When you got out to a repair, what do you take?

wankrtron

Gawd
Ok, I am by know means a "guru," but I know my way around a computer fairly well. I do all the things I should, at least as far as I know. Well, I have been going to the chiropractor for about a year now, and they have discoverd my "knack" for computers. Every now and then I do a little work for them as a trade off for adjustments. I recently went and ran Ad Aware on a couple computer for the people that work at the place. One was running HEINOUSLY slow, and turned up 2043 criticals under Ad Aware. This got me to thinking, what other tools am I gonna need to get these people back on track?

I have read this thread about what to carry on a flash drive in a more...um...professional setting. I am going through the list one by one and looking up what they are / do as I am unfamiliar with most. I don't have the time to sit on the internet and keep up to date with all this stuff, so I thought I'd ask you all and see if you can help me out.

The things I'm interested in are firewalls, antivirus, spy/ad/malware, drivers, and possibly, if anyone knows of one, a defrag utility that works better than Windows'. The OS's have mostly been XP, but I have a feeling the place I'm going next will have either 98 or even 95. <sigh>

So what should I take, what should I rely on? I have a 512mb Cruzer, but will probably make a duplicate CD just in case. So far on my flash drive I have:

Ad Aware SE
Zone Alarm
Spybot 1.3
FireFox
and the version of FireFox you can run from the flash drive.

If you have any advice / links to utilities (preferably free) that I can use, and leave with them when I go out to fix something, please list it here. Remember, these people are just standard internet using, emailing, chatting users. No power users here, and for the most part, they just want their computers to not be so slow, so I figure, run some adware killers and a defrag and set them up with some AV and they will be happy. So far, so good.

The word is spreading too, people want me to come, and are offering cash. They are telling me that they will pay what I want. What do you guys get when you go out for stuff like this?

wankrtron said:
Ok, I am by know means a "guru," but I know my way around a computer fairly well. I do all the things I should, at least as far as I know. Well, I have been going to the chiropractor for about a year now, and they have discoverd my "knack" for computers. Every now and then I do a little work for them as a trade off for adjustments. I recently went and ran Ad Aware on a couple computer for the people that work at the place. One was running HEINOUSLY slow, and turned up 2043 criticals under Ad Aware. This got me to thinking, what other tools am I gonna need to get these people back on track?

I have read this thread about what to carry on a flash drive in a more...um...professional setting. I am going through the list one by one and looking up what they are / do as I am unfamiliar with most. I don't have the time to sit on the internet and keep up to date with all this stuff, so I thought I'd ask you all and see if you can help me out.

The things I'm interested in are firewalls, antivirus, spy/ad/malware, drivers, and possibly, if anyone knows of one, a defrag utility that works better than Windows'. The OS's have mostly been XP, but I have a feeling the place I'm going next will have either 98 or even 95. <sigh>

So what should I take, what should I rely on? I have a 512mb Cruzer, but will probably make a duplicate CD just in case. So far on my flash drive I have:

Ad Aware SE
Zone Alarm
Spybot 1.3
FireFox
and the version of FireFox you can run from the flash drive.

If you have any advice / links to utilities (preferably free) that I can use, and leave with them when I go out to fix something, please list it here. Remember, these people are just standard internet using, emailing, chatting users. No power users here, and for the most part, they just want their computers to not be so slow, so I figure, run some adware killers and a defrag and set them up with some AV and they will be happy. So far, so good.

The word is spreading too, people want me to come, and are offering cash. They are telling me that they will pay what I want. What do you guys get when you go out for stuff like this?

My company charges $80 an hour from the time I leave the door to the time I arrive back, but thats a decent sized IT reseller charges. Solo onsite techs if your just doing it yourself will depend on your needs/ time spent/ equipment used/ ect..ect.

I"d go around $60 range seeings how you have no established "business" and credibility so many people and companies don't wanna be forking alot money over to just one guy. It will also depend on your clients and how often you visit them and the amount of work you do.

I personally carry a CD around with the following tools for my computer cleaning needs for jobs such as you've described above.

