When You Do A Volt Mod On A 7900GT

john19055

n00b
when you volt mod the 7900GT and short the resistor to ground ,are you damageing that resistor,when you want to take a cleaner to take the mod off ,is the resistor fine after being shorted out to the ground.

you can't really damage a resistor, it is just a ceramic block with tin on both ends

john19055 said:
when you volt mod the 7900GT and short the resistor to ground ,are you damageing that resistor,when you want to take a cleaner to take the mod off ,is the resistor fine after being shorted out to the ground.

Naw, you'd need more than that to damage the resistor.

I have bought two Zalman VF900-Cu ,should these after market coolers be good enough for the extra cooling that they will need when I do a voltmod.I don't like the heatsinks that comes with the Zalman VF 900Cu so I order some better lowprofile copper heatsinks to go on them ,I am replaceing the heatsinks that came on the EVGA 7900GT KO's even though it has a better HSF then the other ones,it stills stays in the low 50c at just idle.I don't think I will do a memory mod because I don't want that graphite on my card and besides they over clock good on the memory without doing anything to the memory,One will do 1950 and the other will do 1860 and I was just looking for 1800 anyway ,I just want to get to 650 on the memory ,do you think the 1.3v mod will get that,They will do 575 now without a voltmod.Also has it been confrim that this messes up your decoding when recording a DVD or watching a DVD movie.

john19055 said:
Also has it been confrim that this messes up your decoding when recording a DVD or watching a DVD movie.

Where has this been confirmed at?

Please don't point me to some moron posting on a forum... or if your going to do that point me to at least 5 such morons...

I don't want to pont you to no morrons ,I was just reading in the 7900gt volt mod thread that one person was warning that the decoder did'nt work right after the volt mod ,I just want to hear that everthing works fine once a volt mod has been done because I am getting everthing so I can volt mod mine.I just want to hear from people that have had thier cards volt modded for at least a month and no ill effects.

Originally Posted by annaconda
I would like to make a point here for the people who MOD already and people who are thinking of MODDING.

The simple request is DON;T DO VMOD or MEMMOD

Yesterday i found out the strange thing, which i think most of you won;t even care or don;t use it every day of your computing. But it is good way of finding out that your MOD is good or not.

"Try to encode or decode any DVD video" if your card holds just fine then it means your mod is good. I had no artifacts in games or ATI Tool with my VMOD @ 1.5v with modest 670/1900 speed, then yesterday i was going to burn a home made dvd movie to DVD burner in Nero and i realized the whole screen just filled with red marks and lines, and computer just hanged.
Then i had to power down and restart the computer, thank GOD nothing was wrong after i restarted the computer. But every time i tried to burn the DVD it shows the same result and computer freezes on me.

Then i thought i am giving too much Voltage to the card, i redo the MOD @ 1.4v the whole thing started to get bad from there. I don;t know any body mentioned this before or not, once to VMOD the GPU and Memory there are 50/50 chance to get out of it fine with out any trouble.

I tried to erase the pencil MOD from memory, but it never came back to 608 ohm as it was before MOD, the most i got was 605 ohm even after erasing pencil charcoal again and again. My request is don;t MOD the memory no matter what, because there is no way you can come clean from this MOD. The residue from charcoal will spread accross the board and it will damage your card. The same thing will happed to your VMOD, as you will use Alcohol or any other liquid substance to rub out the VMOD, but once you tried to desolve it, it will spread with alcohol, and there might be a great chance you will leave something behind on other circuits with alcohol which you cannot see from human eye.

So the conclusion is don;t burn your $300 card just for 100 or 200 mhz more or for 1000 points in 3DMARK benchmars. Before MOD i had my card nicely overclocked to 560/1600 and i got 3DMARK06 score of = 5534, but after MOD @ 700/1800 i got only = 6512, so it is only a 1000 points difference. Now you have to ask yourself does this 1000 points difference is worth risking your $300 card? most of us don;t play games 24/7, but some might do. But face it after 3 months these cards will be looking old and outdated, so enjoy it while you can with safety and peace of mind that it won;t die on you.
I learned my lesson

This is what I saw and worried me ,but if no one else has this problem with the volt mod then I should have nothing to worrie about,I just wanted to make sure before I did the volt mod I could still record my DVD's.

well the guy seams to know what he is talking about a little. But... I need to see what others
have to say about this too before i believe it.

