When will we see HDMI 2.1?

sphinx99

[H]ard|Gawd
I’d like my next purchase (from a GTX 1080) to be HDMI 2.1 capable for 4K 120Hz 4:4:4 desktop use. Have either AMD or nVidia indicated when they expect their cards to support high refresh rate UHD?

Another year out at least.

It’s all bound up in the home theater world too.

AVRs, projectors, etc.

The Denon x8500h which is probably around six months old is the first AVR I’ve read about that will allow the future replacement of the current HDMI board to 2.1. But it’s not even dated release yet.

Pretty sure we'll see some of the 1st by next summer. Haven't really heard anything concrete yet but rumors point to the gens after what we have this year.

Yeah, Nvidia has a long habit of waiting at least two years before supporting a new HDMI standard. As-opposed to DP, where they support it within a year.

AMD is all over the place, and shouldn't be counted on for anything.

HDMI 2.1 first appeared last fall, so Fall 2020 is the earliest you can expect things.

I dabble in several areas, and claim no expert knowledge in this...but. ;) Having just purchased a new television that supports HDMI 2.1, I've been trying to understand the tech, the ratings, and the labeling (or adherence to standards).

For 8k/60 or 4k/120 (with 4:4:4 and HDR), it is desirable to have "High Speed HDMI" which passes 18Gbps. The next level is "Ultra 8k High Speed" which passes 48Gbps.

I'm not sure what eARC requirements (on top of the above 4k/120) would need. I -do- know that it is VERY hard to determine the ratings of a lot of cables and whether an active cable is needed or recommended. (My TV HDMI ports are rated for 48 Gbps, so I'd like to have HDMI cables to match that rating...but all I've found at that speed are 1 foot or 3 foot lengths. Too short for my setup.)

The next few years should (I hope) see the adoption of SPEED RATINGS (similar to the change to wifi labeling) so that the consumer can match his content creation device (PC, DVD player, video card, etc.), to the cable, to the content imager (monitor, TV, projector).

I dabble in several areas, and claim no expert knowledge in this...but. ;) Having just purchased a new television that supports HDMI 2.1, I've been trying to understand the tech, the ratings, and the labeling (or adherence to standards).

For 8k/60 or 4k/120 (with 4:4:4 and HDR), it is desirable to have "High Speed HDMI" which passes 18Gbps. The next level is "Ultra 8k High Speed" which passes 48Gbps.

I'm not sure what eARC requirements (on top of the above 4k/120) would need. I -do- know that it is VERY hard to determine the ratings of a lot of cables and whether an active cable is needed or recommended. (My TV HDMI ports are rated for 48 Gbps, so I'd like to have HDMI cables to match that rating...but all I've found at that speed are 1 foot or 3 foot lengths. Too short for my setup.)

The next few years should (I hope) see the adoption of SPEED RATINGS (similar to the change to wifi labeling) so that the consumer can match his content creation device (PC, DVD player, video card, etc.), to the cable, to the content imager (monitor, TV, projector).
High Speed HDMI (18Gbps) is only good for 4K60 at 4:4:4 without HDR.
To get 10bit HDR you must use 4:2:2 or 4:2:0, or 8bit HDR output (ie stick with RGB full instead of ycbcr) but expect occasional banding at times.

4K120 and higher needs HDMI 2.1.
4K60 4:4:4 HDR requires HDMI 2.1.

Hopefully things are different now, but for a while manufacturers were selling devices labeled as HDMI 2.1 (TV's and AVR's) that only partially followed the spec.
Feels like it has taken forever to reach the mainstream compared to previous revisions. I love the idea of high refresh rates and adaptive sync features for televisions.

When ever the companies feel that +4K is no longer a tiny, tiny niche and they can make a profit.

And it might take a long time, just look at Steam's data
~65% are still rocking 1080p.
~5% are on 1440p
<3% are on higher resolution

You are a niche of a niche...it will take time.

I’d like my next purchase (from a GTX 1080) to be HDMI 2.1 capable for 4K 120Hz 4:4:4 desktop use. Have either AMD or nVidia indicated when they expect their cards to support high refresh rate UHD?

I think in October/Nov we will start to see announcements of HDMI2.1 Monitors. Just in time for the Holiday season and possibly new GPU enroute.

As much as I look forward to this, in the back of my mind I can't help but visualize having to buy a new TV, AVR, and a bunch of new cables. All of which are going to be expensive and likely have technical kinks to work out.
Still, the idea of being able to play on a 75" TV at 4K/120fps with adaptive sync sounds divine.

As much as I look forward to this, in the back of my mind I can't help but visualize having to buy a new TV, AVR, and a bunch of new cables. All of which are going to be expensive and likely have technical kinks to work out.

I'd just buy one cable and hook whatever you have up to the TV direct until you have cause to upgrade the rest. Don't know of any feature of HDMI 2.1 that would be useful for anything other than gaming except eARC, and that gets a solid whatever from me for gaming.

[granted at some point it will be nice to get it all plugged in together...]

I'd just buy one cable and hook whatever you have up to the TV direct until you have cause to upgrade the rest. Don't know of any feature of HDMI 2.1 that would be useful for anything other than gaming except eARC, and that gets a solid whatever from me for gaming.

[granted at some point it will be nice to get it all plugged in together...]
eARC doesnt even need HDMI 2.1, it has been back ported to some HDMI 2.0b devices.
Same with Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and VRR.
My Denon X4400H AVR amp received them in updates, its a 2018 model.

edit
my 2018 Samsung TV also got VRR, bummed it didnt get eARC though.

Yeah, Nvidia has a long habit of waiting at least two years before supporting a new HDMI standard. As-opposed to DP, where they support it within a year.

AMD is all over the place, and shouldn't be counted on for anything.

HDMI 2.1 first appeared last fall, so Fall 2020 is the earliest you can expect things.

I can push 4K 60Hz on a R9 - 280 .. all over the place my ass ,

I still game on 1080p and have both a 1440p and 4k monitor. I prefer to game on my 1080p 144hz monitor over anything else.

I will take a high frame rate over a high resolution anyday.

Back