Adware SE with newest definition files
http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Spybot 1.3 with newest definition files
Combined together, they do a real good job of removing spyware except the really nasty stuff
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/

Norton Antivirus Liveupdater Virus self installing updates for broken NAV installations
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html

Cool Web Shredder and Hijack This
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Updated drives definitions and software updates for burning software for new *Easy CD Creator* mostly for my clients*

Newest Firefox

Photo Pos Pro picture editing program
http://www.download.com/Photo-Pos-Pro/3000-2192_4-10335250.html?tag=lst-0-12

WinSock WinXP IP rebuild utility *VERY handy for rebuidling trashed TCP/IP stacks in registry after a major spyware or virus infection
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml

Popular single virus removal tools from Symantec for viruses such as Blaster, love bug, Sasser, Beagle, Sobig, ect..ect..
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html

Disk Keeper Defragmention software. MUCH better then any windows based built in defragger. Its a trial, but its free and will get you out of Win 95/98/ME defraggs
http://www.executive.com/downloads/downloads-r.asp

I do not recommend or give out free Antivirus solutions to clients. Businesses need to reailze that its simply to big of a chance now adays not having Antivirus software on their machines. I tell them they simply must lay down the up front costs and have fully supported and licenced AV solutions as the alternative could cost them more in the long run.

Clients who need single AV solutions for homes who have full corporate copies at work or very small businesses I give a copy of Symantec Corporate Client or copies of Nav 2005 available for sale.

My kit consists of

3cm RW CD - with a copy of BartPE based on WinXP SP2. Configured with AdAware with a database no more than two weeks old, an AV scanner based on McAfee Extra .dats no more than 2 weeks old, and all the raid/network drivers currently in use on our servers and desktops.

Freecom 40 GB USB FHD-XS HD

Loaded with ISO's for everything under the sun that my company has licensed, and a virtual CD utility for mounting them. I also carry a copy of Virtual PC and a virtual disk image of our troubleshooting workstation configuration that is about 4 gigs in size. As long as the box is running XP or Server 2003 and has at least 384 MB of RAM, I can bring up a fully configured network enabled troubleshooting workstation running in isolated memory space, no reboot required at installation or de-installation.

And I can carry my music collection to listen to while I am working on a desktop. :)

ice, ill have to give all of that stuff a look make sure i know what it is and how to use it.
smile.gif

nessus said:
...and a virtual CD utility for mounting them... :)
good call, which one do you carry, is it a liscensed one or a free one? are there free ones?

im not familiar with bart pe yet, i guess ill have to look that up too.

like that hdd thing. that is great. like the idea about the music as well. heh. :D

i use an isolinux cd with the following tools for testing
memtest86
a few hdd testing tools

i also have cd's\dvd's with (up to date)
spybot
adaware
mcafee command-line
spysweeper
hijackthis
boingo net utility
crap cleaner
msconfig.exe - always comes in handy
3 dif winsock and lsp fixes
winsock fix for 9x machines
service pack 1 & 2 disc
service packs 1-4 for 2000 pro
every OS cd from microsoft - for soft/oem installs
3.1, 95, 98, 98se, me,nt 4 server, 2000 pro, 2000 server, 2000 datacenter, 2000 advanced server, media center 04, media center 05, server 03..i have them all may have missed some when i typed them out
xp password reset cd
sisoft sandra
norton ghost
systemworks
partition magic
knoppix boot cd
easy recovery pro
handy recovery
custom made reg and bat tweak files

actual tools/hardware
usb lan adapter (wired & wireless)
good screwdriver set
multimeter
atx supply tester
paperclips *use more than youd think*
a few thumbdrives
ide to usb adapter
idelaptop to usb adaptor
external hdd
network cable tester
crossover cable
nice plier and wrench set

i get most of my tools from www.mcmelectronics.com
real nice stuff. i really bet i missed alot of what i take though, i have two 106 disc folder filled with OS's and Utils and so on and so forth, ive lost count of what i have.

wankrtron said:
good call, which one do you carry, is it a liscensed one or a free one? are there free ones?

Microsoft supplies a free unsupported tool that I normally use. It works on 2k, xp, and 2003.

Download link.

thanks for all the good suggestions so far. it looks like ive got a lot of catching up to do. does anyone know of a FAQ about spy/ad/mal ware? like im interested in knowing when you have to check the registry for stuff and what not. what is the best way to rid of them (im assuming by running a myriad of programs) and the likes.

wankrtron said:
thanks for all the good suggestions so far. it looks like ive got a lot of catching up to do. does anyone know of a FAQ about spy/ad/mal ware? like im interested in knowing when you have to check the registry for stuff and what not. what is the best way to rid of them (im assuming by running a myriad of programs) and the likes.

