When you have money falling out yer ass... Amazing Home Theater / Arcade

Oh god, imagine the wiring for all that mess...
then imagine having to return 10 years later to upgrade all the amps, controllers and basically redo the entire rack... yea, I just went through that... but IMO that's a fun job

everything in here except the tron game looks fake, like reneders or maybe they filtered it. idk, it all looks fake as fuck to me. like the server rack is just a poor copy/paste job.

$450k and no bar? eh?

Hey you never know. If you have ever seen the "self refilling" beer cups where they refill from the bottom.... you can get the tap side of that in cup holder form.

i dont want to be a hater as my home entertainment room consists of sitting on my broken couch with a laptop and $9 headphones... but exactly where did the $450,000 go? also the carpet and visuals are so damn ugly. also it might be the camera, but the distance to the screen looks way too far, they might as well be sitting with me on my broken couch for movie time.

anyone is invited btw, we are gonna check out taxi driver tonight because comparisons are all ive read since joker came out. i have generic microwave popcorn and mtn dew. all you can drink.

The super wide angle lens isn't helping. It's likely a lot closer than it looks. Disregarding the sense of scale from the lens, it appears there's just a bit more than one seating row's space between the front row's feet and the black riser.

Loosely probably a third of the cost went to what's in there, a third went to pay the labor, and a third went to line the pockets of whoever provided the labor and ability to make it happen.

everything in here except the tron game looks fake, like reneders or maybe they filtered it. idk, it all looks fake as fuck to me. like the server rack is just a poor copy/paste job.

The server rack isn't a poor copy paste job, it's in a utility space with ductwork and maybe shelve, and that crap was masked out, blurred, made monochrome, and darkened to hide it. A lot of stuff has been unnaturally cleaned up by post filters as well as over sharpened. The only truly WTF thing in there is the pinball machines as relative to the things around them, they look like they slope at a much, MUCH more severe angle than pinball machines should. I don't think it is fake or previs stuff. Just over-processed and using the realestate lens to make it look huge. The wall with the pinball machines is maybe 18", including the machine barely in frame on the right.

The server rack isn't a poor copy paste job, it's in a utility space with ductwork and maybe shelve, and that crap was masked out, blurred, made monochrome, and darkened to hide it. A lot of stuff has been unnaturally cleaned up by post filters as well as over sharpened. The only truly WTF thing in there is the pinball machines as relative to the things around them, they look like they slope at a much, MUCH more severe angle than pinball machines should. I don't think it is fake or previs stuff. Just over-processed and using the realestate lens to make it look huge. The wall with the pinball machines is maybe 18", including the machine barely in frame on the right.
maybe so but i circled what is throwing me off. looks like a video game/render.

upload_2019-10-10_14-10-33.png

This such an awkward fake news photoshop bullshit bunch if rendered photos. My God dont be so gullible people.

that's what happens in architectural photography, long exposure times + high f-stops produces those lense flares , then post production in lightroom or whatever to exaggerate things a bit... the flare of light on the right is from the recessed linear lighting which ends out of frame farther right. I have to work with photos like this all the time, and yea they don't look like most camera shots and when done poorly can look a bit off or rendered even

I wouldn't wanna sit in any of those seats... too far away in respect to the screen size... but the arcade area looks fun
Was going to say, that is an awfully small screen for that setup. I would not enjoy watching movies on that at all.

Seems a silly quibble - when most people watch HDTVs and are fully satisfied which present a much smaller FOV.

This guy has a 138" 16x9 screen and a $60,000 Barco Balder 4K projector. To say you wouldn't enjoy watching a movie there? Get out of here.

That projector is outrageously expensive:
https://www.barco.com/en/staticpages/landingpages/Residential/page/ProductDetailPages/Balder

https://www.visionhifi.com.au/home-...xpr-cinemascope-projector/pid-y3#.XZ-hiqOP41I

oh I was thinking I'd rather throw a bean bag in there to sit closer, that's all... it's still enjoyable either way (at least based on the slightly bigger one I've experienced)

I think it comes down to what value you put on the experience. First time I watched a movie with 700 watt subwoofer was amazing. I still get tingles when my guts rattle.
Then you might appreciate a previous month's Home Theater of the month - where the guy put in a dozen 24" subwoofers: (powered by four 12,000 watt SP2-12000 SpeakerPower amplifiers (these are incredible\ made in USA\ true to rated spec amplifiers))
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/92-community-news-polls/2544881-ht-month-hahn-theater.html
JBL M2 speakers, 19' tall home theater screen - etc etc etc...

Subwoofers have come down in price significantly over the last few years if you are willing to DIY. A great 18" driver used to cost about $1k 10 years ago (I.E. TC Sounds LMS 5400 Ultra) for just the driver (add cabinet and amplifier and you got up to $2k territory - even with DIY rather quickly for each 18".

Now a great 18" driver that is nearly on par ( a 2-3 dB less across the board at most) costs about $300. (Dayton Audio UM18-22 for example). And there are other competitive options in these new lesser price point brackets too. It's not atypical for keen enthusiasts on avsforum to have eight 18" sealed subwoofers in relatively modest home theaters/homes. I have eight 18" subwoofers driven by right at about 12,000 watts of true output (peak) myself. - total cost was just over $6k for all eight subwoofers, amps and boxes. $6K is not far above what a single Velodyne DD18 used to cost a decade ago. (IE Velodyne DD18" were about $5K) -- AND these new subwoofer drivers are better than the old kingpin options like Velodyne DD18".

A high quantity of subwoofer drivers, make for great consistency of bass throughout the room and a flat frequency response into the single digits at reference level volumes. They will wobble your chair and hit your gut like an amusement park ride if called upon for dynamic swings, but can be as gentle and unobtrusive as a kitten when you listen at regular volumes. Dial in to taste. ;)

Source: data-bass.com (tested outdoors ground plane)
upload_2019-10-10_16-54-28.png

Last edited:
While some of that stuff is really neat, I have no desire to mimic the theater or arcade experience. I see both things as formerly necessary evils moreso than something to reproduce.

Back