. Relatively fast XP performance. Who cares for Vista? Not me. It's the Windows ME second edition.

It's funny how everyone is jumping on NVIDIA for the whole "Essential to Vista" ad on their website. Why do you think NVIDIA put that up there? Because they're arrogant and they're out to screw you? No, it's because of this:

"NVIDIA solutions offer users the performance and stability necessary to help ensure an outstanding Windows Vista Experience." - Mike Stewart, Corporate VP, Windows Client Marketing

Obviously, Mr. Stewart had no problems with NVIDIA proclaiming themselves "Essential to Vista". What's even funnier is that all you ppl hating on NVIDIA haven't said a damn thing about ATI:

"ATI – The Graphics Power in My Windows Vista™ Capable PC

Dedicated ATI graphics processors (GPU) give you the ultimate visual experience on Windows Vista™ Capable PCs. "

http://ati.amd.com/technology/windowsvista/Consumers.html

That's right, I forgot, NVIDIA's the only one having problems, right? More BS if you ask me.

Where are the problems with ATI, as it seems that the drivers work? I certainly haven't had any problems with crossfire.

The more I read about this situation the more hilarious it's becoming.

Anyone thats relying on marketing BS to help make their purchasing choices is clearly naive, I hope this serves as a good lesson to some of you. So in a good few years down the line you're smart enough not to buy a brand new OS and expect fantastic driver support.

You'll probably be in my position at that point, leaning back in your chair having a good giggle at those ranting and raving on the forums about how they're going to sue Nvidia over their lies and how they'll never go back to Nvidia hardware.

:')

expect fantastic driver support.

I agree that it has become almost the norm for driver support to be very poor towards the introduction of a new OS (and all the people claiming "class action lawsuit" irritate me), but lets be honest: this isn't just a 5% performance decrease. Significant features are missing; it's like buying a brand new car and finding out that you don't have fifth or sixth gear because they're still trying to work out how best to implement them.

Anyway, I think this thread has been exhausted of its usefulness.

In the race to "one up" their major competitor and release a DX10 card months ahead of ATI, Nvidia has seriously lost face with it's enthusiast market. ATI will not have a DX10 card for a few more months but I'm willing to bet the drivers will not be beta.

The more I read about this situation the more hilarious it's becoming.

Anyone thats relying on marketing BS to help make their purchasing choices is clearly naive, I hope this serves as a good lesson to some of you. So in a good few years down the line you're smart enough not to buy a brand new OS and expect fantastic driver support.

You'll probably be in my position at that point, leaning back in your chair having a good giggle at those ranting and raving on the forums about how they're going to sue Nvidia over their lies and how they'll never go back to Nvidia hardware.

:')
So, what you're saying is, people have no right to expect truth in advertising from a company (i.e., nVidia)?

The more I hear this from forumites, the more I think that perhaps this is why companies no longer care about consumers --they realize that for every person that gets angry and expects people to live up to their promises, there's another five that will lecture that person for:

a) being an early adopter
b) not recognizing that "nobody should believe in marketing anymore" (which really = no company should have to live up to the claims they make to sell their product)

So companies devolve into a cycle of promising things they either can't deliver, or have little intention of it, knowing that 2/3 of the user base will bash the 1/3 that (IMO, rightly and honestly) expects a company to live up to what it promises.

I think that if a company makes no promises about Vista support prior to the OS release, they're not on the hook. I don't expect anything from them, nor should I until they announce their support intentions. But would any user be wrong in expecting a product labeled as "Vista Ready" on the box to have non-beta drivers for it available at the time of the OS release? I don't think so either.

Um , I got the most powerfull video card money can buy for DX9 and have been enjoying it since I purhcased it in November. This card is easily more powerful than my sli set up was and I have no regrets. Nvidia will eventually get thier act together and if they do not, I will go with an ATI card. I really do not care :p After all its is just a video card for goodness sake.

PS , I Purchased the most power full card money could buy becuase i needed it for my monitor so spare me the epenis flames

Um , I got the most powerfull video card money can buy for DX9 and have been enjoying it since I purhcased it in November. This card is easily more powerful than my sli set up was and I have no regrets. Nvidia will eventually get thier act together and if they do not, I will go with an ATI card. I really do not care :p After all its is just a video card for goodness sake.

PS , I Purchased the most power full card money could buy becuase i needed it for my monitor so spare me the epenis flames

What I meant, in regards to Vista and DX10 support.

If everything is working for what you bought it for, I'm glade. :D Enjoy it.