Trail and error and doing it alot.

you have to check the registry by trial and error or you have to trial and error with the programs? geez i hope its not trial and error registry stuff. im pretty sure i could severly screw something up poking around in there.
frown.gif

since my type of repairs are a bit different than most normal tech's repairs (I don't get paid per hour- in exchange for providing comp support to the entire residence hall I live in, I get free room, board, and food, and as flexible of hours as I want- pretty good for a sophomore in college, eh?), my stuff is designed around being as automated as possible- so that I don't have to be there to do the job.

As such, I carry around two chief things: a 128mb pen drive provided by work, and my own custom autoclean cd.
Pen drive:
Custom .bat file that has various menus to do all of the command line stuff on the pen drive (I'm no programmer so .bat files is the best I can do right now)
Ad-Aware 6 scanner (supports command line) with latest defs
Ad-Aware SE 1.05 installer with latest defs
Spybot 1.3 with latest defs
Spybot 1.3 installer with latest defs
Custom Firefox .msi I found online for command line
HijackThis
CWSShredder
WinsockFix
McAfee Command Line virus scanner (free)
Latest McAfee SuperDAT (university provides McAfee enterprise 7 to all students)
McAfee Stinger
Blaster Patches
WinXP SP2 express install & Win2k SP4 express install (too small of a pen drive for full installers)
RezCon (place I work for) Installer (includes McAfee Enterprise 7 and activation to get online)

I've also got my AutoClean CD that I made myself that is designed for residents to check out from the front desk, pop it in, have a command box pop up, and then do everything I would do without me having to be here. It does the following:
1. Autoruns the .bat file
2. Informs the resident what to do on restart (as in, to select the right account- not Administrator), then pauses until any key is pressed.
3. Uses bootcfg.exe and some for & if commands to analyze the boot.ini and add another entry that has Safe Mode command parameters, then sets that entry to default, and writes a number to a new text file based on what result the outcome was.
4. Detects what version of Windows (2000, XP, or 2003), then copies all of the files to the hard drive, then adds a run once key to the registry that runs in safemode to run the second, post-reboot .bat file.
5. Informs the resident to reboot, then pauses until any key is pressed.
6. Upon reboot, modifies boot.ini via bootcfg to delete the entry that was added, based upon what was in the text file written before reboot, then sets the first entry back to default.
7. Begins first a full automated McAfee CLI virus scan, then a full automated Ad-Aware 6 scan, next a full automated Spybot scan, and finally does Windows updates (2000 does SP4 then blaster patch, XP does blaster patches then SP2, 2003 does blaster patches. The reason for blaster before SP2 on XP is because some people have pirated copies that SP2 won't install on- although we don't support them, we still don't want their computers getting infected and causing network congestion).
8. Informs the resident of what to do after the box closes (hitting "yes" to the "you are in safe mode yadda yadda" box, then to reboot), that if they have any problems to call their local RezCon Assistant (this CD is used in all 6 residence halls since I made it), and that Mozilla Firefox will install on the next restart.
9. Adds a run key for Spybot that runs on every start-up, completely hidden, no window visible. A bit deceptive, but worth it for all of the potential problems it can fix.
10. Adds a runonce key for a no-window FireFox install. On the next reboot, it will install and put a nice icon on the desktop.

It may not be as fancy as if I knew how to program and could write Win32 applications, but it works quite well, and has gotten rave reviews so far, with very few people having problems (before I switched over to bootcfg I used to use a different method that resulted in a chance the computer would always boot into safe mode until a RezCon assistant could fix it- but that's all fixed now). Eventually it will reach the point where every resident will have to run this CD once they get into the residence halls, and will essentially set their computer up for them, and hopefully prompt them to switch over to Firefox as well as keep most spyware off their computer. Hopefully.

that cd sounds pretty pimp. it does a couple things that i dont know if i would want it to do or not, but still something like that must make doing this a LOT easier. im gonna have to see if i can find some info on how to do that my self.

people would think i was some sort of magician if i came to their house, put a cd in and kicked back while the computer fixed itself. HAH! :cool:

where did you find information on how to do that?

My favorite rescue cd is sysresccd...

www.sysresccd.org

Even if you only use it for the partition magic lookalike it's worth to keep in your case..

The website in my sig are all the proggies I swear by..

-scoob8000

mpeg4v3 said:
since my type of repairs are a bit different than most normal tech's repairs (I don't get paid per hour- in exchange for providing comp support to the entire residence hall I live in, I get free room, board, and food, and as flexible of hours as I want- pretty good for a sophomore in college, eh?), my stuff is designed around being as automated as possible- so that I don't have to be there to do the job.

