When will we see some really good LCD's ?

radpilot

n00b
Does anyone have info on when will we see some really good LCD's ,such as ones with viewing angles of at least 160/160, 24bit color and response time 12ms or less?
I know several LCD's were released (Dell 2001FP, Samsung 172X, Viewsonic VP171B etc) that nearly made it to be the one but had one flaw or another.
What happened to promising technologies such as FFD or similar ones?:)

Although you mentioned the 2001fp, the only flaw I've heard of is the backlight problem which doesn't appear in all models. I don't believe that's a big enough problem to not consider it a "reall good LCD". I play games on it all the time, actually that's all I do really besides surfing here and there and it hasnt let me down yet.

You are right the Dell2001FP is a step towards the right direction.

Iam interested more in FFD tech which was announced back in 2001 and promised responses times less than 10ms and max 20ms.
This is the only article I found which points to a second generation FFD.
http://www.sid.org/conf/sid2003/advprg/48.html

Quoting
"A New LCD Controller for Improvement of Response Time by Compression FFD (11:00)

J. Someya, N. Okuda, H. Yoshii, M. Yamakawa
Mitsubishi Electric Corp., Kyoto, Japan
H. Oura, A. Minami, H. Tachibana
Advanced Display Corp., Kumamoto, Japan

A new LCD controller having a compression FFD inside, which will be a second-generation FFD, has been developed. This LCD controller can offer nearly ideal performance in improving the response time through utilization of the image compression technology."

Anyone???

When will we see some really good LCD's ?

The question itself is subjective to ones likes and dislikes.
My current LCD I would consider "good" and worthy of
what it can do.

Maybe a better way of putting this question is:
When will we see some better LCD's then those currently being produced ?

or you can rephrase the question as:
When will I see some really good LCD's ?

because for some of of us there already here....

As far as I am aware the FFD technologies are quite costly and are thus finding their ways into larges screen flat panel TV's at the moment and have not migrated down to conusmer level PC flat panels.

Of course you are correct i should rephrase it to "when will I see".
And the stats I would like to see are as I already said in the top of the post 24bit color, more than 160/160 angle of view and 12ms or less response time not just for white/black transitions .
:) :) :)

Personally I think they have now sqeezed every drop of performance they can out of LCD's now. We may see Contrast ratios go upto 1000:1+ but I think thats the only spec that is going to improve.

The next promising technology is OLED displays. Imagine an LCD type display with instant response times, superior colour reproduction and perfect quality at EVERY angle. However, it'll be 2007/8 before we see proper computer displays. The technology will no doubt be the ultimate thing over Plasma and LCD's for TV use too!

Originally posted by sanchez_1960
Personally I think they have now sqeezed every drop of performance they can out of LCD's now. We may see Contrast ratios go upto 1000:1+ but I think thats the only spec that is going to improve.

The next promising technology is OLED displays. Imagine an LCD type display with instant response times, superior colour reproduction and perfect quality at EVERY angle. However, it'll be 2007/8 before we see proper computer displays. The technology will no doubt be the ultimate thing over Plasma and LCD's for TV use too!
I agree.. as I understand it, the faster monitors have to compromise viewing angle and color depth in favor of the fast matrix. I don't think we'll be seeing fast and flawless screens any time soon, and if we do they will most likely be out of our pricerange.

OLED is very interesting, has the digital nature of LCD panels but the pixels react almost instantaneously for no ghosting and the colors are the same from every angle like a CRT. Those are far off from release though. Main reason I think is because they still haven't gotten the larger panels' life to a reasonable level yet.

I remember reading about FFD in 2002 I think, and it hadn't been utilized through the years because the creator (Mitsubishi?) charges too much for the FFD controllers, about triple the price of a regular controller last I knew (that was info from early last year though).

HJey.Do you know if that Dell monitor is produced also in 17 inches and with the same characteristics??

Back