• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

When will you buy a Quad Core processor???

Lyquist

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 21, 2004
Messages
3,368
I mainly want a quad core processor for folding. I have never spent more than $400 for a processor, so once the quad's become $400 or less, I will buy.
 
i'd love to see a 100 buck quad. we already have dual's for $65 w/shipping :D
 
I'm waiting on the April 22 price cuts, then I'm pouncing. I don't know whether I'm getting an octomac or just going with a Q6700, but it'll be quad core either way. (I'm mighty sick of this 1.5gz athlon with 768MB ram).
 
I'll be buying a dualie sometime this summer, but H2 prices of quads is awfully tempting. I'll probably get my cheap dualie then drop a 45nm quad sometime next year.
 
45nm for sure. Or at least until I start seeing HUGE performance gaps between dual and quad core processors. Not to say there isn't a difference now, but a 2 or 3 seconds saved on a photoshop filter doesn't justify the extra couple hundred bucks for me. ;)
 
My next upgrade will definatly be quad cores... That said, I am not sure when my next upgrade will be.
 
I will upgrade when it is the same price as my E6300 - $183. I refuse to pay more than $200 for a single computer component - the only exception being the motherboard.
 
Probably never, as in a single quad-core. I either need a system for multithreaded programming, then it's 8 or more cores, or I need a system with maximum per-core speed, then a dual will do.
 
When the quads go down to $266 or so, I will jump on that. The 22nd for that?

Im drooolin. :)
 
Whenever my E6600 starts to feel "slow", which I don't think will be anytime in the near future :)

So... 2009? Maybe even just jump to 8 cores then.
 
I mainly want a quad core processor for folding. I have never spent more than $400 for a processor, so once the quad's become $400 or less, I will buy.

In my case, it's the third quarter of 2007. Here's why: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20070413235345.html



Not the new QX6850 (desktop Clovertown), but Intel's Conroe-killer (no less than a sub-$300 entry-level Kentsfield) Q6600. At that price (less than the E6600 today) and given that it's literally a drop-in upgrade for the dual-core processor (even though it is decidedly overkill for a midrange processor), it will sell, and sell *huge*.

Let The Swamping Commence.
 
If I bought a motherboard today with Quad core support would I need to buy another
motherboard to fit the 45 nm when they come out?:confused: :confused:
 
If I bought a motherboard today with Quad core support would I need to buy another
motherboard to fit the 45 nm when they come out?:confused: :confused:

Possible 45nm SKU aren't guaranteed on anything less then Bearlake motherboards, and those haven't been released yet.
 
when price <= $100 :rolleyes: plus it's fairly useless if you only run one application heavily and it only supports 1 core.
 
Ill buy one when their comparative clocks/performance are better than what I have... I would never stress a quad, so I wont bale at sitting at 3.7Ghz
 
The main reason I want quad is for folding, and it will also be good for my machine so far as recording audio goes.
 
Myself, I will get the quad only with the new tech (Penryn) and if the price is below 250$. I'm a folder as well :D

 
45nm for sure. Or at least until I start seeing HUGE performance gaps between dual and quad core processors. Not to say there isn't a difference now, but a 2 or 3 seconds saved on a photoshop filter doesn't justify the extra couple hundred bucks for me. ;)

:( Help cure cancer?
 
Mid-May

whoever has the fastest, be it AMD (can hold out tell June, but that is it) or Intel.
 
Hmm, i wanted quadcore but might wait for octcore, but my requirements for cpu's are either $250 or less, and when apps can't run anything with less than half of the amount of cores capability (otherwise apps need no less than 4 cores to run right)
 
April 22nd, 2008? ;)

J/k, over the next 4 years I will acquire tens of thousands of dollars in school loans that will likely prevent me from making any significant purchases. :(

Luckily I'll get a sweet laptop from the school in 2 years...
This year's students got top end XPS laptops with 7950GT cards/C2D/2gb ddr-2. :D
 
April 22nd, 2008? ;)

J/k, over the next 4 years I will acquire tens of thousands of dollars in school loans that will likely prevent me from making any significant purchases. :(

Luckily I'll get a sweet laptop from the school in 2 years...
This year's students got top end XPS laptops with 7950GT cards/C2D/2gb ddr-2. :D

That's awesome, what school do you go to?
 
Back
Top