*snip*

That sounds pretty fucking awesome. I'd love to see the batch file and ISO for those if you have the means to make them available.

Hell, if you can even PM me a link to it, I'll host it for everyone else to grab it. LMK

I usually can fix most computer manually when it comes to bulk of spyware and viruses but I always carry the following

Adaware SE
AVG 7 Anti-Virus Free
Kerio Personal Firewall
Norton Uninstaller (I hate norton lot problems are caused by corrupted Norton installs)
Winxp SP 2
Ip stack fix
Real Alternative because I hate Real player I think its a bloatware.
Quick Time Alternative I hate Quicktime garbage
Firefox
Shareaza for those file swappers. I always uninstal Kazaa if I find it.
CDBXP Free burning Prog
xsol 1.5
part244
BuzzSaw and DIRMS
Ghost Diskettes (2003 Version)
VB script for Windows Defrag for scheduling. (I wrote my own) but there is plenty of ones available outthere.
WinXP Garbage Purge (My own app I wrote in Delphi) It manuall goes through Temp Dirs and Internet cache for each user as well as windows Dir and Purges Temp Caches.. Gets rid of most viruses :)
Collection of Registry Fixes and Tweaks.
Unantennted Optimized WinXP and Win2k CD's

Hardware..
1 PSU
1 Router with Wireless
1 Wireless Card.
2 Ethernet card ISA and PCI
1 56K modem
1 USB ethernet adapter
1 USB Wireless adapter
Network cable tester
Crimper for cables
RJ 45 and RJ 11 Ends
Cat 6 Cable
My Lappy
My ToolKit
Bunch of Adapters RS232, Printer cables etc.
My Fiber optic Kit.

I am prolly missing couple other things as well.

hmm xp garbage purge. now THIS sounds really useful to me. im working on computers that are so slow and there is so much crap in the cache, that it literally takes 10 minutes to empty the damned thing. so if there are 4 users, that is forty minutes of just waiting.

those of you posting things that you wrote yourself, or put together (the cd, xp garbage purge), dare i be so bold, but would you mind posting those up for people, or would you rather not?

since we are all fighting the spam infested, click yes to anything boxed, spywaring, malwaring, adwaring, virus spreading, internet explorer using bandwidth killing "casual" user, the rest of us could use this much more help. if you want to share your aps, let us know, if youd rather not, thats up to you. but if you got something, im sure the rest of us could really use it.

Yea i wouldnt mind that app would make my job easier of clearing out the temp folders. I know theres other apps out there that do the job but they usually need to be installed. I hate installing things on customers computer, rather something I can just run and close.

Here's the two bat files. The second .bat file is different based on whether it's XP, 2000, or 2003, but only different in the sense of how the windows updates are run. When I get a chance I'll make a "distributable" version of it if you guys want.

I know my .bat programming could probably be a lot better, but I'm not a programmer, hehe. If you've got recommendations, or see any typos, let me know.

autorun.bat:
Code:
@echo off
echo -----------------------------------------------
echo / Welcome to the RezCon AutoClean CD v2.12.06 /
echo /         WINDOWS 2000/XP/2003 ONLY!!         /
pause
echo / This CD will automatically scan your PC for /
echo / virii and spyware, and clean any that are   /
echo / found.                                      /
echo / RETURN THIS CD TO THE FRONT DESK WHEN DONE! /
echo / BE SURE TO UNPLUG YOUR NETWORK CABLE BEFORE /
echo / HITTING A KEY TO CONTINUE! IF YOU DO NOT,   /
echo / ANY VIRUS YOU MAY HAVE MAY REAPPEAR         /
echo / INSTANTLY!                                  /
pause
pause
echo / Do NOT interrupt this CD at any point. You  /
echo / MUST wait for it to finish or your computer /
echo / may be stuck in safe mode.                  /
echo / Do NOT run this CD again immediately after  /
echo / it completes. Instead, wait until after it  /
echo / reboots again to run it again if you feel   /
echo / the need.                                   /
echo / Click OK or Yes to any errors or boxes that /
echo / may pop up. If any problems occur after     /
echo / this CD is done, call RezCon.               /
pause

mkdir %windir%\temp\rezcon
FOR /F "skip=9 tokens=4" %%A in ('bootcfg') do if "%%A"=="Windows" (goto boot1) else goto boot2