The Mexican standoff between nVidia and Microsoft on this issue was not a surprise, and it sucks for us nVidia owners that nV's usually competent crew couldn't get the drivers done in time for the Vista launch.

Given their history, though, nVidia should get the job done eventually. They seem to learn quickly from their mistakes. We don't need DX10 support yet, anyway.

Microsoft is partially to blame, and should not be off the hook for this. They deserve to take the stick for forcing peripheral manufacturers through their moronic security measures (including the mandatory driver signing procedures for x64), and, ultimately, for their release of a beta operating system on an unsuspecting public.

At least when I use a beta driver from nVidia I get something relatively stable. Microsoft, on the other hand, cannot be trusted to have the bugs out even in their gold releases.

First I saw someone mentioning using the MSDN version of vista yet, not one person spoken up when it was continually mentioned that vista has been in the works for several years. I'm guessing everyone totally forgot about the fact vista is on the third code re-write, so all the mkg have had feb mar of last year to rewrite all drivers for vista without knowing if the time would be wasted with another rewrite changing the code on them yet again. I'm shocked nvidia had the guts to release their card as a DX10 card since they had no way of knowing if MS would change the OS again.
I have not been keeping my hands as deep as I used because I'm trying to get out of the tech field but I still have an idea what is involded in these drivers I get the feeling most of you are like the user I decided I was sick of dealing with, so many people want everything now, who cares what it takes to get it done.
I agree nvidia over promised and they should take respobility for their actions and fix the mess they created... oh wait that is what they are doing and your jumping on them for not promising a deadline they don't know if they can meet, so does that not make them dammed if they do and dammed if they don't?

...I'm shocked nvidia had the guts to release their card as a DX10 card since they had no way of knowing if MS would change the OS again...

Please, that's pure fantasy land BS. Yes, the original version of Longhorn was scrapped for a complete rewrite, over 3 years ago. Vista was in Beta and Release Candidate mode for nearly all of 2006. The OS has been RTM for over two months already. Microsoft produced and entirely new Operating System in 3 years. Why is it that in one year nVidia couldn't produce a new Driver?

good job nvidia, really, customers pay that much for a card(s) you kno vista is coming, and you basically dont support it.... and yet you hype dx10 like mad?

(didnt read all replies)

Not to try and help Nvidia save face, but they arent the only one who doesnt have functioning Vista drivers. ATI X1950XT cards are unuseable in Vista as well.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1147110

ya but the 1950 werent hyped as being these great Dx10 cards.... 8800 are and since dx10 isnt in xp (which ati's cards work fine), one would think nvidia would of tried to make their cards work with the only OS that has DX10 ? no.... ?

I am amazed at this ridiculousness. I just spent a small fortune for this system and it screams in XP.

I was just about ready to go out and get a copy of Vista 64 since I have a 64 bit Quad CPU, now I'm not sure what to do.

DC:rolleyes:

Go ahead and get Vista since you are obviously someone who loves playing with the newest techie toys (I'm guilty as well).

Then prepare your system:

1. delete all temp files, temp internet files.

2. defrag your xp hardrive. Do a proper shutdown (so the NT log file is flushed, Partition magic and other hardrive apps complain about unflushed log files (from improper shutdowns)).

3. RESIZE your primary (XP) partition. About half original size (to leave say 100gb or more unused). Or buy a new hardrive and add it to your system. If you buy a new drive and have a USB flashcard reader installed, you might consider disconnecting the card readed for the duration of the vista install, since the bios of your motherboard will likely be giving out drive letters for each USB device (which can be confusing). Resizing is easy with Partition Magic from Symantec. All good techie-heads should have a copy of partition magic, so shame one you if you don't. (Go get it) Boot your XP at least once on the newly sized partition and verify it's working.

4. Boot the Vista DVD

5. install vista to the unused space or new hardrive. You will have to hit the advanced button and create a partition and format it. This is suprisingly a relatively safe operation in Vista, because it shows the amount used, free space, etc for each drive. Pay attention to that and you old data/os is safe. Just be sure to install to the free-space.

6. Enjoy! Vista will see your old XP installation and automatically add it to a new boot menu as "Previous version of Windows". Dual Boot for the WIN! Vista is so new that it will take time to figure out how to get all your applications working. Dual-booting allows a nice fall-back to XP for apps that may not be vista compatible.

GoodBoy

P.S. You should follow these steps for Vista NO MATTER what hardware you have, be it intel, amd, ati, or nvidia. There's driver problems everywhere, not to mention the applications problems.

