Where are all the handles!

QuadDragon

Limp Gawd
I don't know about yall but I Lan Game at least 2 times a month which means that im carrying my case around quite a bit.

There are no real good lightweight Microatx solutions with handles. I will be using the NZXT Vulcan but its older and needs a new revision already. Theres quite a bit they could do to make this case better.

Theres the Cubes which I hate, there awkward heavy and don't allow for 120mm fans most of the time.

Theres the Silverstone SGU series but they don't allow for the monster video cards that I love.

I have also found a few generics here and there that are OK but nothing seems to compare to the Vulcan when it comes to putting together a highend gaming microatx rig With a handle!.

I have a problem with this too ....
I guess the only way is to build your own case :/

sg05 can accept 580s and most highend 6000 series cards with a small cut. it also has a 120mm intake. and you can attach handles fairly easily to the thickish top panel

There are handles which you can buy and mod onto cases, or you can just use a gear grip. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...ro_Carrying_System_Silver.html?tl=c187s412b55

I've had a gear grip on my vinster for like... 4 years now. Hasn't let me down.

I have a couple of the gear grip tote things, Don't much care for the feel of them. and the straps never are quite tight enough. And if you want to take the side off to fiddle with stuff its inconvient.

Man if I had a shop I would do more mods, but I don't even have a garage.

Thermaltake Lanbox
Poor vent, but you can mod and mount 120mm fans on side windows

You need to carry a keyboard, mouse, cables, etc..........so it seems that a carrying bag that can accomodate these components along with your case would seem prudent, eliminating the need for a case with handles no?

I actually initially carried my rig using a Gear Grip, and my rig got beat to hell. My Silverstone carrying bag has saved my rig on more than one occasion from the perils of travel/transportation. She's about to wear out so I'll probably pick up a Lan Gear carrying bag as its replacement.

I still have my Sugo pack for carrying my SG06 around. It looks silly in such a big bag but it works.

I expect an SG01 would be a better fit and take pretty much any video card you like.

Theres the Silverstone SGU series but they don't allow for the monster video cards that I love.

I have a Silverstone SG03, and I've got 2 6870s in it with aftermarket coolers on them too. The case was originally made just so that 4870x2s could fit in it, back in the day.

It's a great case series, (SG03, SG04 variants), and they're all a fair bit smaller and prettier (IMO) than the Vulcan, which looks a bit...awkward to me.

I have a couple of the gear grip tote things, Don't much care for the feel of them. and the straps never are quite tight enough. And if you want to take the side off to fiddle with stuff its inconvient.

Man if I had a shop I would do more mods, but I don't even have a garage.

You can likely add a handle to any case pretty easily without a garage. If you're not comfortable with it, I'm pretty sure the guys at Performance-pc's can add a handle to any case you want to order. You'd have to pay extra and i'm not sure how much but it could be worth it.

My LAN party rig has a handle.

100_2267.jpg

I think Lian Li stopped making them.

The Vulcan is old? it hasnt been out that long. Although I do admit it could use some improving in some areas. Widen it some and replace the 92mm back port with a 120mm for starters. Still for carrying a mATX case that comes with a handle the Vulcan is probably the current best solution. There are some other cases that are quite good that you could mod a handle on or use a carrying bag or a harness like others have mentioned above.

You need to carry a keyboard, mouse, cables, etc..........so it seems that a carrying bag that can accomodate these components along with your case would seem prudent, eliminating the need for a case with handles no?

+1

I wouldn't mod a handle onto a case. Most of the time the machine sits there not being carried and then I don't want to see a handle. And when I do want to carry it, how do I also carry the peripherals? :confused:

Another thought: most notebooks get carried using a bag.

carry bag = practical + extra protection

+1

I wouldn't mod a handle onto a case. Most of the time the machine sits there not being carried and then I don't want to see a handle. And when I do want to carry it, how do I also carry the peripherals? :confused:

Another thought: most notebooks get carried using a bag.

carry bag = practical + extra protection

I use a backpack to carry my peripherals, and the monitors are alleady there where I lan game.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4403/computex-2011-the-suitcase-from-lian-li

This looks like a a ruggedized version of the PC-Q08 (which is what I use for my lan/work rig).
Being that it's Mini ITX you're limited to only using a single graphics card, but it has the room for a full sized dual gpu card if you wish.

The more I look at the case the more I think this one could become quite popular for those wanting to carry one around to LAN parties or travel with. After owning a slim drive I'm coming to the conclusion that others already have that a slim drive is all you need today and thats what they should change on that case. Make it a slim drive to save some space for other things. I suppose of course you could put in Lian-Li's EX-553 mounting kit and get that to a slim drive and add some extra drive space but it'd be better if the case was built that way to begin with.

Back