:boot1
bootcfg /Copy /ID 1 /D "Safe Mode"
FOR /F "skip=6 tokens=3,4" %%A in ('bootcfg') do if "%%A"=="ID:" set bootid=%%B
if %bootid%==1 goto end2
if %bootid%==2 goto bootd2
if %bootid%==3 goto bootd3
:bootd2
bootcfg /RAW "/SAFEBOOT:MINIMAL /sos /bootlog /noguiboot" /ID 2
bootcfg /Default /ID 2
bootcfg /Timeout 3
goto continue
:bootd3
bootcfg /RAW "/SAFEBOOT:MINIMAL /sos /bootlog /noguiboot" /ID 3
bootcfg /Default /ID 3
bootcfg /Timeout 3
goto continue
:boot2
bootcfg /Copy /ID 2 /D "Safe Mode"
bootcfg /RAW "/SAFEBOOT:MINIMAL /sos /bootlog /noguiboot" /ID 3
bootcfg /Default /ID 3
bootcfg /Timeout 3
goto continue

:continue
echo Copying AutoClean Files. This may take a few minutes. Please Wait...

FOR /F "tokens=5 delims= " %%i in ('ver') do set my_ver=%%i
if %my_ver%==5.0.2195] goto 2000
if %my_ver%==5.1.2600] goto XP
if %my_ver%==5.2.3790] goto 2003

:2000
cd 2000
xcopy.exe /E /C /H /Y *.* %windir%\temp\rezcon\
cd ..
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce" /v *RezConAuto /t REG_SZ /d %windir%\Temp\rezcon\rezcon.bat /f
goto end

:XP
cd XP
cd ..
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce" /v *RezConAuto /t REG_SZ /d %windir%\Temp\rezcon\rezcon.bat /f
goto end

:2003
cd 2003
cd ..
goto end

:end
echo Updating McAfee SuperDAT Definitions...
sdat /SILENT /LOGFILE %windir%\sdat.log
echo /        PLEASE READ THIS TO CONTINUE!        /
echo / The next time you reboot your computer, it  /
echo / will reboot into Safe Mode. Once it does,   /
echo / you will be presented with a screen asking  /
echo / you to login, that will have at 2 or more   /
echo / options, one always being Administrator and /
echo / the other always being your default user    /
echo / name. DO NOT PICK ADMINISTRATOR. Pick the   /
echo / second choice, which may be your own name,  /
echo / your parent's name, your user name, the     /
echo / Owner, or something similar. If there is    /
echo / more than those two names listed, pick      /
echo / whichever one looks more appropriate, as    /
echo / long as it is NOT Administrator.            /
echo /                                             /
echo / The only, ONLY time it is safe to pick      /
echo / Administrator is when it is the ONLY option /
echo / on the screen.                              /
pause
echo / After you do this, Windows will begin to    /
echo / load in Safe Mode. This is normal. The next /
echo / phase of the AutoClean CD should begin to   /
echo / start after that. This stage may take up to /
echo / four hours for older computers, but will    /
echo / run completely automated. Once it is done,  /
echo / a black box like this one will display that /
echo / will give you further instructions on what  /
echo / to do.                                      /
pause
exit

:end2
echo There was an error in the process of this CD.
echo Please contact your RezCon Assistant for manual cleaning.
echo To contact him or her, call 1-619-783-2667 (or 3COMP).
echo The AutoClean CD will now quit.
pause
exit

rezcon.bat for winxp:
Code:
@echo off
cd %windir%\temp\rezcon

bootcfg /Delete /ID 1
bootcfg /Timeout 30

echo Running McAfee Command Line Virus Scanner...
echo It is completely normal to get dozens of "File Cannot Be Opened" errors.
echo .
cd sdat
scan.exe /ADL /ALL /CLEAN /WINMEM
cd ..
echo .
echo Running Ad-Aware 6...
echo Click either "OK" or "Yes" to any boxes that pop up.
echo .
cd adaware
ad-aware.exe "C:\" +A +1
cd ..
echo .
echo Running Spybot Search and Destroy...
echo Spybot will display NO window, so please just wait patiently for it to
echo finish. It may take up to 30 minutes to run.
echo If it has been longer than an hour and this CD has not moved on to the
echo next step (which is updating Windows XP), please contact your RezCon
echo Assistant.
echo .
cd spybot
spybotsd.exe /autocheck /autofix /autoimmunize /autoclose /taskbarhide
cd ..

