When will we see the 5970 killer?

Sunin

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - August 2008
Just curious as ati really has had the advantage this round. I'm an nvidia guy, but if they don't come out with a 5970 killer I'm going to buy two. Thoughts?

I am just going to say that's too loaded of a question for people in this forum to expect a reasonable and honest answer without it being filled with uninformed speculation or without personal jabs at one another.

All depends on what direction nvidia decided to go in once they found out that their design was too lofty for their immediate benefit. Deciding if it was a TSMC error and move forward, or just consider this a sub par design, and work on the next generation and hope for better execution long term. Even when they are doing poorly, they still have to think ahead, and alot of that is kept in secret and we don't hear about it until a 3rd party gets an order to build something. If something is out in the works for the short term, we haven't heard about it, but there is still over 8 months until Christmas, and things can change in that timeframe, on both sides.

I dont think Nvidia are going to have an 5970 killer anytime soon, the manufacturing problems rumoured with the 480 are causing huge power draws and additional temps, managing temps for a dual fermi card maybe impossible.

Without a more efficient processing power per watt ratio Nvidia are going to find it hard or impossible to beat ATI in the dual GPU cards.

The 5970 also has a massive reserve of processing power for anyone willing to overvolt and overclock, it's essentially 5870 hardware so capable of some very high clock speeds.

zoltar.jpg

Zoltar says the future is uncertain

I read about the 5990. When does that hit?

I dont think Nvidia are going to have an 5970 killer anytime soon, the manufacturing problems rumoured with the 480 are causing huge power draws and additional temps, managing temps for a dual fermi card maybe impossible.

Without a more efficient processing power per watt ratio Nvidia are going to find it hard or impossible to beat ATI in the dual GPU cards.

The 5970 also has a massive reserve of processing power for anyone willing to overvolt and overclock, it's essentially 5870 hardware so capable of some very high clock speeds.

While Nvidia is 6 months late trying to get Fermi out the door and still respinning, they probably have a completely different team working on the replacement - the problem is that TSMC is backed up with trying to get Fermi and 40nm right. Unless Nvidia skips town to Global Foundries to get their next gen fabbed, they might have a problem.

Reports are that ATI's next gen "Northern Islands" is a 32nm part and well underway already.

nVidia probably doesn't care about producing a concurrent to the 5970 because only 0.1% of the buyers can run or have the financial means to buy this card. Their priority now is to close the gap between them and AMD.

nVidia probably doesn't care about producing a concurrent to the 5970 because only 0.1% of the buyers can run or have the financial means to buy this card. Their priority now is to close the gap between them and AMD.

nvidia and amd have always gone after the performace crown. nvidia is working on something to crack the 5970. and amd is working on something to crack that and so on...

nvidia and amd have always gone after the performace crown. nvidia is working on something to crack the 5970. and amd is working on something to crack that and so on...

+1

if that was the case then there wouldn't have been the back and forth of what camp has the fastest card over the past 10 years. Having "the best" is something they're always are going to shoot for eventually ;)

Yeah I just picked up 2x 5970 as I did not like the fact that a 480 is going to be about as powerful as 1/2 the 5970... I'm an OC'r so I'll manage to tweak that card some to get the clock up and probably get better performance than SLI'd 480's anyhow!

+1 5990

I'm really hoping for Nvidia to start on Fermi 2. Nvidia needs a die shrink more than a dual GPU.

Even as we speak nVidia has hackers working on a 5970 killer.... virus. ;)

Even as we speak nVidia has hackers working on a 5970 killer.... virus. ;)

Stage 1: Create virus that disables on-board fan controllers and release it to unsuspecting ATI public. Test on a small control group of cards(Nvidia 196.71 drivers) - Check
Stage 2: Adapt it for ATI cards - In progress?
Stage 3: Release final version via mole into ATI software development team - In progress?
Stage 4: ???
Stage 5: profit!

Not necessarily. ATI abandoned chasing after the halo with the 4xxx series and continued the trend with the 5xxx series. It took the dual GPU 4870X2 to top the GTX 280. The 5xxx series was shaping up to place itself into a similar segment (super high price/performance compared to the competition) - only the competition didn't show up and thus ATI got the halo without intending to get it. ATI had the right idea that making the biggest and fastest GPU possible wasn't working any more and set their sights lower (and cheaper) - and hit a bullseye with the people buying the cards.

Not necessarily. ATI abandoned chasing after the halo with the 4xxx series and continued the trend with the 5xxx series. It took the dual GPU 4870X2 to top the GTX 280. The 5xxx series was shaping up to place itself into a similar segment (super high price/performance compared to the competition) - only the competition didn't show up and thus ATI got the halo without intending to get it. ATI had the right idea that making the biggest and fastest GPU possible wasn't working any more and set their sights lower (and cheaper) - and hit a bullseye with the people buying the cards.

I agree with this. Especially now in financially difficult times, price/performance ratio is much more important.

And if u recall amd was caught off guard, they really gave up on that round and focused on the next gen. Nvidia may choose to do that as well.

I think ATI might a slightly more lax attitude about having the very bestest video card. As in they dont rage if they don't have the best, just go back to the drawing board. Basically if they can do it with a dual card and have it beat out what nvidia has they are extremely happy. Thats what they were shooting for, the very top preforming card. When it gets knocked off the crown then they hope it can still be within 10-15% of the top if so they are still happy. Having the best performing card for the last 6 months without anything comming close must have been a massive moral boost to them.

I can only hope that they keep inovating and pushing what a small efficent GPU can do.

Realistically I think two GTX 470(die shrunk or castrated) boards slapped together like the old nvidia dual GPU will be in the near future.

I think ATI might a slightly more lax attitude about having the very bestest video card. As in they dont rage if they don't have the best, just go back to the drawing board. Basically if they can do it with a dual card and have it beat out what nvidia has they are extremely happy. Thats what they were shooting for, the very top preforming card. When it gets knocked off the crown then they hope it can still be within 10-15% of the top if so they are still happy. Having the best performing card for the last 6 months without anything comming close must have been a massive moral boost to them.

I can only hope that they keep inovating and pushing what a small efficent GPU can do.

ATI has actually said that they weren't chasing the halo. They weren't going for it at all. Here are two great reads:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3469
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3740

Here are some quotes:
Not only was G80 very good, but without AA resolve hardware the R600 had an even tougher time competing. ATI had lost the halo, ATI’s biggest chip ever couldn’t compete with NVIDIA’s big chip and for the next year ATI’s revenues and marketshare would suffer. While this was going on, Carrell was still trying to convince everyone working on the RV770 that they were doing the right thing, that winning the halo didn’t matter...just as ATI was suffering from not winning the halo. He must’ve sounded like a lunatic at the time.

It’s easy to, today, look back and say “of course” but you have to understand that this was 2005 and the first specifications of RV770 were being drafted. Imagine sitting at a table full of people whose jobs were supported by building the biggest GPUs in the world and suggesting that perhaps we sit this round out. Let NVIDIA take the crown, let them have the halo part, we’ll compete in the $200 - $300 market. Yeah, right.

Realistically I think two GTX 470(die shrunk or castrated) boards slapped together like the old nvidia dual GPU will be in the near future.

My thought as well, but I wouldn't expect it to even become acknowledged until late June/early July. They might go the route that AMD is going with the overclocked 4GB 5970s, where it's not an official product, but something the AIBs are free to build and released.

Back