I think I'll just give AMD/ATI a shot in March when they release their new card which by then I would hope would have real WHQL drivers at release. Nvidia seems to have their heads in the sand on this one.

Hi All,

I must say reading this thread has shown me folk don't remember the past. When Windows XP was released wasn't there the same lack of driver support? In addition, are there any Direct X10 games on the market? Also Nvidia isn't the only manufacturer who's lacking in driver support for Vista. I really don't see why some folk are so steamed up about this. Driver support is coming. Relax.

Thanks GoodBoy, nice advice and thanks for pegging me as a techy who likes all the new toys. Yep, but I really wanted a system that would be able to game in hi res and not even think about bogging down.

Vista is WAY too new and your asking for trouble installing it now. I won't go to Vista until nVidia has thier drivers out for the 8800 GTX and can perform in SLi mode. DX10 games are not even out yet, so there's really no point in upgrading yet. There are some cool features to Vista but I would give it another 2 months or so before its ready for guys like us.

:cool:

Hi all,

I run a few nvidia cards in my rigs and it just came to me.

One of the main reason i believe that nvidia and even ati has been "slow" with driver releases is that they are more than likely dealing with their oem/odm partners. remember that most of the planet uses oem machines. heck at my work i am 1 of 13 people (we have over 100 employees) who actually upgrade most just buy dells/hps etc and laptops are big thing there. i believe that once the oems have been dealt with drivers will come flying out of nvidia and ati like there is no tomorrow. after all one never bites the hand that feeds them.

Still.. I do not think the 6 and 7 series have 95% PENETRATION for sli ?

No, he means that, out of all existing SLI users (not total nVidia users), 95% of them are using 6 and 7 series cards, not 8 series. Hence, by (so far) only supporting SLI under Vista for the 8 series, the drivers are shortchanging the far greater numbers who do SLI with 6 and 7 series cards.

As an 8800GTX owner, I'm also annoyed that the current drivers are sub-par. But I really think this is a non-issue. I have little doubt that there will be new drivers before, or coinciding with the first DX10 game release.

Meanwhile, Vista's been out for about a week, and the only true gripe is a lack of support for SLI users? That's the cost of living on the bleeding edge. Pull a card out, or revert to XP until adequate drivers hit the street.

Enthusiast websites and forum dwellers can complain all they want, NVIDIA may not listen. What they WILL listen to are State's Attorneys General. If you feel you are being cheated then go online and file a complaint with your respective State AG. NVIDIA will have to listen to them.

This is exactly what happened with their SLI-a-Day contest. NVIDIA was running an illegal lottery. If you didn’t have an SLI rig you couldn’t enter. In order to enter you had to BUY an SLI mobo and video card. There was no alterative entry process (snail mail). After a bunch of people, including myself, filed complaints with their AG, NVIDIA added a mail in registration process.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1139608&highlight=lottery

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_promotion_manual.html

So, what you're saying is, people have no right to expect truth in advertising from a company (i.e., nVidia)?

Er no.

It's nothing to do with right's, it's entirely to do with what you can realistically expect.

I have a right to walk through the rough areas of a city and not get beaten up/robbed, but If I realistically expect that to happen then I'm just naieve. This doesn't mean I approve that such things happen, it's just that the consequences can be entirely avoided without having to worry about whats right and wrong.

With such shadey laws about advertising and alike, and the massive grey area that is driver support fighting such a case probably isn't worth it. If you want to make an impression vote with your wallets, it's the only thing that matters to companies, move to ATI if you feel Nvidias support is THAT bad, I personally think that ATI have better drivers at this point (but by no means perfect), but you obviously sacrafice the raw power of Nvidias latest cards to get it.

Enthusiast websites and forum dwellers can complain all they want, NVIDIA may not listen. What they WILL listen to are State's Attorneys General. If you feel you are being cheated then go online and file a complaint with your respective State AG. NVIDIA will have to listen to them.

This is exactly what happened with their SLI-a-Day contest. NVIDIA was running an illegal lottery. If you didn’t have an SLI rig you couldn’t enter. In order to enter you had to BUY an SLI mobo and video card. There was no alterative entry process (snail mail). After a bunch of people, including myself, filed complaints with their AG, NVIDIA added a mail in registration process.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1139608&highlight=lottery

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_promotion_manual.html

I am not going to debate whether this type of action is right or wrong, but don't you people have anything better to do? Is everyone just gung ho for litigation these days?

Back