• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

When will we see hex core CPUs for workstations?

leahzero

Weaksauce
Joined
May 7, 2008
Messages
81
Per the recent news about the i7 980X hex-core CPU, which is branded as an "extreme"/enthusiast chip, I'm curious:

When do you think we'll see hex-core CPUs that are branded/marketed as "workstation" (or "server") chips?

I'm interested in a six-core CPU for my work (3D rendering and video encoding), so the branding of Intel's first hex-core CPU as an "extreme" enthusiast chip is a little off-putting.

At this point, rather than paying a steep premium for the i7 980X, I'd prefer to go the render farm route with a couple cheap quad-core boxes that will offer more processing power per dollar.

I guess I'm not really seeing what role this CPU is meant to fill. It could be a great workstation/server chip, but instead it's marketed towards enthusiasts who are likely not even tapping the full potential of their current quad cores...

Thoughts?
 
Intel actually released their first 6-core chips exactly 15 months ago (4 different models...there even was a 65w model too). They're just server only. If you want cost effectiveness, get a dual socket board with a couple quad cores.
 
Intel actually released their first 6-core chips exactly 15 months ago (4 different models...there even was a 65w model too). They're just server only. If you want cost effectiveness, get a dual socket board with a couple quad cores.

Are there any i7 multi-socket motherboards? I'm not finding any.
 
Back
Top