echo Updating your copy of Windows XP to the latest version...
REGEDIT /S AU.REG
XPBLAST1.EXE -u -z
XPBLAST2.EXE -u -z
WXPSP2EN.EXE /Passive /norestart

echo ------------------------------------------------
echo / The AutoClean CD is now finished running.    /
echo / Once you hit a key, a box will pop up saying /
echo / that you are now in Safe Mode, as well as a  /
echo / description of safe mode. Merely hit Yes,    /
echo / then wait for Windows to load. Once it is    /
echo / finished loading, proceed to restart your PC /
echo / normally.                                    /
pause
echo / Upon the next time you restart, you should   /
echo / NOT be in Safe Mode. If you are, please call /
echo / your RezCon Assistant so they may come by    /
echo / and fix it.                                  /
echo / Additionally, Mozilla Firefox, a highly      /
echo / recommended alternative to Internet Explorer,/
echo / will be installed. RezCon very much so       /
echo / encourages you to use it, as it is better    /
echo / than Internet Explorer and blocks most major /
echo / pop-up and spyware problems.                 /
pause
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v Spybot /t REG_SZ /d "%windir%\Temp\rezcon\spybot\spybotsd.exe /autocheck /autofix /autoimmunize /autoclose /taskbarhide" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce" /v FirefoxInstall /t REG_SZ /d "%windir%\Temp\rezcon\firefox\firefox.msi /quiet" /f
del /F /Q /S %windir%\temp\rezcon\sdat
rmdir /S /Q %windir%\temp\rezcon\sdat
del /F /Q %windir%\temp\rezcon

Yeah I'd post it except I am on vacation atm. only have access to a cafe puter. All my stuff is at home atm.

mpeg4v3 said:
Here's the two bat files. The second .bat file is different based on whether it's XP, 2000, or 2003, but only different in the sense of how the windows updates are run. When I get a chance I'll make a "distributable" version of it if you guys want.
an iso or a zip would be awesome.

Wrench00 said:
Yeah I'd post it except I am on vacation atm. only have access to a cafe puter. All my stuff is at home atm.
when you get home and have a chance, will you throw it up for us?

does any one have any recommendations for a free personal firewall? any you have used and can reccommend? i am using zone alarm, but im wondering about any others i can give to people when i help them.

Windows XP Home & Pro
Software
usb wifi card and drivers (just incase we need internet bad and I can hit a AP)
Power Supply
Video card
Hard drive
Tools
Linksys router

IceWind said:
My company charges $80 an hour from the time I leave the door to the time I arrive back, but thats a decent sized IT reseller charges. Solo onsite techs if your just doing it yourself will depend on your needs/ time spent/ equipment used/ ect..ect.

I"d go around $60 range seeings how you have no established "business" and credibility so many people and companies don't wanna be forking alot money over to just one guy. It will also depend on your clients and how often you visit them and the amount of work you do.

I personally carry a CD around with the following tools for my computer cleaning needs for jobs such as you've described above.

Adware SE with newest definition files
http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Spybot 1.3 with newest definition files
Combined together, they do a real good job of removing spyware except the really nasty stuff
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/

Norton Antivirus Liveupdater Virus self installing updates for broken NAV installations
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html

Cool Web Shredder and Hijack This
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Updated drives definitions and software updates for burning software for new *Easy CD Creator* mostly for my clients*

Newest Firefox

Photo Pos Pro picture editing program
http://www.download.com/Photo-Pos-Pro/3000-2192_4-10335250.html?tag=lst-0-12

WinSock WinXP IP rebuild utility *VERY handy for rebuidling trashed TCP/IP stacks in registry after a major spyware or virus infection
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml

Popular single virus removal tools from Symantec for viruses such as Blaster, love bug, Sasser, Beagle, Sobig, ect..ect..
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html

Disk Keeper Defragmention software. MUCH better then any windows based built in defragger. Its a trial, but its free and will get you out of Win 95/98/ME defraggs
http://www.executive.com/downloads/downloads-r.asp

I do not recommend or give out free Antivirus solutions to clients. Businesses need to reailze that its simply to big of a chance now adays not having Antivirus software on their machines. I tell them they simply must lay down the up front costs and have fully supported and licenced AV solutions as the alternative could cost them more in the long run.

Clients who need single AV solutions for homes who have full corporate copies at work or very small businesses I give a copy of Symantec Corporate Client or copies of Nav 2005 available for sale.

Another Great tool for cleaning is called. Crap Cleaner.. check it out

Back