If you properly sink all the voltage regulators and memory chips plus keep good air flow over the card you have a much higher chance of having a successful vmod experience.. if you don't sink those and run with a vmod you are asking for trouble. but I agree, it's still a sizable risk vmodding these cards in general... I have read way too many posts about people's cards getting harmed by these mods so it may not be worth the risk.. unless it's just a project for you.. and you can afford to replace 300 video cards.. anyways.. my $0.02.

Maybe he means if you do a volt mod on the memory which I would'nt do because it can cause more problems then just a core mod ,I have 7900GT KO modded to 1.4v and I can play DVD's just fine and I just got some new movies which I decrpted and use nero recode and recorded them to a DVD and movie look and played just as good as the original did. and everthing works perfect.

i just did the vmod (1.5v on gpu no change to memory). got to 700 mhz core. ran 3dmark05 score 10.5k. then i removed the vmod. i only did it to see what all the fuss was about. i score 9.5k at stock speeds (560 core 1650 ram). 1k in 3dmark is not enough for me to risk destroying my card. besides there isnt a single game that i play that makes this card struggle. so if i was you i would seriously consider if you NEED the extra speed or not, dont do it just for the fun of doing it.

No one really needs the extra ,but it there and it is a easy mod and just doing a 1.4v IMO is not that dangerous since the CPU is rated to do 1.4v plus if you get a aftermarket cooler then there should be no problems ,They already have Bios updateds that raises the Vcore to 1.35 for the Evga7900GT Superclock plus the new Evga 7900GT SS comes stock volted at 1.45v on the 3D and 1.2v for 2D ,so I not worried about damageing the card at 1.4v ,But even I think you should not go over that and some of these are just cazy to me like 1.7v,then I would say you are takeing a big chance since the CPU is rated at 1.4v,But I have did ever test ,playing DVD movies ,recording movies with nero recode and had no problems ,movie look as good as the original,I have encoded CD to MP3 and it works fine.But if you feel that it is unsafe then I would not do it,The voltmod with the pencil is very unsafe IMO,that why I will not be doing that one.

^^ it's not the gpu which gets harmed with this mod.. it's the voltage regulators.. they're really only reated for the card at stock.. maybe with 1.3v.. but 1.4v can get them running too hot.. so sinking them is key to having a good long running vmod.. if you have a good card to start with, tested thoroughly at stock numbers (two weeks) then I would consider that relatively safe.. but only with sinks on the vegs, memory, and upgraded cooling on the gpu..

The only voltage regulator that seems to get hot is the one to the memory and it does get hot ,I would'nt do a volt mod on them memory because it is already over volted at 2v .but Evga has been putting out BIOS that raise the voltage on the core to 1.35v so I think 1.4v is in the safe range as long as you have proper cooling and don't go cazy on the overclocks.I had my 7800GT overvolted form day one but I just kept them at 490/1200 and had no problems ,but that not to say it is a100% safe to do a volt mod it is a gamble .

Yeah - I heard about that bios.. seems to be working well.. so I guess 1.4v is pretty safe.. but still and all, some of those vregs need to be cooled well.. air, sink, both, etc.. :)

I have put a Zalman 900-Cu and some copper heatsinks on mine ,it is doing a better job then the factory one on it .

^---vgpu mod, vmem mod and switching frequency mod with good aftermarker cooling, sinks on voltage regulators and side fan blowing on PCB and a PCI slot fan card blowing on the whole front of the card. idle is 36 load is 48, im fine :D i have had this for 2 weeks now? maybe a little longer.

iRoNeTiK said:
^---vgpu mod, vmem mod and switching frequency mod with good aftermarker cooling, sinks on voltage regulators and side fan blowing on PCB and a PCI slot fan card blowing on the whole front of the card. idle is 36 load is 48, im fine :D i have had this for 2 weeks now? maybe a little longer.

sounds like vmodding done right. post pics! :D

Back